The King is Dead, Long Live the King

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Rei de Boston, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    So who do you want to see as the next coach of the Rapids and why?

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm leaning towards Ercoli from Rochester if we're going with an A-league promotion coach.

3. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    MLS retread... because going elsewhere is a risk.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No MLS retread, because they're not at their old team for a reason.

5. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    Fernando Clavijo (former coach to Pedro for Haitain Nats) because he can bring us some young cheap talent. Former captain Paul Bravo is a close second.

6. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Bonji.

7. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine Fernando Clavijo is happier with a national side. On the other hand, Haiti is so screwed up he might like getting away.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I thought Clavijo quit the Haiti national team after it ended up a money-losing proposition for him (i.e., he put more of his own money into the team than he made).

Anyway, Peter Nowak had zero coaching experience and his team's in the MLS final. How much experience did Yallop have before turning the Quakes into a mini-dynasty?

Answer: Marcelo Balboa.

9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Balboa isn't interested in coaching an MLS side... at least not yet. He's much more interested in management at this point.

10. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spenny, stop his plane on the runway.

11. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Osario would be my first choice. If I were to go with an ex-player it'd either be Vermes or Bravo.

12. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Why would anybody vote for Marcelo Balboa? Other than his history with the team, he has no coaching experience on the nat or professional level. I go with the Osario, ex-coach of Real Madrid, if we could ever get him. Spenny seems like an interesting idea too, but he has no high-level coaching experience either.

13. Madrileno

Madrileno New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Denver
    Definitely forget about Bravo. Spenny might be a good thought however, I don't believe he would stay. He has gave alot to the Rapids, although this year he performance was lacking.

14. black&blue boy

black&blue boy New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Denver
    My wife hates Balboa, so she may not allow us to have season tickets if he is the coach. If Bravo is the coach I'm afraid she will be in jail for an assasination attempt on his life. So anybody but those two, please!!! :p

In all seriousness, at the moment, I want a coach with the determination to win. I'll settle for a retread, a recently retired player or an assistant coach from another team. Please, please, KSE find someone that wants to win. Someone who won't play for ties at home and hope not to be beat to badly on the road.

15. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Juan Carlos Osario
    Mo Johnston
    Fernando Clavijo
    Ray Hudson
    Jacques Santini
    Bianchi

16. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    How can you possibly want to see Pat Ercoli as coach? He's done nothing for the best-funded team in the league (by far) in the last 3 years, he's not generally well thought of by Rhinos fans, and he's recently been fired, and is currently suing his former employers. It's not hard to be a decent coach when your team routinely buys you the best players.

If you're looking for an A-league promotion, I'd look at David Vaudreuil - former MLS player, Princeton graduate who played several years under Bob Bradley (Princeton and Chicago) and Bruce Arena, who in his first year as a coach, took the underfunded, perpetually mediocre Atlanta Silverbacks (4-17-7 in 2003) and made them into a playoff contender in 2004 (14-11-3). They finished 3 points behind Ercoli's Rhinos.

Also a former Rapid.

17. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Loved Vaud as a player ... I'd be willing to see him come to our side again.

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another good suggestion. I think the bigger issue we're coming up against is what fan ever likes their coach in MLS? Ok, DC United loved the Bruce. More often than not MLS coaches are hated and despised for doing a job most of us couldn't do.

19. diddlypooh

diddlypooh New Member

May 14, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    How 'bout Mike Haas? Just named CSYSA Technical Director. He could create a Colorado identity on many levels.

20. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Historically, foreign coaches have struggled in MLS. That MLS works in such a different fashion is a difficult adjustment on its own -- throw in the Wonder-bread cultural base of Denver and I think it makes for a much more difficult adjustment.

21. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    I would have thought that his two years with DC United would have told you all you need to know about Ray Hudson... Of this list, Osario and Mo Johnston are the only ones who you'd want for the job, or would have the job.

22. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Anybody know where Dooley is? I always felt he could've been an good coach for some unexplicable reason.

Maybe we could lure Harkes out of the MLS Wrap both?

What about Christopher Sullivan ... guys knows his Futbol.

23. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thank you.

24. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think you guys should look at Tom Soehn, an assistnat coach in DC and before that he was a coach for 3 years in Chicago. He's an American, played in MLS, and is familiar with coaching MLS players. I don't know if he is interested in being a head coach yet, just throwing out another name.

25. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    He was also a defender with the foxes back in the day (I think I'm thinking of the right guy). Something tells me he followed the rest of the foxes fellas to the burn of early days.

Not sure about him as a coach, but he definitely wasn't a player that was known for his physical prowess. As a defender and not an athlete, usually means he knows the game pretty darn good.