The kid's alright - the Scott McTominay thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2018.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's proven that he deserves minutes, but as a depth player. If we're satisfied with McT as a starting option then we better be satisfied with fighting for 4th every season.

2. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    McT is completing over 80% of his passes - a higher percentage than Pogba - albeit by a mere 1%.

He also has a higher percent of forward passes, fewer dispossessions, as many big chances created, as many penalties won, more tackles, more interceptions, more clearances, and more blocks than PP.

He's clearly been our best CM since March.

Anything else is ignorance of what's happened in favor of prior reputation.

I see more people just digging their heads in the sand about the future direction the club is going. McT is, at this point, one of the first names on the team sheet and will be a starter for years to come. He's shown tons more than Fletcher ever did at this stage in their development.

3. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Best CM is tad "exaggeration".. :/ and Fletcher initially played everywhere for us even at RW. If McT can replicate fletcher i would be happy.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Capt talk is crazy but he’s worthy of a squad role and may be useful even beyond that. He’s not the answer to our midfield questions long term, but he has some qualities that are of need. He carries the ball well, he tackles well and is dominant in the air. Although his percentage isn’t great, he’s a good passer. He’s actually one of our better long passers. It isn’t strange that a young CM isnt completing a high % of passes. He can improve, but he isn’t shy and he isn’t afraid to try things. Definitely a base to build on. In an ideal world, he’d be 4th or 5th choice and maybe in search of a loan for PT. Given the state of our midfield, he’s getting PT and not crumbling. I’d keep him around. He’s cheap and might turn out to be very useful in rotation once we have a proper first xi.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McTominay wins the United Player of the Month award for September.
    [​IMG]

7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Next to Matic he looks like Kante.

Next to Fred he looks like Pirlo.

:)

9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Still a good committed squad player and better than high ponytails squad players..

10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

jnielsen repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McTominay's influence growing at Manchester United.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...wing-as-manchester-united-enforcer-and-leader

The season is still pretty young, but he arguably has been United's player of the season so far. He just keeps getting better and better, not to mention that his love and commitment to the club is absolutely beyond doubt.
    Still believe wholeheartedly that he has the makings of a future captain, particularly in a team where there simply aren't that many viable candidates (he and Maguire are the best options for me once AY steps down). He's clearly developed a swagger this season, which is great to see also.
    The kid's growing into a man.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kind of personality and leadership our midfield (and team in general) badly needs?
    1189852009874305024 is not a valid tweet id

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ive changed my tune on McT. I still think he has a ways to go but hes helped a lot in that now we dont need to prioritize another 8 as much as before. Now, if Pogba stays, Id be happy on focusing on a proper 6, letting Pogba and McT be the 8s. I still see McT has being a Kante-esque harasser at his best so playing as the 8 is probably going to get the most out of him. Id still prefer a proper 6 as the backline shield or even better a proper DLP.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I have always maintaned we need hungry, committed academy players who can fill the gaps when required and we have lacked those in last 6 yrs..

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fletcher on McTominay

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ure-manchester-united-captain-rapidly-making/

Definitely share the opinion that if we can get Pogba to stay somehow, the focus in terms of our search for another CM should be solely focused on a quality 6. Being in a midfield with 2 top CMs at his side, could see McTominay improve even further.
    Not sure what his ceiling is at the moment, but I'm confident that he hasn't come close in reaching it yet either. Still just 22 (a tender age for a central midfielder) and the way he's progressed in the span of 20mos, when he started playing regularly with the first team, has been impressive.
    He has played a lot so far this season and the thought of him going down is simply too frightening to contemplate, as we'd be all but screwed right now without him.

16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Pogbs wont stay so stop dreaming and on McT he has progressed as harasser and bit of goal chipper from midfield (small sample) but i hope there is more to his game and if he can emulate Fletcher we would be a good player but i would hate it knowing Jose will make sure hw gets all credit

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anonymous_United repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, he did it again... ;)
    [​IMG]

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He is 22 like Rashford !!!

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    why even bring that up...

21. RedDevil98

RedDevil98 New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Nov 4, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Scotty is far more committed than fickle minded Pogba

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You're right.

Unfortunately, Mc Tominay doesnt bring enough to the table in the ball.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not the same type of players/CMs for starters. And yes, there is no doubt that McTominay's commitment level to the club is superior to Pogba. But Pogs is not 'fickle minded' because he sees the writing on the wall, ie that this is a team that is going nowhere anytime soon and almost is, for all intents and purposes a waste of time as far as he's concerned.
    Pogba more than likely came back on a promise from the club that we were going to rebuild to get it back to where it was. 3yrs later, this is a team that has gotten progressively worse with each passing year he's been there, to what it is now: a midtable club. Definitely not one that can contend for a top 4 spot.
    He really can't be blamed if he wants to leave. The club has failed him and that is the truth of the matter. McTominay has made big time progress to the point he's becoming a very important part of the team. He has some great attributes of his own and has potential, but he's simply not Pogba.

24. RedDevil98

RedDevil98 New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Nov 4, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe he wants to leave us and sign for Madrid? Same old “Key Utd players leaving to Madrid” nonsense. I’m fed up with that dirty club stealing our players

25. RedDevil98

RedDevil98 New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Nov 4, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Darn, he’s already 22. I expected too much from the lad tbh