The Joe Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in case anyone wonders if died or something.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080917/ap_on_el_pr/biden;_ylt=Ag1mwKtPn.Cg9oKKfY3fAMis0NUE

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he released his medical records yet?

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sen. Obama needs to get the media to focus on the Joe Biden part of his ticket - he has some words all America needs to hear:

[​IMG]
    Biden: Be Patriotic, Pay More Taxes
    Dem VP candidate declares that paying higher taxes 'to help get America out of the rut' is patriotic thing to do
    by Associated Press
    Thursday, September 18, 2008
    http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/0...icans-must-pay-more-taxes-to-show-patriotism/
    "Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden says that paying higher taxes is the patriotic thing to do... Biden told ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Thursday that, in his words, “it’s time to be patriotic … time to jump in, time to be part of the deal, time to help get America out of the rut.”

Listen up America.... Obama/Biden want your money... salute your check and send it in!

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously the quote is parsed - Biden said it's time for the wealthiest Americans, not all Americans, to pay more, and he's right - but that doesn't mean it wasn't an incredibly stupid soundbyte to give.

I still think Biden was a good choice, but no question he has foot-in-mouth disease.

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thats if you are very wealthy. From the same article:

7. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

I earn less than 5 Million. Looks like I win!

8. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biden's foot-in-mouth problem has largely been nullified by all the attention Palin is getting.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is a blunder, because McCain is trying to define Obama, perhaps a bit unfairly, as the candidate who wants to tax us, and this is the kind of soundbite that helps portray his ticket that way.

But, don't worry, nobody is paying attention to him right now.

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here.... maybe now people will notice him...

[​IMG]

11. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is incredibly disturbing.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    You forgot the lipstick........

13. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Biden, starting the day with one foot in his mouth with his comment that paying higher taxes is the patriotic thing to do, decided to stick the other foot in as well; you geologists will recognize the analogy of being in a hole and continuing to dig!

From MSNBC
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/18/1419074.aspx
    "Biden, speaking to members of the Laborers International Union of North America, began by saying that there is “no disagreement” between John McCain and Barack Obama on the need for tax cuts. The real issue, he said, is who gets them. “Catholic social doctrine as I was taught it is, you take care of people who need the help the most,” he said. “Now it’d be different if you could make the case to me that by giving this tax cut to the very wealthy, everybody else was going to be better off. We saw what happened the last eight years when we gave that tax cut.”

Theater of the absurd; taxes not just a patriotic duty but also a religious experience! Like Ann, I firmly believe Joe's theological adviser is Naomi Wolf. I assume Hillary Clinton is just waiting for Obama to cut this clown loose...

14. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Ummm, if you were a Catholic, like Joe Biden or myself, you'd realize he's absolutely right.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I've heard this from many of you but the relevant point here is this: Bishops are not knocking on my door as they are on Biden's door warning him dangerous trespass so let's be clear when you draw distinctions... Here's some reading matter to bring you current:

Denver Bishops Say Biden Is Wrong
    Respond to "Flawed Moral Reasoning"
    http://hvcljournal.typepad.com/lifenet/2008/09/denver-bishops-bidens-abortion-position-is-wrong.html
    DENVER, Colorado, SEPT. 8, 2008 (Zenit.org).- NBC's "Meet the Press" has inadvertently become the stage for some Catholic politicians to display "flawed moral reasoning," according to the bishops of Denver... Senator Joseph Biden, Senator Barack Obama's running mate on the Democratic presidential ticket, appeared on the same program last Sunday. The senator "compounded the problem" with his explanation of when life begins, according to the bishops.

Bishops v. Biden
    Christianity Today
    September 10, 2008 12:48PM
    http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctpolitics/2008/09/bishops_v_biden.html
    "...the Senator’s claim that the beginning of human life is a 'personal and private' matter of religious faith, one which cannot be 'imposed' on others, does not reflect Catholic teaching..."

So if Joe Biden is already at war with our good Catholic Bishops, he might think it worthy of pause before absurdly telling me and other Americans that taxes are a religious experience! No doubt you'll slander me and my faith some more but you really need to read deeply at what Biden is saying here, particularly so since his statements on religion have already drawn rebuke from Bishops in the Church.

16. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    You forgot to mention the part where they say Biden is wrong about Catholic doctrine stressing that we should take care of those who need help the most.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Slow Joe Biden:
    Paying high taxes is patriotic.

Giving to charity is pathetic.
    OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like an early 20th century surrealist portrait.

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay that made me laugh... a lot....

:)

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New McCain/Palin campaign ad here... transcript as follows:

"Joe Biden calls paying higher taxes a “patriotic” act. Obama and Biden voted to raise taxes on working Americans making just $42,000 a year.

Higher taxes on seniors and their life savings. Higher taxes on your electric bills.

Lots more taxes. Lots more patriots."

Are Obama/Biden pushing their own version of the Patriot Act with their call for more taxes? Did Joe Biden itemize his taxes this year? Isn't that grossly unpatriotic using his own definition?

21. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    What you conservative idiots of course missed is that he was talking about how it was the patriotic duty of the WEALTHY to pay taxes. I know reading isn't exactly a strong point with you Reeps, but find the transcript of what Biden said again and have a liberal help you sound out the big words. Okay?

But thanks for trying to distract us from the economic mess you've led this country into. You gave it your best shot.

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Shocking. Another bald faced lie from the bald old man (ooohhhhh, he might call me a ******** for making fun of his thinning hair).

He has sold his soul to the worst of the worst in the republican party. Die in a fire John McCain.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sure. Nice attempt at placing blame. I'm sure that it is only the conservatives who have been lending money to those with bad credit, and borrowing money to buy a house they cannot afford.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hey, come on. Was this done on purpose, or by mistake?

Do you ever wonder why most posters here don't take you seriously?

25. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mistake... the edit feature is no longer but if you wish to change it please go ahead... nothing intentional... typing too fast...