The kid's alright - the Scott McTominay thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The full article in The Athletic is really very interesting if you have accessed to it. If only other midfielders on the squad had PR teams working so vigorously for them... :cool:

Deadtigers and CybrSlydr repped this.
  2. JayBoy

JayBoy Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Lewisham, S. London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Video analysing McT's improvement under Ten Hag

SF19 repped this.
  3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    At this point in the season I'm fine with benching Mount for Scott. Run out to 8:00, move Scott to 10 and start Pellistri on the right with Anthony

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They're going to offer him a new contract now, aren't they?

benni... repped this.
  6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    He has been more worth his money this season than his replacement who we spent a lot of money on.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    13 goals now in all comps between Utd and Scotland. For all his faults, and the shit he gets, let's take a moment to give him some props for this. A brilliant return really.

A goal every 165 minutes this campaign.

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I want to try, but even strikers dont get a pass for scoring and being shit everywhere else in their game. How is a midfielder supposed to get credit for scoring but being useless elswhere?

The only way he can be useful is if we have a Godly 6 and 8 that do the bulk of distribution, while Scott just, as @MizzouMUFC put it... does the fellaini role.

So basically he and Bruno together is disgusting.

MizzouMUFC and JC7rox repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since he’s clearly not losing his spot anytime soon because he’s one of the few in the squad that can finish, we badly need to find a way that he doesn’t kill our midfield. ETH should try dropping Bruno deeper into midfield to give the backline another outlet and give Amarabt/Mainoo some help.

10. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think this is the only viable option to get McT into advanced positions but not continue to leave large gaps and holes in the MF especially with how deep Maguire plays

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    When Eriksen gets back, I can see some line ups like

Eriksen and Mainoo with Scott and then Bruno on the right wing [although I hate him on the wing].

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It will be interesting to see what is really in EtH mind once all the central midfield options are fit - as the injuries to LB (meaning Amrabat started playing there), then to Cas, Mount, Eriksen etc. have meant the options have never been fully available.

Also he started this season with the same 4-2-3-1 double pivot on defence setup that has definitely morphed more recently into a more dutch like 4-3-3 with a single-pivot and two #8s. Given he is sticking with his "pressing from the front" this was inevitable at some point but needs a mobile #6 which isn't Cas anymore but Amrabat and Mainoo seem capable.

Still have my concerns about us playing single-pivot in big away games though. Would rather EtH went double-pivot for those.

Given Bruno seems a nailed on starter so far under EtH (debatable if he should always be given form and options) then a lot of players capable of that remaining #8 in the 4-3-3.

McT scores goals, but have a feeling that when Cas back available (unless he goes to Saudi) he may be a better option as #8 alongside Bruno as he scores goals too, but unlike McT can at least do the other stuff (eg pick a pass and not hide). Mount also more suited and can also score goals, was a poor start to the season from him but we were playing double-pivot back then which doesn't really suit him.

Despite his limitations I do like McT as an option off the bench, but think he will not get starts once Cas and Mount back available..

13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its not debatable to me. You take away our offense, you take away Bruno.

Until all other facets of our team are good [defending, possesion, etc] we have no other source of creativity.

I realize he's 30 or so and will need replacing very soon [plays all game, every game] so im not opposed to planning for the future. As long as Mount is not his replacement.

JC7rox repped this.
  14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't get me wrong - I am team Bruno too.

However I do think he gets overplayed to his and the teams detriment (59 games last season).

He does have off days and should be subbed at times (has played every minute of every EPL game this season).

In my mind the poor form patches are down to us just asking too much of him.

JC7rox and benni... repped this.
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Has ETH ever played Bruno on the right?

16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Against Man City .... but that game best forgotten ;)

One of the moves last season was to sub Antony last 10 or so and move Bruno there - worked a few times as Bruno can swing in a nice cross from that position.

Not at his best starting there though - as dribbling and take-ons is not a Bruno thing.

17. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I couldn't remember him ever playing there for ETH. But if the history is there, i guess it's possible ETH plays him on the right. I highly doubt it though.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we lineup our midfield the same way against Pool at Anfield, we’ll be looking at another 7-1 type of game.

19. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Deadtigers, Stud83, SF19 and 3 others repped this.