The Joe Biden Presidency II : He's too old...or something like that!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Mar 27, 2024.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    OK - so Greg Sargent has a decent update. For those who know him, Greg is ex WAPO, staunch pro democracy and antitrump journo.
    • Biden is refusing to go
    • Lots of Dem electeds think he can't win/is deeply damaged
    • There isn't sufficient will to try to push him, because it will damage things further
    • This is why AOC, black caucus etc likely backed him - there is no other option
    • The party has no mechanism to engage a popular base of support one way or other
    So everyone is resigned to Biden staying in because he's a stubborn old goat / fighter from scranton / delusional (choose one)

Greg is personally pessimistic but there's always hope.

Basically this is the worst timeline IMO

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Obviously Biden is too old to be a forceful advocate on a grueling campaign. That's not really up for argument.

More widely, I think a lot of people were (naturally) resistant to the pre-debate accusations by Republicans that Biden was too old. I mean, look at the title of this thread someday. So there is some cognitive dissonance that the party which is always wrong about everything were right about something. We need to reckon with that. And then move on.

Every day we go on with this farce is increasing my hopelessness. Other than a few highly online people, everybody knows what has to happen next.

The Jitty Slitter, Sounders78 and MattR repped this.
  3. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The problem now seems to be Biden thinks he's Theoden but maybe he's Denethor

Val1 repped this.
  5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Okay, @Deadtigers , this gets entered into the post of the year running.

Might be the single best post to describe P&CE ever.

6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just leaving this here.

ToMhIlL and rslfanboy repped this.
  7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I googled the first name and was like, how am I suppose to know what he is talking about. At the least use Shakespeare.

luftmensch, Sounders78 and Kazuma repped this.
  8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The front page of the Washington Post is wild--in between all the stories about how Biden is obviously not fit to run for President, current events force them to shoehorn examples of him being an effective President in the here-and-now.

Mike03, luftmensch, Kazuma and 2 others repped this.
  9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read LOTR once, as a child, while recovering from tonsillectomy. SO many references in this forum go over my head.

Sounders78, Dr. Wankler and Kazuma repped this.
  11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This is a I am saying. A huge part of January 6th not being I act of treason with Republicans is everybody started saying what Trump said including Fox. So rather than run around questioning Biden's age it should be yeah he's old but look at all that he f****** does every day. And keep repeating do not feed them any one lie about anything else.

12. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My dad gave me his copy of the Hobbit to read when I was a teen and he can’t stand LOTR fans. As he said, “yeah, LOTR fans are something else.” I share that viewpoint. I read the books, they were fine. But it’s obvious a lot of LOTR fans didn’t read much else growing up.

That said, closest I’m like that is the book Master and The Margarita by Bulgakov. And it’s still remotely nothing like the zeal LOTR fans have.

Dr. Wankler, bigredfutbol and Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I saw a TikTok of a WaPo editor mocking someone she knew about a Biden person having to deal with the last couple weeks. WaPo has a policy of not appearing biased on social media and this woman is out there flaunting it.

What bugs me most about this, is just that the Beltway media and the NYT aren’t trying to appear objective at all. The way they were acting in the briefing room the other day and then acting like Biden committed the mortal sin of… not having many press conferences. I spent 3 years of college having not showing bias drilled into my head. The ethics classes I had to take, the lectures from faculty advisors at the student newspapers, and there they are wiping their asses with it. One of my instructors mentioned they felt uneasy about putting up a political sign in their yard even though they weren’t working for a newspaper and hadn’t in 2 years then.

Sounders78 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    After him stating a few times now he is not stepping aside, it will look bad if he is somehow now pushed aside.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is no way to push him aside.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Not nearly as bad as seeing him try and string a sentence together.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Have people here watched this?

This is pretty much where he's at IMO. I guess you can run the country like this but it doesn't exactly fit with the idea of campaigning.

Sounders78 repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, I mean they somehow are able to convince him. Either way he is cooked because part of the media supporting him have now questioned his age / mental condition. The only hope is that the strong anti-Trump vote shows up.

gatotkaca3 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This was from yesterday.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen clips of the guy you're worried about him losing to? The guy who doesn't have to worry about running the country so he's free to focus on campaigning?

I'm convinced that at least some of the media focus on this story is driven by an underlying anxiety among the punditocracy--it's slowly beginning to dawn on them that not only has the public largely tuned them out, establish Democrats are on the verge of doing the same.

Phillyspur, Dr. Wankler, Kazuma and 2 others repped this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're undoubtedly culturally significant, and I respect that they provide a cultural touchstone for a lot of people.

Just not my thing.

22. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It strikes me as odd that the main debate here seems to be, what should we do about how the NYT and WaPo are reporting in this. That’s the whole back and forth! It’s hopeless! vs. Look what he did that the media isn’t reporting!

Meanwhile, polls show….

What am I not getting?

23. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Not being a dick, but that was a prepared speech read from a teleprompter. The ABC interview was not scripted.

He’s old. He’s slower. Still way better than Trump, but not ideal. I’m riding with Biden, but there’s no denying the slow down. It doesn’t bother me. It apparently does bother a lot of people.

24. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very wise!

25. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I get it, but I also see this with Harry Potter fans, it gets annoying and it shows a lack of curiosity.

As I said a while back about LOTR fans:

Read some new books, you dweebs.

bigredfutbol repped this.