The latest on MLS and ROchester

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by nyrmetros, May 20, 2004.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they're not - not right now, and not for a while.

Those other teams in other sports get those TV dollars because there's intrinsic interest in the sport, expressed first as attendance and then as TV ratings (and the revenue that can be generated by them).

I can't think of a team sport that has bad attendance but good TV numbers.

If you're hoping that the Great TV Revenue Pumpkin is going to rise out of the pumpkin patch and save MLS, I would advise you not to hold your breath. MLS can do fine as a niche sport once it has completed the objective of funnelling all of the revenue streams in. But I don't think it's ever going to command big TV dollars.

2. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think MLS can grow enough without going after the top TV dollars to eventually command top dollar. And an exciting new venue they are going after is the internet broadcast. Now if only they'd advertise their internet broadcast via AOL IM or another high use outlet.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope internet broadcasting becomes lucrative. If it does, MLS will have stuff in place already. I don't know that it will, but I don't know that it won't, either.

4. furie

furie Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York needs a team. Rhinos on '05!

5. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.

I like that. But that makes it difficult as a fan. There will be professional soccer in this country - and more than likely it will be MLS. But, as you say, it will not grow in a way in which we are accustomed, thus making progress harder for us to measure.

6. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not the only one who hopes that. ;)

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ken ,

If you are to look at soccer across the globe you will see that only a handful of leagues have attendace higher then MLS. If you cross out the top 10 leagues MLS would be top of the rest in attendance. You will ask yourself , How do those leagues make it with attendace number under 10 k and pay their player 2 and 3 mil a year. That is what i am talking about. One cannot deny the fact that lets say 100 mil/year in TV revenue wouldn't help MLS. Ultimately you cannot say that TV is not important, other soccer leagues survive becouse of it.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've missed....my point.

I didn't say TV wasn't important. Yeah, it would be nice to have that revenue. But, as I said, you only get TV money when you have proven interest in your sport, most often expressed first and foremost with people who pony up to attend games in person. European teams and leagues are losing scads of money and going into administration, are they not?

I'm sure it's been discussed on here before, and I don't have the link, but I'd love to see the list of world leagues and their average attendances. More importantly, I'd like to see the list of world leagues and the revenue they generate and the amount of money the teams spend.

Point being this: As I've long said, if you're hoping for that one big TV contract to save MLS, don't hold your breath. If it's going to come, it's going to come because the sport becomes popular as a spectator sport, and the amount of tickets you can sell is going to drive any interest from television.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to follow up on that, some European leagues and their average attendances:

League.................G......Total.....Average
    German Bundesliga.....306..11,432,307...37,360
    English Premier.......380..13,313,427...35,035
    Spain La Liga.........359..10,426,760...29,043
    Italy Serie A.........306...7,934,578...25,930
    French Ligue 1........379...7,667,026...20,230
    Dutch Eredivisie......299...4,906,425...16,409
    English Division One..547...8,740,120...15,978
    Scottish Premier......216...3,288,842...15,226
    Portugal..............306...2,899,099....9,474
    English Div. Two......556...4,191,051....7,537
    English Div. Three....555...3,018,009....5,437
    English Conference....467.....922,735....1,975

All from soccerstats.com. I can't find a good resource for leagues outside of Europe, though, so if you know of any, let me know.

The other thing about all those other leagues is that the domestic soccer league is, by and large, the television sports property to have - it's not like they have a boatload of sports for networks to spend tons of money on. That lack of supply helps drive up the cost to the networks as well.

10. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.geocities.com/worldfootballrankings2003/Top125Leagues.html

wasn't able to copy and paste but MLS is the 12th league in soccer attendance (stats seem to be from last season)

1.England 35,170
    2.Germany 33,380
    3.Spain 29,209
    4.Italy 25,916
    5.Mexico 21,928
    6.France 19,433
    7.Argentina 17,676
    8.China 16,766
    9. Netherlands 16,091
    10. Korea 16,023
    11. Japan 15,930
    12. USA 15,852
    13.Scotland 15,661
    14. England 15,237 ( first div)
    15.Indonesia 15,029
    16.Russia 11,643
    17.Algeria 11,210
    18.Iran 11,199
    19.Brazil 10,703
    20.Germany 10,198 (second div)
    21.Sweden 10,161
    22. Belgium 10,148
    others
    South Africa 10,068
    Turkey 9,064
    Colombia 8,714
    Ukraine 7,629
    Romania 7,139
    Portugal 7,095
    Denmak 5,667
    Poland 5,326
    Chile 5,281

USA indoor soccer 5, 068
    A-League 3,037

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff, thanks. I'd like to be able to find the numbers for some of those non-Euro leagues for the most recent season.

12. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    This doesn't really have anything to do with Rochester or Soccer, but since we are talking attendance and average... Here are some numbers I would love to see in MLS :)

New England....70,469
    Denver............70,880
    Chicago..........65,255
    Washington.... 75,372
    Kansas City.....72,742
    NY Jets...........73,113
    San Francisco..65,646
    Dallas.............66,981

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    ;)

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'd like to see Molly Sims under my Christmas tree. Both are equally likely.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean for me. I meant for the league. Soccer broadcasting's never going to be very lucrative for mic jockeys. That's not why we do it.

15. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
  16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand how SLC has stepped in front of Rochester as a front runner for MLS expansion.

I hate it.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester would probably be ahead if the park was going to be done this year. In any case they're a "very strong candidate" for 2006, so what are you worried about? If Utah gets in, and they start next year, they'll be ramping up in a very short period of time and playing in a less-than-optimal stadium situation for at least a couple of years. If Rochester comes in after that, they'll have their organization in place, years of a track record and history, and a brand new stadium.

So what are you worried about? That they'll get their team first? So what?

18. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rhinos management continues to say they are in close talk with the comissioners office. It seems likely they have informed him that PTP won't realistically open until June or July of next year, and HQ wanted a stadium available on opening day. Rochester just doesn't have any other stadiums that seat 20k and up, like SLC and Seattle already do. (A side note: Rochester is the largest metropolitan area in the US without D1 athletics or a major league team.) I would really like to see Seattle join the league and hope they can come up with an ownership group.

Again Chris Economides the Rhinos GM has said it's really not a matter of IF anymore but when. And it is looking more and more like 2006 is when.

19. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the news today that a stadium in SJ is unlikely, does this add any credence to the 'Quakes franchise relocating to Rochester?

What if the net gain for the western conference next year was only +1?

Would people in Rochester cheer for that roster without LD?

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, they'd likely have Chris Carrieri. What's not to cheer? ;)

21. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it would mean the return of Pat Onstad. And Jamil Walker would be returning to his hometown and would get warm welcomes IF he ever got any playing time.

BUT could I ever cheer for Richard Mulrooney or Jeff Agoos or Craig Waibel? I'm not so sure.

22. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I could cheer for DeRo and Manny for sure, for sure.

23. Braveheart_NY

Braveheart_NY New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    New York
    Why is MLS overlooking Rochester. over 14,000 for a mid week friendly game and averaging around 10,000 in the A-league. I don't buy that small market crap. With Buffalo & Syracuse nearby Rochester can more than hold its own. MLS should be searching for investors for Rochester. Rochester (Soccer Town) for MLS 2005.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't.

Just not for 2005 because the stadium isn't done yet, and may not be done in time to start the season.

But Garber said they're a viable candidate for 2006. In fact, here's everything Garber had to say on Rochester on May 19:

"You know, every day they get more and more viable, it really is amazing what’s going on with their team both on and off the field. They compete well, they’re managed very well, Frank DuRoss the owner is a great operator, Attendance-wise they’re doing well. Rochester is a market that at some point, if not some point soon, that we need to be in. Now, again, it’s not a market that is going to help us as much as we need help in some of the large cities that we hope to be in from a television perspective, but we need more people supporting the game of soccer. At some point we’re going to have 20 teams and at some point we’re going to be in places like Rochester, so, now that they’re going to be in a facility in 2005, they go really high up on our list. Rochester is a viable candidate, not in 2005, but very likely in 2006."

(Emphasis mine)

25. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Well if i was the MLS i would naturally choose Rochester as it seems to me (being an outsider) a football city and with a team it will be a 'football capital' with it's support behind it.