The Jonathan Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 14, 2017.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that is a great way to engender distrust and get dual nationals to decline callups tbh. treat everyone fairly and dont be horrible at talent evaluation seems a more prudent path

DHC1 repped this.
  2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Engender distrust?

How?

"We're really high on your long term prospects. We want to get you committed to our program, so that we can continue to give you opportunities and work with you. You are free to decline to keep your NT options open. That will give us a more clear understanding of your intentions and what resources to invest in you."

How does that engender distrust?

ifsteve and Patrick167 repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Lol

theboogeyman and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    "that is a great way to engender distrust and get dual nationals to decline callups tbh. treat everyone fairly and dont be horrible at talent evaluation seems a more prudent path"

LouisianaViking07/09 and TxEx repped this.
  5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just another hard troll of a Spazzo,amirite,boys?

/s

6. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /endthread

LouisianaViking07/09 and wixson7 repped this.
  7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  8. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    The decision to not release Gonzalez was made before Monterrey’s early exit. Most people on BSMX are angry about that (ironically they seem to understand that Macias would have been better off staying with Leon trying to help them win another title). I personally applaud the club. Regardless of fan and media opinion, it’s Leon that look like morons right now.

WrmBrnr and schrutebuck repped this.
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of ironic because they also didn't release him for a US call up. That may have caused confusion and been part of the reason he flipped. Can't remember all of the details but seems there was a lack of communication between Gonzalez, the US coaching staff and Monterrey.

10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    what a gift to the usa after el tris spectacular flameout at the u20 world cup surely portends aggressive attempts to recruit dual national youth prospects. now gregggggg can just say jonathan gonzalez thought he was in their plans too

Marko72, superdave and Pegasus repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's still only 20. Plenty of time for Jonathan to become part of their plans.
    Probably starting with the U23 CONCACAF Championships this fall. [Unless Monterrey don't release him for that.]

Of course I also think that HE needs to improve the quality of his game. Once all of the hubbub died down about his switch, and people watched his actual games they thought...…………"Well, he's good. But he's not so good that I need to freak out about this. He's not Pogba for Christ's sake."

wixson7 and superdave repped this.
  12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    plenty of people thought he was a lot better than tyler adams at the time...

STR1 and gogorath repped this.
  13. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Monterrey are a huge team. He could have been starting in the league the past few seasons, the problem is very few can match Monterrey level wages. He got there still a kid but hopefully it serves as a good example for young players that if you're just barely below the level to play consistently, you could find yourself in this situation because no one will want to pay your wage, let alone your transfer fee. From a career perspective being at Monterrey is high risk, moderate reward. Young players that have aspirations other than money shouldn't go there period.

15. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    How's Jona doing?

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JoGo is in Minneapolis where the All Star game between MLS and LigaMX is happening. Not involved for LigaMX, or for MLS for that matter, he's just with Minnesota United now, so he's in the area... guess MLS gave him a chance after all.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Is he no longer with Sociedad?

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dspence2311 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    JOnathan Gonzalez is exhibit A for why people shouldn't get overly emotional about young dual-nationals. I know its extremely tempting to do so, but 99% of the time they don't develop into "difference making" players for the national team. Julian Araujo? Nice player. Our right back starts for Barcelona. David Ochoa? Promising goalkeeper. We just sold a younger goalkeeper to Chelsea. The list is endless.

In the last 35 years (the time I've been a USMNT fan), we've lost two difference making dual nationals. Subotic and Rossi. One never played for us, and the other was a refugee with little emotional connection to the US. Sure, there were others that were eligible. Jonathan David, and the like. Jonathan David left the US when he was 3 months old. So little chance. But if we'd really pushed hard, maybe we could have landed Rossi and Subotic. But would our results have been substantially different in those eras with those players. Not likely. Better to go with the guys that want to play for you, than obsess over those that don't.

WrmBrnr, Yowza, deejay and 2 others repped this.
  20. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    If I’m not mistaken and have said in other threads, I’m fairly confident that FIFA passed a rule in the last year or two that would make him eligible for the US again if he goes through the process. Something along the lines of getting 3 or fewer caps by the age of 23 and being eligible to file a switch to another national team. Someone might know clearer?

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. Let's see how he does with Minnesota. If he can get back on track, then we can worry about eligibility. There are some pretty good central midfielders like Keaton Parks that struggle to get into the USMNT.

SoccerFanInIA repped this.
  22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I could be recalling incorrectly, but my recollection is that the powers that be really blew it into recruiting Gonzalez, suggesting that those waters might be a little bit poisoned.

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Those people are no longer with the USSF, so if Gonzalez plays well, and if he is eligible, perhaps it wouldn't be a barrier.

SoccerFanInIA repped this.
  24. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    1000% but he also plays a part of the midfield where the USMNT is not so deep at. Not sure Keaton fits that role as much unless GB switches to more of a double pivot. Would more compare Gonzalez to a guy like Aidan Morris, more of a pure 6 type last I remembered. But will admit I haven’t seen JoGo play live action.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In any event, as of right now its irrelevant.
    He's not making the USMNT or Mexico without substantial improvement.
    Did people watch him at Necaxa and Queretaro?

Will the Jonathan Gonzalez obsession ever end?
    That's the question.

If Jonathan Gonzalez starts playing really well, then maybe Mexico will come back for him. His brother Adrian represented Mexico youth teams recently.

Did we burn bridges with him? I doubt it. I think the whole thing is overplayed by people trying to find reasons to bash the USSF.

When he was making his decision, Sarachan preferred to give Adams and McKennie their first appearances with the USMNT instead. And he brought Acosta to that Portugal friendly too, and Kellyn is likely to be on our World Cup team. With every passing day the USSF/USMNT seem more and more right in their assessment of Gonzalez.

WrmBrnr repped this.