The latest sedition of, Fox News actively makes you stupid

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, May 23, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you have never heard of The Brian Jonestown Massacre...you are missing out.

crazypete13 repped this.
  2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    And that guy is a raging asshole! Great psych-rock tho.

There’s a documentary. It is.... enlightening.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This album cover

fe2587822524c3f4aacc452b613f209a.jpg

And We Didn't Start the Fire was a ripoff of It's The End of the World As We Know It

Attached Files:

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He has mental issues for sure but he is a genius. They launched 3 albums in one year...LOL The documentary you are thinking about is DIG! about BJM vs The Dandy Warhols which are, meh!

crazypete13 repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dude, he's not going to actually throw the rock. He's a passable pianist who wrote some good, reasonably thoughtful pop, like Elton John did at his best. You're not gonna read about him trashing hotel rooms and shit like that just to boost his street cred. Pop pianists don't need street cred.

If you want examples of self-destructive behavior, you need to check out... jazz.
    A Who's Who of folks that should have had standing invites to the Betty Ford Clinic, but were born too early.

REM didn't start the fire, either. I bet both bands heard Reunion first, even tho they dealt with music only. And I don't necessarily think they were the first- this is just the first tune I know of where high-speed name droppin' was used.

russ repped this.
  6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5881 ChrisSSBB, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Pretty much everything is derivative in the music world. Anyway, I saw Billy Joel in concert for $2 at a local theater in 1973. Kind of unpolished but it was a small setting and couldn't beat the price. Here is a portion of that concert with a very young Billy Joel voice.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    1962 (though original was from Australia)

song219 and russ repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Why bother with BJ when the 70s already had Zevon who's like 80 jagillion times better?

xtomx and russ repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Werewolves Of London guy? Well, that's a whole 'nother argument you're putting forward now. You were emoting over an album cover. I replied to that.

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My fave is Lawyers,Guns,and,Money.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I'm a huge, huge U2 stan.
    2. Their show in Chapel Hill in 1983 as the 3rd act on a 4 act bill is locally legendary. I was there.
    3. I used to have The Joshua Tree as one of my top 5 albums. Whether it's from overlistening or a change in my taste, it's not near that now.
    4. They left 2 brilliant songs off that album, Spanish Eyes and Silver and Gold. If they had put one of them on instead of Still Haven't Found, it would have been a better album.
    5. Um, Achtung Baby? That's a great, great album.
    6. Their first 3 albums are bursting with potential, but weren't quite...polished or something. Can't quite put my finger on how to describe it, but a tighter hand from the producer or engineer would have improved those albums without losing the spark.
    7. They put out a bunch of good-not-great albums after Achtung. Clearly better than REM after, say, Automatic for the People.

luftmensch, dapip and Mike03 repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That's weird. I would have guessed that you had a bit of taste.

ElJefe repped this.
  13. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Probably best show I've ever been to was at Palladium in NYC in May of that same year. Return show in the summer at the Pier was great but didn't have that same energy, just a bigger crowd.

Funny, my favorite albums (and even now) are the first three, perhaps because of that unpolished raw power. Goose bumps remembering the opening of that first concert... Out of Control. I was in the first row right under Edge at the Palladium show and nearly got crushed to death, seriously. It was crazy. Had to jump up and crouch on that lower part of the stage where the security sat, so I was close enough to get a sweat shower from Edge.... ughh gross.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. New Adventures in Hi Fi is ridiculously underrated and better than most of U2's albums, much less anything after Achtung Baby.

Cascarino's Pizzeria and InTheSun repped this.
  15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm a U2 fan as well. I have taste. When I got a chance to see them for free (benefits of working in entertainment), I went, at my parents insistence. My friend and I weren't expecting much, but after the show, we were blown away. I'm not a religious person at all, but it was the closest thing to a religious experience I ever had.

I'll add that their albums ranging from War to Acthung Baby are brilliant. Their creative output from 87-91 is on another level, though. Few artists are capable of achieving that kind of creative output, closest I can think of is Prince and Joni Mitchell.

Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm a U2 fan. I have taste. What do YOU dig that would have been played on standard AM or FM radio at any time during the last 50 years?

They made what I consider to be the greatest live rock album of all time (certainly the best I've heard) peaked around Unforgettable Fire and began a slow dropoff from there. I tend to think two things happened to them:

1) They stopped taking themselves seriously (I can't recall the last time I heard Bono say anything like, "Well, the god I believe in isn't short of cash, Mister". Just an example)
    2) The became more... polished, which ruined their vibe. They are, at heart, a thinking man's band, with a punk band's lack of individual musical technique. A thinking man's punk band, talk about a contradiction. But it came together so musically, worked brilliantly in U2's case.

I was looking at a webpage dedicated to remarkable basses and came across Nick Beggs' early 80s Wal, which he used on Too Shy. Which led me to listen to the beginning of the tune again. Which led me to listen to some Duran Duran and Level 42. Those guys could all play their asses off, at least in a rock context. That wasn't what made U2 great, and the minute they tried to sound more like guys who could play, it all went wrong.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Robert Pollard fan, I read this and think "Well, doesn't EVERYBODY?"

crazypete13, Cris 09 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So yesterday, after posting about how much I used to love The Joshua Tree, I decided to actually listen to it (or at least much of it) on YouTube.

The spell seems to have broken. It no longer works for me.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Like I said earlier, If Bono had offed himself after the Unforgettable Fire, U2 would have been an all-time great band. Unfortunately for everyone, he didn't.

20. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I saw them in ‘97 & ‘01, neither were particularly good or bad, just cromulent stadium rock.

Everything prior to the Joshua Tree I made a dub on cassette from, and honestly, they still stand the test of time. Achtung Baby has a ton of nostalgia from that point in my life - the album isn’t that great, but the memories of then are. Actually, Rattle & Hum and the singles from it I appreciate a lot more now rather than how I dismissed it then.

Anything post ‘Anything You Can’t leave Behind’ I actively tried to delete.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    War is my favorite.

Sunday Bloody Sunday!

dapip, russ, yossarian and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Was going to say same thing. REM petered out shortly after New Adventures. But from 1981 to then, REMs growth & album quality is far superior to U2.

Plus, no Bono! :thumbsup:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Ill play trump with XTC. Checkmate.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I forgot that it was you who said that. I did like the post.

All-time great bands have lows. Look at the Beatles' early stuff. It doesn't drop them from the pedestal.

25. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Paging @usscouse - care to offer an opinion?

I hafta disagree even though I prefer their later stuff, their early stuff is lit af.

luftmensch and ChrisSSBB repped this.