The Kovacs Are The Difference

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Ethel The Frog, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Well, I was happy to see the Bayern/Schalke game this weekend on Fox Sports World, or at least part of it.

It seems that Bayern has put its defensive house in order, and I think the secrets are: (1) Lizarazu being healthy gives them a secure left side, and (2) Nico Kovacs at right wing gives more a defensive right side than Salihamidzic did. With the defensive talents of Lizarazu, Kovacs, Kovacs, Jeremies, Linke, Hargreaves and Kahn, Bayern seemed solid.

This allowed Ze Roberto to play well (something I have never seen him do, though he has a great reputation). Ballack was able to participate in both the attack and defense. (As was Lizarazu).

In sum, Bayern looked good to me. Too bad their start to the season was so shaky.

I wonder if Nico Kovacs is going to be playing in that spot regularly, or if he is just there for now to get him enough exposure for the transfer market.

2. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    I don't think that the names are the key for Bayern's success. They found back to their old system, which is securing defence first before daring to cross the middle line. Both Bayern vs Schalke games (cup + league) went very similar with about both teams having eight players mainly caring for the defence and two lonely forwards who in vain tried to create chances. The system is successful, but very disgusting and ugly to watch.

3. I suppose you are right. But for me the Schalke game was enjoyable because Bayern pushed its left side forward in the attack. In addition to the two forwards, Ze Roberto, Ballack and Lizerazu were all involved in the attack at times. In fact, even Nico Kovacs put in some decent crosses. It was not pure pack it back or pure hack and slash. Nor was it as dull as some of the Dortmund games I have sat through recently.

I was also glad that Bayern did not come up with the full three points because that keeps a little tension at the top of the league.