The Klinsmann Coaching thread, v1

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bungadiri, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the recent friendly results were encouraging, but they now seem to be anomalous. I was surprised that we managed the win at Azteca, and judging by the bemused look on Klinsmann's face after the game, he was as well. At no point was the team actually playing for a win, and it didn't seem like Mexico was giving 100% effort either.

The play of Tim Howard and Geoff Cameron basically saved that game for us. They were nothing short of outstanding.

Even though Orozco scored the goal, he is not really a great player. He was mediocre during his time with the Union, and although he certainly wasn't the worst player to ever anchor the Union's back line, the FO didn't think highly enough of him to buy him from San Luis. Honestly, I was shocked when Klinsmann began to call him up with some regularity. Either the player pool is much shallower than it seems or Klinsmann's judgement is suspect. I'm beginning to conclude the latter.

The midfield could barely string two passes together in the Azteca and it was not much better against a far inferior side in Kingston. Set piece failures are inevitable, so we can't defend all game and expect to win. The coach has to work some attacking players into the lineup, especially in these home Cup qualifier games.

It's pretty distressing that the best a guy who is paid 10x as much as Bradley can come up with is parking the bus in a 4-5-1 during away games. Hell, Gulati could've hired Peter Nowak to do that. We should be better than that, especially against CONCALAUGH minnows like Jamaica. I just hope that Klinsmann has learned something from Friday's loss. But I doubt he did.

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I view this as a good omen - the media started turning against him after the France fiasco last November, and things changed for the better against Slovenia.

3. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Sad that the thing that motivates Klinsmann to improve is wanting to look good in the press, rather than being motivated by the fortunes of the team he coaches.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Even better. He's a politician who looks at polls.

Tonight is his Sven moment.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    My how Spursfan has gone missing.

6. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Results since January: WWWWLTWTWL. This loss is more the anomaly than the win at Azteca.

The Mob spake before the game at Azteca and got it totally wrong. Just as one unexpected, remarkable win doesn't make JK a genius, one unexpected, remarkable loss doesn't make him an idiot.

That said, they need to play well and get 3 points tonight. While a 0-1 loss to France is no fiasco, that loss to Jamaica was.

Mestes and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hmmm, as I've indicated before, the jury is very much out if we'll ever get proactive, possession soccer out of our players. It really feels like what Klinsmann needs is a player like Reyna and he just doesn't have him. What it also really feels like is that Klinsmann is certain that Edu, Bradley, and Jones can be the players that can hold that possession. Yes, I'm at a loss for words also. However, he does have a point that these are our players in the highest level of competition. Although Edu needed a Klinsy boost to get there. So from his point of view these top class (or at least as top as we can get them) should be able to muster a technical level on par with say Kljestan and Feilhaber who play at a lower level. He may have a point with Bradley but it looks like Edu and Jones are not going to arrive there.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    England is also awesome in friendlies, and in games that matter tends to underperform...

And their fans are also sick of never getting past a WC QF. Basically, it's like the USA, just one step higher.

9. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    And Bimmer and HoustonHoya, et al.

10. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I was under the impression from the Kinsmann clan that friendlies are completely meaningless and the only games that mattered were qualifiers.

Now that we've looked like pure crap in our 3 qualifiers, the positive friendly results suddenly matter.

Hypocrisy runs amok.

11. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps there is a grid or a map showing how we actually played great?

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does, but he's currently injured.

Bradley is better than Reyna.

13. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    LOL. I made a post almost immediately following the game Friday waiting for Houtson to post a stat that demonstrated how the Jamaica game was a tactical master class in attacking soccer conducted by Klinsmann.

I don't think the guy has made a post since Friday.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect people are waiting until after tonight's game and hoping for a blowout.

15. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Hell, it wouldn't even take a blowout. We could win 1-0 and the goal could be a fluke where the Jamaica goalie takes a goal kick and a gust of wind blows it back into the goal and guys like Houston and Bimmer and Spurs will storm BigSoccer with a chorus of "I told you sos" and charts and graphs depicting the tactical genius of Klinsmann.

16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest I think it will be a blowout considering all the different factors.

If this is another lame duck performance and/or result my concern will go from mild to very real.

17. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Dominant first half with nothing to show for it. The longer it stays scoreless, the more risks we'll have to take, opening things up for the counter.

As good as we looked in the first 45, we've all seen countless games where one team dominates but winds up on the wrong end of the scoreline.

18. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been pleasantly surprised at how we have been playing and can't for the life of me can't figure how we haven't been playing like that

19. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    It's funny how when Klinsmann abandons his preferred tactics we actually look good.

Hmmmmm.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh that's right. Jamaica wasn't pressuring :-/

Mr Martin and CDM76 repped this.
  21. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly, Klinsmann keeps trying to use defensive midfielders on the flanks. His biggest mistake in tonight's game was putting in Edu for Zusi. Not because Edu did anything wrong, but because putting in Edu moved Williams out to the right side. Williams had his best 70 minutes in a US shirt until Edu came in, and then he looked lost on the wing.

22. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Ohboyherewego.jpg

23. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 1st half and the first 15 min of the 2nd half demonstrated how good we can be. The last 30 mins of the second half demonstrated how bad Klinsmann is as a coach and tactician.

His tactics and subs after the Gomez goal were horrid. You go in for the kill after that goal. We were absolutely dominating them and they'd offered no threat of scoring. Yet Klinsmann elects to go into bunker mode, AT HOME against f*****g JAMAICA!? Done with this clown...

24. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to disagree. The players decided to bunker IMO and JK puts in two offensive subs to get the spark back...didn't work out. I hate how we always want to sit on a lead. It's like the USA's default mode. Frustrating.

25. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I was just about to post the exact same thing.

We started in a 4-4-2 with two DCMs on the field. We looked good. Probably would have looked even better if we had the ability to sub out Jones for a healthy Bradley. If anything, we've seen that we don't always have to clog the midfield with defensive players.

Also was going to point out that unsurprisingly, D. Williams had his best game in a US jersey when he was put in a position to actually succeed. Same for the midfield in general by playing guys in positions where they could actually succeed.

Sadly, once Klinsmann made subs and brought on a 3rd DCM and moved Williams to the right, Jamaica made the last 20 minutes more nerve-wracking than that game needed to be.

I sincerely hope that Jurgen learns from the lessons presented in this game. Given his history, I doubt that will happen and we will revert back to starting 3 DCMs in a 4-5-1 in our next game.