The LA Galaxy Wants You!

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Galaxy Steve, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galaxy Steve

Galaxy Steve Member

Jun 15, 2007
    PASADENA AREA
    The LA Galaxy wants to find a way to create a greater emotional attachment and greater affinity to, as well as a stronger sense of ownership of our team by our season ticket holders. One idea is to in essence stop referring to season ticket holders as…season ticket holders. Do this and you automatically create a divide – us and them, team and fans, Galaxy and season ticket holders.

By embracing the fans as part of the Galaxy family you get away from this “us and them” type mentality. You start to build that emotional attachment and give the fans some ownership. We become their organization rather than an organization they support…make sense?

Anyway, one idea is to create a “club” or “name” for our season ticket holders so that when they become a STH they view themselves as part of the Galaxy, having membership to this “club”. Essentially all the benefits of having season seats are received by belonging to the club. Other teams do this – the Phoenix suns season ticket holders are all part of the “Sixth Man” – there are sixth man branded areas at the arena, a special page on the website, and more, the season ticket holders feel they belong to the organization…

So, we want to incorporate the concept…we need a name! We can’t use 12th man – it is trademarked…so put those creative hats on…and post some suggestions for me to take back to the FO.

Thank you,
    Steve Lesse
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ambassador

2. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

The damned.

3. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It reminds me of how Seattle is working with their fans, although LAG STH cannot vote on the GM... becuase we all know how THAT would turn out!

Here are my entries:

Galactic Warriors from the Planet Earth

or...

Warriors To Fight In Young Pro-league

WTFIYP?

Also could be shortened to...

WTF!! <-- A perfect symbol of our last several seasons.

4. 100fuegos

100fuegos New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    The one group that gets the shaft year after year out with higher prices just for been Loyal fans.

How about the SUCKERS

Because I'm one of them.

Lower the prices and you'll get more FANS

5. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Galaxia - "The Galaxy". Play on the words "LA".

6. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    while i appreciate very much the gesture this seems an exercise in semantics. if you truly want to break-down the "us and them" divide the galaxy FO is going to need to actually do real tangible things, not just sitting around wasting time rebranding that which does not need rebranding. season ticket holder as a term is fine, i wouldn't feel any more a part of the galaxy family if i were labeled the galactic super-friends club - i dare say that this new name could very easily cross the bounds of good taste in to embarrassing territory.

some ideas of real things to be done, off the top of my head:

1) expand the lines of communication between fans and the front office. the blog, this post are certainly small steps in the right direction, but as a season ticket holder i don't want my weekly/monthly contact from the galaxy to be a sales pitch.

2) allow tailgating/bring back the bacon wrapped hot-dog vendors. it's small, but part of the charm of the rose bowl was the ability to make an all-day event of galaxy games.

3) as shirteesdotnet says, let season ticket holders have some sort of direct input in to the running of the galaxy. like a corporation season ticket holders should be considered stock holders. at the very least create representative organizations through the existing and future supporters group. give the "president" of each group a vote on the board.

4) be honest with us - stop feeding us bullshit about "super-clubs" and how we're a world-wide brand. you know what? nobody cares, or at least nobody who's been a fan prior to this year. i bet there isn't a pre-2007 fan out there that wouldn't have traded play-off appearances these past two years for david beckham.

5) stop trying to sell me so much crap. walking on the concourse at the HDC feels like i'm at the OC swap meet. use those areas for public picnic style benches to encourage familys

6) stick up for us, publicly. speaking as one lone member of the fanbase i feel the fans have got the short end of the stick from the league. we're attacked by chivas fans and nothing happens (publicly), mls and the other owners demand a schedule that hamstrings the galaxy. i want to hear alexi say "no more" in public.

7) transparency - i want to know who's doing what in the organization. as of today we have cobi, bravo, gullit, lieweke and fuller all seemingly making decisions to the fate of our team. who's really in charge? who makes personnel decisions.

8) why do i have to go to the washington post to get breaking news and rumors about the galaxy?

9) reduce some prices. token gesture, but the galaxy have been raising prices across the board over the past four years while performances have been getting markedly worse. it's a real kick in the pants to endure through the horrible performances of the past 4 year and then be asked to pay more money for the privilege. make parking $5 for the far away lots, and $10 for the closer lots. give STH a free parking pass this year to apologize for the crap we've dealt with. when the galaxy starts dominating again, then go ahead and raise prices.

10) stop making up stupid tournaments because the galaxy isn't good enough to qualify for the last stupid tournament aeg made up.

7. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Sorry dashiel, but those are all meaningful, constructive suggestions.

"Pay no attention to that man and what he's saying...WHERE'S THE COOL NAME???"

8. WAX888

WAX888 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    Ontario, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I am already part of a club that:

-Syphons money out of me at every possible opportunity
    -Provides me crappy food
    -Makes me park on the dirt
    -And makes me feel unappreciated

It's called the Husband's Club. Maybe you can use that name...

Seriously though, THIS:

is all we really want. And it is not too much to ask. It's what every other sports fan in the nation gets. It's the only true American sporting tradition we have as a country. And you stole it from us.

9. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like my idea "Galactic Warriors from the Planet Earth".. we could have a special handshake and all. Even a Na-new, Na-new style greeting!

Dash, I think the FO is on course in a totally OPPOSITE direction that what you are suggesting. Seriously. As STH we used to get a Christmas card from our rep and then didnt bug us back then either, remember? Now the Galaxy were offering a holiday gift pack and a holiday card as part of the deal. When did the FO get so full of themselves that a fan would be willing to pay money to receive a card from them?

I agree. Bring back the tailgating. Bring back the bacon hot dogs.

While I agree that the HDC concourse feels like a swap meet at times... one game I went to (I think against RSL near the end) had a nice dance competition with some old guy dancing his butt off. That was far more entertaining than what the Galaxy were doing on field.

I agree about reducing some prices, but, realistically.. I cant see it happening. If people are willing to pay $20, then they are willing to pay $20. Or $22, or maybe even $25. Milk em if you can. Thats their motto. No way Jose they would CUT the parking. Lastly, in order to afford luxuries like owning a home in Los Angeles area... I dont pay for parking and walk a few blocks as is. I dont buy the styrofoam nachos. I dont drink the $12 beers anymore (ok, we split one).

Part of this for me is about substance too. If the Galaxy cant sport a good team, at least make the parking reasonable and the food of decent quality. Its far too transparent that AEG is just doing all of this to make a buck anymore. Thankfully they want to make a buck otherwise we would have no soccer in LA, but come on.... put in the decent food booths like at Anaheim stadium or Dodger stadium. So you make a little less, but the fans will be happier and come back.

LAG FO has lost me some years back on season tickets. This season they lost me on the parking and on concession foods (we go to Carls before the game now a few blocks away). Theres not much else you can lose me on. The rope is getting thin and near the end guys.

Baseball on a whole, lost me during their 1990s strike and I was a die hard baseball fan and played it in HS. I went to an Angels game last season only becuase I found the GM of RC Earthquakes blackberry phone (while on a hike) and he was nice enough to give me some free tix (1st row, 3rd base side). Outside of that, I refuse to sit near the foul poles at $50 a pop. And besides, all games of MLS and MLB are on sopcast now ;)

10. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Leeds have tried this before, it failed miserably, so if the Galaxy are going to do it I hope it works better. The best thing you can do is address the wishes of the fans who ask for little things, tailgaiting, food vendors etc, and get a fans representative (Leeds have the former playing legend Peter Lorimer as a Director) on the board/into the organisation. If they don't have a democratic presence, they aren't going to feel 'part of the organisation' because they already are part of it as Galaxy fans and ST's.

Its a idea that isn't without merits, but doing the rebranding without some tangible effect on the matchday experience, in terms of their benefit is only window dressing.

Still I'd rather that than the Ken Bates 'like it, lump it or f**k off' style of supporter relations, even if he is sorting the club out on the field, and the facilities off it.

11. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap. . . I never really thought about how much that bothers me. But its totally true.

A-********ing-men. Chivas tacitly encourages flares, smoke bombs, flags, etc. The Riot Squad, who are probably the BEST BEHAVED supporters group in the league (at least in their weight class) get pissed on regularly - by security, by the stadium staff, by the FO. Help us grow.

12. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve, Please dont take offense at all of our suggestions, rants and arguments. We know you are a massive ambassador of the game and a hard core Galaxy fan too. Its just... we arent 12 years old anymore trying to create a movie theater in our parents garage for $2 admission and knowledge of the secret handshake.

We are loyal fans and we are passionate about our team and like Leeds pointed out... its the littlest things that can make a big difference like bringing back the bacon wrapped hot dogs.

Why, I remember the Rose Bowl days and before and after games all you could smell for a mile radius were those bacon wrapped hot dogs. And I even think some of those fans came for a bacon wrapped hot dog and a soccer game as a combo package. The RB used to have big walk up crowds. I know some games they used to go on and on (after game radio) about the walk up attendance being 10 or 15k.

That reminds me.... Id really really like to have the Galaxy games on the radio here in Los Angeles on a station anyone in Los Angeles can tune into. Not everyone has access to internet, and not even that cash1700 worked all the time. Bring back the Galaxy radio please!

13. Galaxy Steve

Galaxy Steve Member

Jun 15, 2007
    PASADENA AREA
    None taken! I want BWHDs and Tailgating as much as any of you! Keep the comments, suggestions, rants, etc. coming.

14. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where you should be.

Leeds appreciate the input, but this is if you are married is where you should be listening more... and as "outsider" you'll understand what a true Galaxy fan goes thru to be a fan of this team in this city.

Dashiel's list is right on. I can't believe I get excited to win a fu*king TIDE T-shirt!! --- A novelty keychain, an antenna ball from Wells Fargo.

It's sad and I have mentioned it every game I go to. But AEG is selling soccer to the masses, and sometimes I wonder if these games I go to are really selling soccer than it is selling a brand name, with David Beckham just a high priced spokesman.

I am angry at Chivas Fan... they are true. they go to games and give just as much passion rightly or wrongly for there team.

I am completely disappointed in Galaxy Fan... A) cause there are not that many in the real world. B) I dont count the other tens of thousands seat fillers as fans but voyeur ghosts who dont really exist in this sport just there taking up space.

If we had a good statistic about how many actual Los Angeles Galaxy fans in this city there are. it would be devestatingly low.

To answer the big question: that is why AEG and MLS sell soccer here like hollywood studios sell movies... all the build up to see the big blockbuster. than go home, but buy the merch.. the dvd.. feel happy with your purchase.

Chivas says "It's in your blood"

Galaxy says "Hello...it's David Beckham."

15. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    stop trying to force something that should be an organic process. we dont need any more gimics.

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team that probably developed the BEST "we" atmosphere is Chicago Fire. Peter Wilt hung out on the BigSoccer boards. He was open, up front and accessible. It may be too late for Alexi to make an appearance here because of the build up of bad feelings, but it would be nice if there was a true FO participant in these discussions - even if their role was to remind us that sometimes we are out of our depth.

Put me down as another fan and STH who checks out Goff every day. How does he have a pipeline to the league and rumors that no reporter is given here? Why is it fortress Galaxy? You have Dave Denholm, an avowed soccer fan and promoter, an LAG STH holder who feels strongly enough about the team to pay his own way, in the media. Use him, for heavens sakes.

Why no flags in Riot Squad? Do you really see them as more dangerous than the Legion?

The team CANNOT be proud of the quality of the concessions. I know there are logistical problems with how small the concession stands are, but the food is cardboard and the lowest common denominator of any modern arena I've been in. You are in the world's most ethnically diverse city - tap into that and exploit it. Where's the Salvadorian food, the Korean food? I could go on and on. To say nothing of the BWHDs.

Organized fan trips away. Travel with an LAG rep. You could contract out the logisitcs to any one of several agencies, and probably even make a few bucks on it. How hard would it be to get enough fans for a charter flight to Salt Lake or Dallas? Tickets, hotel and ground transportation included. A meet and greet with some player or two. There is NOTHING that bonds the supporters like going to an away game.

17. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, great ideas Cadaver... I cant say I would go to a lot of away games, but put me down for a couple in a season. I know Ive never been to SLC or Denver so it would be a lot of fun.

18. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC

Quoted for truth, the best thing about away trips is meeting the players, feeling part of the hardcore of the clubs support etc, and perhaps peoples views of Alexi would mellow a little if the club showed a human side in this way.

19. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    Look for example at a team like Newcastle. They are the farthest EPL team in the north and still they manage to sell out each away game they go to. Sometimes this entails a 16 hour round trip. They have groups that organize trips all the time. Their unofficial webpage (www.nufc.com) is run by two guys who are in contact with the FO of NUFC and they set up trips, deals etc all the time. For each home game they do a contest with a local diner. The diner picks either the score or the first goal scorer and if their prediction comes true they refund the full bill of those who ate their before the match.

The MLS has so much to learn. There are many opportunities for outreach in the community they just choose not to do them. I would love to have a fan organized trip to San Jose or Salt Lake City. I would love to meet at a pub or bar before the game and have some food and drink with my fellow fans.

What it all comes down to is the FO of the Galaxy needs to pull their heads out of their asses and quit basking the glory of signing Beckham and get to work on bridging the gap. This hangover can only last so long and it won't be long before people start getting really pissed.

20. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring the King Taco truck we left at the Rose :(

21. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring the King Taco truck we left at the Rose Bowl...:(

22. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    i like this

23. LA4Life

LA4Life Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm already packing, are we wearing the blues or whites? Great ideas going on here!

Get rid of the "please direct your attention to the diamond vision" announcements during the game, give the guys on the field more respect than that, and give the fans a chance to watch the game without finding the "lucky fan" "best dancing fan" "glidden official paint fan" and "extreme can of beans lucky winner" type contests that diminish the product you should be selling.

The FO should look at fans as supporters of "the team" aka "the product" and not look at us as 25,000 captive eyes to use to sell marketing space, cotton candy, and any other products I didn't want or I'd already own.

Success to AEG and success to the STHs and fans needs to be one and the same, is it? Do I really care how many Beckham shirts you've sold? Last year was a circus from the day Beckham was announced, please right this ship and focus on a quality team, and let Lalas stand up for what's good for the team, even if it costs AEG some profit.

The ONLY reason I renewed my STH for this year is because you opened that dirt cheap section in the second level. If not for that you would have lost me at "Pavon".

24. Since1996

Since1996 New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I think this is a great idea and one that's long overdue. I have often wondered why the Galaxy FO has done so little to tap into the STH base to channel the hard core fan's passion constructively.

HOWEVER, do not start this process by focusing on a catchy name. That is everything that is wrong with the Front Office. My perception, and I suspect that of other STH's, is that the front office is all about superficiality. Give us substance! Show us that the front office is serious. Show us by real, persistent action not by superficial phrases.

My first suggestion would be to have a series of STH townhall meetings with the front office staff. Take the time to get a sense of the issues which STH's are passionate about. I don't think a name change is all that important to us. I don't know what is AND please send the message to the front office that the front office DOESN'T KNOW either!!! Send the message that if they truly want STH's involved then the front office will need to be involved with us, they need to know us, they need to know what we REALLY care about.

25. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

_ +1

If you want to be serious about this, hire Dashiel as a consultant.

If you just want to make us feel better at no cost or investment on your end, have Galaxy Steve post on Bigsoccer and work hard all off-season coming up with a super cool name that will make us all smile as we fork over our hard earned cash...