The Jozy Shore - Keeping it Villarreal 9/10 in the 18 for Espanyol

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Jozy's doing well at Villareal, where they like him a lot. He presents a different style than their starters, but not an incompatible one with the team. He's a good option to have available, but today was an unnecessary one. And putting Jozy on a team that would pump long balls to him would likely mean a big step back in his development.

If I could translate this and put it on Google Russia, sfs would be quoting it verbatim.

2. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Джози преуспевает в Вильярреал, где они, как он много. Он представляет другой стиль, чем их начала, но не несовместимых один с командой. Он хороший вариант, чтобы они были доступны, но сегодня был ненужную. И положить Джози на команду, которая бы насос долго шары с ним, скорее всего, означает большой шаг назад в своем развитии.

Let's find out.

3. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any claims about Altidore not fitting their system are complete and utter nonsense. He just turned 21 and can still be molded to use his skill set within that system. They seem intent on doing it, so good. He's one of the top four strikers in a club that will be battling for a Champions League spot all season. There is no reason for Jozy to be looking for a loan at this point, or dumber still, a transfer, as some has advocated.

4. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy is doing exactly what I expected -- getting an occasional start, subbing in every once in a while, always in the 18, and playing like a 21 year old (imperfect) in one of the world's greatest leagues.

5. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare you have such low expectations. :cool:

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if things keep up villarreal should get a champions league spot.

Jozy is doing fine.

21 year olds normally don't start on good teams.

7. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an Athletic fan, yesterday's game was obviously a disappointment. When Susaeta went down, Athletic lost its balance and attacking edge. Yes, I may be biased. And Caparros continues to play over the head of one of the world's best young central midfielders, to the point of driving Llorente into the ground. By the end of the game Llorente was visibly exhausted.

As far as Jozy, Athletic was missing Amorebieta, our best center defender. In his place was Ustaritz, who is capable but struggles against smaller, quicker players. He is much better against forwards who like to play back to goal. So in this game, not playing Jozy made sense.

I do happen to know some people associated with Villareal, and they speak highly of Jozy. That does not mean he will not be loaned or sold if it makes financial sense. I am not an insider and would not be privy to that type of decision, but I do know if you ask people at Villareal, they love having him in the squad. His teammates love him, the coaching staff loves him, and they are convinced he has big things in front of him.

8. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big week coming up -- the return leg of the CdR and Villarreal's first big test, at Barcelona.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I and VR were expecting a lot more after a $10M investment.

They bought Joseba Llorente for about the same price in 2008 (€5.5M) and received 25 goals from him in two years.

They paid ~ $15M for Rossi and received ~ 50 goals in the last 3 1/2 years from him in exchange.

The BS polls had him scoring 6-8 goals for Hull last season.

Did I expect something closer to those numbers?

Yes, somewhere in the half of Rossi's stats would have been good.

Because I watch an occasional VR match and I see what he is doing there.

Furthermore, I see what the rest of the team is doing (and I happen to like that style in general quite a bit, btw).

Did I say they weren't?

However, would they develop faster with him playing or with him sitting on the bench?

And regardless of yesterday's match, he's at best tied for the third forward spot with Ruben and arguably, based on their PT, (5 appearances for Ruben, 1 for Altidore in La Primera) only the 4th forward in their mix.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/squad?id=102&cc=5901

Does Shaq dribble at his defenders and stand around the 3-point arc like Dork Nowitzki or Vlade Divac?

Or does he get in the paint and tries to use his 350-lb body on his defenders?

Did Jeff Garcia or Ty Detmer (not to mention Joe Montana) play better in the West Coast short passing offense that used their strengths (accuracy, mobility, ability to analyze defenses) compared to, let's say, Jim Everett or Ben Roethlisberger, whose strengths were/are in chucking the ball downfield?

What exactly is so radical in my suggestion that one's talents must be optimized and not frittered away at the margins?

Shouldn't this be, you know, obvious to anyone?

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Him being in their plans is not obvious or they wouldn't have tried loaning him out on three separate occasions (Xerez, Hull and Trabzonspor).

Do they try to train him and thereby improve his play?

Absolutely or they risk losing their entire investment if he turns into another Adu.

Do they trust him enough to feature him prominently in their line-ups?

Not yet.

He's got way more problems than that (if, by problem, you mean, having skills and performances of someone like Andy Carroll) - he doesn't hold the ball well, he doesn't move in traffic well, he doesn't pass the ball well, he doesn't create his own shot well, et cetera, et cetera.

поцелуй меня в жопу, придурок.

11. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SFS you've made decent points for your arguement but I just don't agree. I think Jozy is on the right track. I guess we'll see what Jozy & Villarreal do in January.

12. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes sidfootsitter, you just go off into this little world where no one can go but you. I'll reply to your last two posts, even though it made me dizzy just reading them.

$10 million for an 18 year old is not a 2 year investment. They bought him expecting him to develop within their system or (less likely) develop into a big time player that they could sell for a profit in a short amount of time.
    The BS polls were also exaggerated, very much so. A 19 year old striker in the Premiership is not a common situation for anybody. Our expectations should have been much lower than what they were (and yes, Jozy still would not have met them).
    Loans are not this sure fire thing that some people here seem to think they are. Remember Xerez? Would Jozy's skills develop faster getting spot playing time with a Champions League caliber club or getting spot playing time with a much, much, much lesser team?

They are playing in 3 different competitions. What exactly is so wrong with even being 4th on that team?
    Jozy is too young and too versatile to be strictly categorized already. His athletic abilities make him able to play varying roles on the field. He may never be just a speed guy or just a target striker. That may even be a good thing.
    He is very obviously in their plans because of the loans. That's what teams do. First they wanted him to stay in Spain, so they sent him to Xerez. That backfired, so they let him go to England to get playing time they knew he wouldn't get with Villareal.

If I remember correctly, there were multiple teams interested in Jozy this summer. Some of them wanted loans and maybe one or two were interested in buying him, right? But Villareal was not going to let him go at just any price. If they were so desperate to get rid of him, they would have let him go for something lower.

He changed everything when he showed up to the team and played above what they thought he was capable of. Then all of a sudden the transfer talk stopped. He earned his place on the team and that is why he is in their future plans because they see what most of us do: continued improvement and a high ceiling.
    This is such a nutty concept. This is not some middle table team. Villareal is fighting to win their Europa group and for a Champions League berth next season (which is very important for them financially). You don't just play players at that level just to keep them fresh.

"Trust" has nothing to do with it. Rossi and Nilmar are one of the top attacking partnerships in Europe, maybe the world. They play a style that so few teams do and they are very, very effective right now. Jozy is not sitting behind slouches. This is top quality we're talking about.
    Lol, what? Those are all of the areas where he has improved the most. He gets a clear shot on goal every game. He's just not scoring goals. He doesn't hold the ball well? That's the major thing that came out of his loan to Hull.

Every single thing (except so few goals) about Jozy's season with Villareal this year so far has been positive and promising. The only thing contradicting that are overzealous, impatient, and disillusioned postsers on message boards.

13. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Anyone know if Jozy is in the 18 for Espanyol?

edit: lol, just realized we were nearing 1000 posts and need a new thread anyways.

14. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Llorente is apples to oranges -- he is 30 now.

Start working on Jozy puns!

15. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Llorente played 9 games and scored 1 goal for Real Sociedad in 1999-2000 when he was Jozy's age...Jozy's future looks good then I guess!

Llorente really started scoring around 2003 (~1 every 3 games) and lit it up 2005-2008 at Valladolid (~1 every 2 games)...

All that said, Jozy is fine where he is at...plus wasn't the arguement that his first touch needed improvement? A top 3 team in La Liga is a pretty fine place to refine that skill...

16. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a reason no one ever agrees with you.

17. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Llorente was a full decade older than Jozy when each was signed. That comparison is beyond laughable.

18. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
  19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's up to some lucky poster out there to start the next Jozy thread. This one is closed due to length.