The kid's alright - the Scott McTominay thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Uh-huh ;)

2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    :)

1156129992499220480 is not a valid tweet id

3. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Clear evidence that we are screwed.

4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Now our best player is cursed...

jnielsen repped this.
  5. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Comments are pretty funny.

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Either our marketing team or his agent is a ********ing miracle worker.

7. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fingers crossed Ole is a fan and it convinces him to play McT ahead of Matic this season.

8. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He is going to be a stand out mark my words. He does not lose 1v1 battles with the ball on the ground that often.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Looking more and more like one hell of an all around CM.

10. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. He's looked very solid so far. Pre-season play, admittedly, but that's all we can go on right now and he's ticking all the right boxes.

11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    If he turned out alright, jose will be drumming to make sure he gets all the credit.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McTominay's United ambition.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/fo...g-the-standards-at-manchester-united-1.893148

Loving what he's doing more and more and it seems like he's on his way to truly establish himself as a first team regular ahead of Matic.
    The guy is humble, hard working: the claims of him being future captain material doesn't look to be a joke anymore.

One of the top performers of the team this preseason.

incighte repped this.
  13. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    When I was reading through the preseason thread someone criticized McT for not taking the ball on the half turn very well in that match and it struck me as the oddest criticism on the planet given the performance he put in.

That has always be one of his strengths - the way he positions his body before receiving it. I'm glad that little clip the club puts together highlights that. Three or four times he received a pass on a half-turn and got a shot away. He's always thinking and he's also really starting to show how good his technique is with his passing range. He has hit a few cross field balls on a rope this preseason.

jnielsen repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's been good this preseason and has virtually no competition for game time with the corpse of Matic out there. For me, the two areas where he really needs to make strides forward are his passing and more importantly, his reading of the game defensively. But he's starting to impress me more, enough that I'll say my opinion on his ceiling has changed.

United 16 repped this.
  15. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    If he cements himself, then we should rename this thread in the ilk we used to have the Ferdinand thread. The kid goes absolutely mental when we score.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The McTominay gamble could pay off for United.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-united-mctominay-chelsea-news-16740315

Really liked how he (and the rest of the midfield) stepped it up after halftime. Best option we currently have for the holding role by some measure. And while he may be a risk in some ways, I feel it's a calculated one all the same: he finished last season so strong and looks to have picked things right off since preseason.
    Also really appreciate that in a team lacking leadership, he's one of the players who appears to be stepping up in that aspect as well. I'm fully confident in him.

17. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016

Gonna be a baller.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    When I was a rugby coach, starting out I use to coach the seconds or the B side. And we had guys like him, who I considered B+ players. They were clearly better than the second team but not quite A side. Like a guy who has an ability to be the man on a lesser squad and yet adapts to being a role player with the first team.

Not every player has tha ability or is that humble. But McT has it. I think he will be a key member of the squad for years to come.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His attitude and character are also things to really like about him also. The claims about him being a future captain make complete sense now, just as it's not hard to see him become a team leader in time also.
    The way he has progressed, especially since he signed his new contract earlier this year, has been great to see. Just want to see where he'll be by season's end if he keeps this up, as it could have an impact on our transfer business.

21. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Which Mctominay are we watching guys?

The guy who has had less than 80% pass completion?

Id say he's done enough not to be sold, when reinforcements come in.

Did I read talk of captain? How Sway?

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #172 Ashur, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    As mentioned over the weekend in the game thread, there are still some questions in terms of being a starter in the long term. But it can not be denied that he's been one of our most consistent performers in the past 6-7mos. As such, he's firmly established his place in the squad, at the very least.
    At the same time though, he has been a player whose progress has been sustained over this period of time: if he were to stay on this curve, then he should end up having a pretty good season for us and perhaps establish himself as more than a valuable utility guy in midfield. Very much TBD at this point.
    In regards to his character, I think it's pretty evident by his play on the pitch and actions off it, that he's a very good professional, is aware of the privilege of being a first team player for United. And despite still being young, he does have obvious leadership qualities. And in a team that has so few players of that type, who knows where that can lead him to (particularly if he does manage to eventually cement his place as a first team regular).

23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    We need the likes of osheas and nicky butts or Fletcher Brown (bit higher level).. who atleast will give it all despite limitations..

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Nah, we need talented & creative players. Oh, and new owners. Get me some of that.

25. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Yes we need talented starting 11 mids/fwd/lb aswell but for depth we should stick with academy players who will guve a shit when wears United badge

Deadtigers repped this.