The KFA Reformation

Discussion in 'Korea' started by killaorca, Aug 15, 2016.

1. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How much did Korean media pay for BPL, Bundesliga, La Liga.. and even Barca B rights for this season?

2. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    My question was what K-League has to offer currently.

That's a first step. If he rots in the reserves, of course, that's not going to attract any Vietnamese viewers. That's obvious.

My point is that the chances of K-League has no chance of establishing itself in SEA without creating a specific niche that would satisfy the fans in SEA, because otherwise European clubs are much more attractive choices for SEA fans. So for example, signing SEA players that can play day in day out, like I mentioned before, so that there are incentives to watch K-League.

$40M between 2013-16 for BPL. A lot less than other nations due to the fact that even the top BPL matches in Korea struggle to get a viewer share of 2%.

Thailand paid $320M between 2013-16 for BPL.

takeuchi repped this.
  3. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    see 골든에이지 program run by kfa. modelled after germany where its fa trains the countrys best youth prospects. kids from the same region train together few times a month, the best of them get invited to state wide training (roughly once a month) and the best of them get invited to paju (1-3 times a year). basically a pyramid. began 2014, still in learning/adapting period. i believe the goal is to reach the point where the trainers can work with these kids on a daily basis, just like germany

http://sportalkorea.mt.co.kr/news/v...05580616&key=&page=1&field=&section_code=1010
    http://news1.kr/articles/?1834203
    http://m.mk.co.kr/sports/breaking/2014/462474

4. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Using figures from 2013, the K-League organisers sold the TV rights for $5.8M, out of that $5M was used for the running of the league, and $0.8M was shared out among 22 teams.

http://www.footballist.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=9401

Back in 2004, $1.7M was shared out among 13 teams.

http://news.khan.co.kr/kh_news/khan_art_view.html?artid=200507271802041&code=980201

takeuchi repped this.
  5. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    cant really talk about marketing in thailand when the only effective marketing will be signing up their most popular players and kleague clubs who are of the players' playing standards cant afford them

zdrstvte repped this.
  6. bvbnz

bvbnz New Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I disagree with everything you said, unfortunately.
    Yes, I'm aware that Naver broadcast both KBO and KL, but obviously the interest for KBO is greater BECAUSE there's more hype and interest in KBO to start with - KBO games get shown on TV 24/7, you think their broadcast power is on par with KL coverage? NO

also, KBO was able to capitalise on the successes of WBC and Bejing Olympic Games. KL? No, they haven't done squat after WC 2002 and London Olympic Games.

Did you know that the KBO camera work is so advanced that even Taiwanese TV stations and Japanese TV stations are interested in using their broadcast techniques?

Now, you try watching a KL game - they have one static camera stationed in the main stand, that hardly offers any kind of excitement. It really makes them look worse than they really are.

As I stated above, those media-power definitely have an influence on how the general public view the game. KBO = exciting, offers stories etc, KL = boring, dull, no skills

Do you know how many KBO HL shows and baseball programs are there?
    do you know how many KL HL shows and football programs are there?

Offer some quality broadcasts, offer some stories that people can connect with, offer some... Contents!

I'm originally from Seoul - back in 1990, some guys came to my school and a baseball player offered me his signed baseball and showed me stuff. I signed up to join their kids club right there and then.
    The team? LG twins. Ever since then, I've been a LG twins fan. The player that gave me his signed ball? His name is 김재박. I didn't know who the hell he was at the time, I learned that he's one of the greatest SS to ever grace the KBO.

See what I mean? KL clubs need to connect with the locals, provide contents. Make fans that will last for generations!

It's a simple, but a difficult task for KL

chook90 and Chingoo repped this.
  7. MrRyanWalters

MrRyanWalters New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Gwangyang, South Korea
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    YES 1,000 times over to the premium seats idea! However, I will always stand behind supporters groups because they're what makes football football in my opinion. That said, K-League stadiums are so gigantic and NEVER full, that it would be extremely easy for every stadium to rip out half the seats in a section and create these premium seats. One of the corners would be a great spot. Offer up a free beer and bucket of chicken for 15,000-20,000 or something like that. I can't remember who off the top of my head, but a few K-League teams are already doing this (I believe in Challenge?). It would help offer a unique experience and may get more families out to the games.

There were some great articles about K-League getting more SE Asia fans when Trường signed with Incheon, and it's definitely a path forward for the league. Couldn't agree with you more that it needs to be players that are immediately in the Starting XI and make an impact. Or at least can be seen in every game. With the Asian passport roster rule, it baffles me that this hasn't become a more popular route to get foreign fans interested.

As for my 5,000 won seat idea, I think most of you are right. The price point is already quite low and they don't attract a ton of fans. Still... think it might be worth trying for a game or two. Or the 1+1 since so many fans are already getting in free.

To get back to the main point though, I think we're all in agreement that fan engagement needs to be a top priority for the KFA/K-League to get more asses in seats and create a more exciting product.

8. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    #133 Deleted Users, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    This is not the chicken or the egg question. KBO's attendance was in the 100's in the 90's and early 2000's. I'm talking like an average game had 200-300 people watching it. Do you think they had KBO games shown then?

It cracks me up when Korean footie fans think that there's some major conspiracy theory behind why more KBO games are aired than K-League. It's because it sells. Period.

You just refuted your own point. KBO is still popular after WBC and Beijing. K-League's popularity didn't even last a season after 2002.

So people go to KBO games because of some camera work that they can't enjoy? We talking cameras now?

It's not about the equipment, it's about the playa.

LOLOLOL. You are a typical gook on I Love Soccer. Really - camera work is a trigger to go to games in person? Why would anyone want to go to a game because of the camera work? Because it looks so similar in person? Like, what is the relationship?

KBO has more shows than the K-League because KBO has nearly 12 times more in revenue than the K-League. It's not even close, my friend. I'm talking 12 times. Considering that there aren't 12 x the more KBO shows, I'd say that the broadcasting stations are pretty damn fair.

Who's going to buy it? You?

Me too.

Cute story.

Again, you can market a shite product all you want. It's not going to sell. If you want to buy a Panasonic CD player in 2016, you go right ahead. I'm sticking with my a smartphone.

killaorca repped this.
  9. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Yea, I guess I'm a bit harsh...

Not. No Korean should ever name their cutesy group Frente Frapuccino and Tricrayon. It's retarted and I have no remorse for idiocy. I'd kill all of them if I could ! :)

Yea, I mean KBO, KBL and Volleyball teams are already doing it. It's a tried and proven method. No need to re-create the wheel.

Goes back to my theory that nobody cares or bothers to make any money from this league. It's simply a tax-haven for corporate writeoffs.

The theory continues when we have city hall teams that are tax-payer funded competing in this league. I suspect some personal losses from city officials being lumped together as part of their annual budget to run such a team.

Depends on the type of customer. Again, the league isn't sophisticated enough to identify a target customer base, let alone manage them. But lets assume that our target customer base is someone in their late 20's - early 30's, is employed and makes above $2,500 a month and is single (to come to this conclusion would take thousands of hours of market research). I may be willing to provide them a discount to a target customer but these supporters groups? They're going to come anyway, waving their French flags. And France isn't even playing.

Agreed. There is no product in the K-League. Nobody knows what they are selling and who they are selling to. There's no strategy to it. It's a complete disaster.

killaorca repped this.
  10. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off because it's stupid. Like, you've got to have a double digit IQ to honestly believe low attendance is because of some camera or lack thereof. Like, if I played ball in Jordans, does that make me good like MJ? We talking camera man!! K-League sucks because of cameras LOLLOLOLOL.

Ok, that was pretty mean. I get your point. This is a classic Korean football fan argument where a lack of media exposure doesn't help the situation. My argument is that Korean football did have media exposure; it enjoyed some considerable exposure in 2002 and the years that followed and it simply didn't work. And nobody can refute this point. You can throw in some hail mary points like cameras but no other sport in the country had exposure like football.

I do admit there is a direct correlation between media exposure and popularity. Higher the media exposure, higher the interest or the theory goes. But this regression will only apply to at a data set when there is demand to begin with. To assume that media exposure will automatically lead to increase in sales is naive. As a matter of fact, additional exposure when there is negative perception only makes the situation worse.

killaorca and takeuchi repped this.
  11. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yo but the lack of cameras is real, soccer is a lot more fun when you have like a bunch of angles and slow-mos to look at

Marco91 repped this.
  12. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Slowmo on that empty stands.

13. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Iirc FC Seoul did do something like connecting with the children several years ago, offering kids and teens free or discounted passes (of course, the catch was that kids usually go with their parents, who had to pay full-price) in the hopes that it would lure them in at a young age. But no sign of improvement on that front.

Bottom line is K League needs more substantial reform than gimmicks.

14. bvbnz

bvbnz New Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Wow. I think I just lost all my "double digit IQ points" from reading your shit.

No offence, but my explanation is THE answer to the current state of korean football leagues.
    You think baseball was always popular to begin with? KBO had no crowd prior to WBC success. They rode that wave and used the momentum to create the current fanbase.

You really sound like you haven't followed much of Korean sports in the past. Let me tell you this, in the 90s esp after 98 WC, average attendance for a K-League game was around 15,000.
    Have you seen the English premier league in the 90s? I bet you haven't. It was utter shite - they also had a single camera in the main stands and it was awful; it was in the late 90s and early 2000s after Man U had won the treble, these new fans from other parts of the world started watching more EPL, they invested heavily on broadcasting techniques and the rest is history.

Korean football did have the "exposure", but they didn't utilise it properly. A good example is Asian cup and other continental tournaments, ppl in Korea simply did not know/care about these, because there was no coverage in the media.

If you want to talk to me on Twitter I'm @6thofjun

ConcernedK repped this.
  15. bvbnz

bvbnz New Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I thought you guys are better than that. Your ignorance and lack of understanding about sports marketing have left me speechless.

And to create a "thread" that's suppose to change the Korean football scene? Pfff you guys have no clue.

16. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    you have to have a different approach for certain niche groups, but i think the shit broadcasting does affect the overall perception of the k-league.

the shit camera work makes the games look third-rate and its a turnoff. the games dont look exciting at all.

a lot of ppl who know jack shit about baseball go to KBO for the atmosphere. who the hell would want to go to a kleague based on the broadcasting? looks dull as fck.

practically it seems as tho the KBO is marketing towards a larger audience while KL towards diehard domestic soccer fans.

jinseokyang repped this.
  17. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the KNT would be a footballing powerhouse if only the K-League could hire the best camera men.

Deleted Users repped this.
  18. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Honestly I just find cameras being the solution to be too easy of an answer. Also why should big tv networks like MBC/KBS/SBS show K-league when no one watch it? It's just bad business from their sides.

19. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No one's saying improving the camerawork is going to cause a fcking revival in korean soccer.

Are you guys that dense to think changing a single thing will enliven the k-league? Nothing's that black and white. It's most definitely a web of factors.

There's no set single solution to this mess, but the shit camerawork isn't helping. So, improving the camerawork to make the k-league appear more dynamic to those watching matches on TV might gather some more followers. It's not a direct solution to vitalize the league, but it can be a step in the right direction.

Of course, other factors such as quality of play, coaching, etc. most likely has an influence too... but why the hell would you completely disregard something like broadcasting conditions when most people come in touch w games on their fcking tv?

HiTaegukWarrior and jinseokyang repped this.
  20. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Lol, just no.

The Premier League employ one of the most sophisticated broadcasting technologies, but the demand for the Premier League is just not great in Korea, with broadcasters struggling with sh*t audience shares/ratings.

It's mostly about marketing, not the content.

21. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Is the Premier League rating low in Korea relative to that of other football leagues or just overall TV rating?

22. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Make Korean Drama based on Kleague

23. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    they did that once.

맨땅에 헤딩

[​IMG]

lol @ the realistic depiction of empty stands.

zdrstvte repped this.
  24. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Haha you'd think they'd at least have a few paid actors in the stands

chook90 repped this.
  25. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #150 10August2012, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Are we talking about raising shares/ratings or are we talking about improving the K-league in general? Because they might be correlated but they aren't the same. In today's world, ratings and shares do not reflect the popularity of contents at all, especially in Korea where media outlets are diverse and many times viewership incalculable.

Yes, it IS ALSO about marketing. I said it's not a single solution, but the disparity between EPL camerawork and KL camerawork is so vast, and the KL is also behind KBO. Will improving the camerawork reel in thousands of fans? Maybe not, but it can help to improve the perceptions of the league. Is it worth spending a shit ton of money to change the broadcasting framework? Possibly no, but you can't completely disregard the effects of visuals.

I'm not saying change the cameras, I'm saying the cameras may deter the interest of non or casual football fans. EPL ratings are lower than KBO and MLB, but they're still double KL. Is camerawork responsible for an avg .25% of viewership? Most likely not, but to a mind that is oblivious to the differences in playing quality of EPL and KL, the camerawork will still set them apart.

HiTaegukWarrior repped this.