The José María Gutiérrez Hernández Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by gazzad_5, Nov 10, 2004.

1. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    this is a guy who people seem to love to hate
    he is a superb talent with a poor attitude, but of late he seems a lot more focused and is doing well i feel
    under del bosque he played as a striker and scored a fair few goals if i remember correctly
    lately, at least while becks has been injured he's been playing a more centre/defensive mid role
    personally, i think he has done superb, and posted in a another thread i said beckham sholdnt be able to just automatically win back his place
    ever since becks got injured and guti came into the side we have had a reverse in fortunes, maybe this is no coincidence??
    i dont think he should be thrown out of the starting 11 just because golden balls comes back, just so perez can sell a few more shirts!

2. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    Re: Guti

Agree 100%. I've been at the forefront of the Guti-bashers but he has really impressed me with his distribution and ability to keep possession in the last few matches. Finally displaying his potential on the field instead of acting like a petulant, spoilt brat... and if he keeps playing this wayI 'm happy admit I was wrong over the years when claiming he was one of the most overrated players that I have seen play for madrid.

3. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guti & Owen have both been playing well. Both are fighting for a spot in the starting 11. Maybe Ronaldo should be the one on the bench to start the game this weekend?

4. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India

I think I said the same on the malaga thread. I really believe a day on the bench would be good for Ronaldo. Hopefully light a cracker up his arse and get him fired upto prove a point against Barca.
    But ideally I'd like him to be replaced by Moro.
    What I don't want is a cop-out where it's used by the coach to pay Beckham alongside Guti and Raul behind Owen, and gently ease out Guti in the next match once Ronaldo comes back.

5. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have my doubts that GR feels strong enough to bench a Galactico at the beginning of a game. I think its much more likely that we will see the same formation that was used against Malaga, with Beckham taking the place of Celades & Owen on the bench.

6. Highway Penguin

Highway Penguin New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    The States

Guti is one of my favorite players. Works really hard when he plays, and now that Becks is here (Been here) he has to work really hard to play. I'm glad Beckham got injured or he wouldn't have been able to play as much. Maybe he'll be starting now. HOpefully.

7. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just saw that Guti got picked by the NT to play in the next game. So did Helguera. We have the potential to see 5 RMers (Raul, Salgado, Casillas, Guti & Helguera) play against 2 (Beckham & Owen). Lets hope they don't kill each other.

8. Gonzalo

Gonzalo New Member

May 15, 2000
    London (UK)

Beckham is still doubtful for that game. I think you're unlikely to see a very high-intensity game from the Real players, given that the Barcelona-Real game will take place just three days later.

rmnews.blogspot.com

9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I doubt Beckham will play in that, I certainly can't see either him, Owen and the other RM players doing much more than jog around for the first 45 to 60 minutes before being subbed off, or coming on late as subs.

All of the RM players will be thinking of the Barca game and not wanting to strain themselves, which I don't blame them for. A classico with such strong implications for the title race is far more important than some friendly 18 months before the next world cup.

10. ilferrari

ilferrari New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Beckham makes the club money. He won't be benched. End of discussion.

11. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin

putting owen on the bench may be the stupidest thing garcia remon could do right now..

i still think beckham should b a right wing......

12. Bernabeu

Bernabeu Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Madrid, España
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Guti is the most talented national player Real Madrid has had in the last 7 years, even superior to Raúl, who is the greatest of all, but primarily because of his effort and winner mentality. He has been covering different positions and he always showed excellent, outstanding natural skills.

But he has a serious psychological problem which makes him vanish, disappear or behave absolutely childish. He is immature. That is why Bernabéu doesn't like him, that is why his is whistled. It's his attitude, not his quality. It can be really annoying.

I also like a lot what he is doing in this new position, his latest challenge and his latest success. I think that maybe the reason for such a change is that this position requires full concentration, the ball is always near him and has much more contact with it. He feels important probably and doesn't have the time to disconnect. It's also an easier position in terms of passing and creation where he can feel more confident, which is what he really needs, confidence and relevance.

I hope that he could some day play forward again when Zidane will be out, as I still want to enjoy him as a number 10, for which I think he is talented enough if he only could feel the boss. I really liked it last summer in Japan when he played there again, his real and original position.

13. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004

has anybody else seen the praises guti has got this week in marca, i am delited to see it. i also read somewhere the fans are growing to like him.
    this guy is really growing into the role of dm/cm now and i for one am really impressed. i think he will permantly do a good job for us in the future, more games in this position can only be positive as he will gain experience about the role

overall verdict ;) : very impressed!

14. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Guti: “The greatest honour would be to retire playing in Real Madrid”

Nine years. And hopefully there will be many more. Guti makes a wish, shared by millions of Madrid fans: “The biggest honour would be to retire playing in Real Madrid”. It´s still far off. Right now, he has given in front of Realmadrid Television camaras a wide summary of his first nine years in the elite with Madrid. The young player talks about his debut, about the good and the bad parts, though on balance he finds it very satisfactory. “These have been happy years, I have enjoyed them a lot”.

http://www.realmadrid.com/web_realm...icia.jsp?idnoticia=43659&sec=1&subsec=0&esp=1

Guti deserves all of the praise he's been receiving this week. He had a great game on Sunday, hopefully it's a sign of more to come.

15. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another Garcia Remon success story. I remember when Guti threw the ball at the official in the 2nd or third game of the season & I thought Guti will never change. Well my hat is off to him for a complete turn around.

16. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004

remon has really turned guti around, credit to him

17. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston

I think GRemon has done a great job with everyone, considering that the only players not playing as well as they should be are Samuel and to a lesser extent Raul. Beckham on the right is looking better, Guti (who's always had the talent but never played consistently enough to show it) is in the form of his life, and even Pavon is playing better than he was (which isn't difficult; a beached dolphin could defend better than Pavon had been). Hopefully Zidane is right, that this team finally gets going, beats Roma, continues winning in La Liga, and gets the silverware we know it has the ability to get.

18. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004

right there with ya!
    i would still like to see an extra 10 and even 20% effort put in by some players, it is a great luxery when you can play well below max effort, and personally i believe there are still one or 2 not working quite hard enough for my liking!
    guti's effort levels are superb, as are helguera's, salgado's and in the most part raul's. i still feel much of the others could up their game a bit more!
    i agree with what roy keane said about utd, and now arsenal, something along the lines of ''thers winning it once, but your never as hungry the second time'' i think this is a case with some of our galacticos.
    dont get me wrong, i dont believe they are slacking off, but not commited 110% like in past years!
    G.Armstrong said in the commentry against levante at the weekend ''if everybody had the work rate of salgado this team would be unstopable''
    and now it seems guti has become one of the 'salgados' - hey, maybe the new policy should be ''the ronaldos and salgados'

19. illuminatus

illuminatus New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Malaysia

Wouldn't mind seeing roberto carlos up his game a notch. He does not seem himself at all this season.

20. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Guti has been one of the most criticized players of RM (inside and outside the field), sometimes fairly and sometime unfairly. I always have tried to defend him because he has a great quality, but sometimes it has been very dificult because he is his worse enemy.

Now, he is in a key moment in his life as RM player,and as soccer player. For first time he has a very serious chance to have a fixed place in the starting 11 of RM. It only will depend of him to maintain his place in the team.

If his virtues ......

- A great vision of play. He and Zidane are the best players that we have in that aspect with a huge difference over the rest. He is a godsend to players like Ronaldo and Owen that lives findind spaces, and that need that their teammates see very fast that movements. Guti is the best allied for them.

- Skill and natural talent. He has a great skill and he watch very easy the soccer. He has born with that natural talent that is very difficult to have. He is very fast thinking and moving the ball with sense.

.....Win to his "demons" .....

- Tendency to leave the games. If a rival player wants to "cancel" Guti play, he only have to insult him or make him a hard foul. And Guti will be the whole game protesting like a 3 years old guy instead of playing.

- Lack of concentration. He has tendendy to not be concentrated the 90 minutes. Or if he start playing bad a game, he simply dissapears the rest of the game.

..... then Guti will conserve his place him the team. On the contrary, we will be all the season making combinations to see what players play in the middle.

This year it seems that we are seeing a more mature Guti, and his virtues are winning to his demons. It would be a big step for him and it would be very good for RM and Spain NT. The time will tell us if we are seeing the definitive confirmation of Guti.

21. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004

i am really pleased now to see, despite becks' return, guti is still in the starting 11, credit to him and his performances and attitude this season!!

22. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004

now we have reached the mid-season break i thought it fit to analyse Guti's performances in his new role!

Overall i think he has grown into the role superbly, has looked very accomplished and has been one of our most consistant players this season, he hasnt really let us down atall!
    He has looked 10x better than Patrick Vieira has this season. thank god we didnt get ripped off for him when we have potentially better player in guti, and this season he has looked far better!

What do you guys think? is he still our strongest candidate for DM?

23. elmadridesta

elmadridesta New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    qatar

yes better than helguera

24. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat

well this season guti can be better than helguera in the holding midfield role, but it`s only because you guys are playing helguera out of position in central defence.. he is a natural defensive mid than guti. actually over years guti has been known for his attacking insticts than defence.. from 2001-02-03 he was playing as a midfield-cum striker.

helguera was shifted to defence when karanka was struggling in 2002 season to partner hierro, but he was always outstanding in defensive mid both for spain and for you guys. i just don`t know why you can`t use him in his natural role. you really never had problems when helguera was in defensive mid with makelele.
    i do agree with you however that guti has played well for you guys in the holding position, did his best.. still you need a natural mid tackling ball winner,a workhorse to do the dirty work

25. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A healthy Woodgate.