The Joe Biden Presidency I :: Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Full interview with Seth Meyers. Biden clearly is still pretty sharp, much sharper than the orange idiot.

Mike03, The Jitty Slitter and xtomx repped this.
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, that was Chris Christie with the ice cream cone, chasing some guy down the boardwalk on the Jersey Shore.

Deadtigers and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cracking on non-filers:

Mike03 repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An example on how trying to buy peoples votes ends up not working as you expected.

rslfanboy and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This does absolutely noting to address the reason people are coming. It only puts the emphasis on Mexico and elsewhere to deal with the migrants. IOW, just like with the unhouses around here (Denver/Boulder), NIMBY. And, btw, it will make Mexico more unsafe, both for the migrants and for the people living on the US side of the border.

It is an absolutely horrendous take to make a policy on immigration that stops at our border.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Oh, 1 person's opinion. Cool

luftmensch, superdave, rslfanboy and 4 others repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have posted others, but there is no study out there on how many people have their loans forgiven and are now in the 'won't vote for genocide Joe' camp.

8. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Must be nice to be so special :rolleyes:

Deadtigers and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sorry, is this meant to be funny??? :cautious:

Are you maybe suggesting he should be doing things things that deliberately make people worse off so they DO vote for him?

I mean, what's your point here?

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He's IC'ing as always. Joe is so unpopular with Republicans that even forgiving thousands of bucks in student loans won't sway them.

xtomx and Deadtigers repped this.
  11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not sure if it was his point, but what I simply took from it was 'you cant fix stupid'.

Obamacare is similar -- Improved many lives but I bet there is a good chunk of people that are benefitting hugely from it that still vote Republican (probably based on issues that don't even impact them). Some of them are so stupid they don't even know they have Obamacare.

"Sure, he saved me a $100k but I saw a video of a bunch of migrants scuffling with cops in a place I never even visit, so Trump it is"

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    What I got out of it. Maybe if his momma had croaked he'd have appreciated Biden's loan forgiveness more.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This dude and other young people that agree with him are more in the 'both parties are the same" camp.

He could be one of those Bernie Bros that would never vote Democrat anyways.

The Israel-Hamas war is just the excuse he is using.

14. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    While all of this is true, I disagree 100% with his assertion that forgiving student loans is trying to "buy votes". That is just lazy thinking.

15. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

It's good for the economy. That individual now has $800 more disposable income than before. That will go to pubs, etc instead of going to large banks to line the pocket of the CEO with multimillion dollar bonuses.

luftmensch, ToMhIlL, BocaFan and 2 others repped this.
  16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, yeah... I get that. But it's hardly a startling revelation, is it. I think we all pretty much KNEW that.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sounds awesome. Why not forgive everybody's debt then ?

Dr. Wankler, BocaFan and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's an interesting question as to whether a debt that's mainly taken on by people who go on to earn more money should be forgiven when debts that mainly impact on the poor and who earn less, isn't.

Another issue though I suppose.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a political POV, college educated are becoming a huge pro Democrat demographic, so it makes sense to throw money at them. Plus Biden is doing it by executive decision, much easier politically.

From an economic POV, a round of stimulus to say the bottom 20% of income earners may have a bigger impact, but Congress is not going to approve that and it can not be done by executive order.

20. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I'm basing the following solely off a conversation with a colleague who was talking about her daughter's student loan. She was telling me that you can't pay it off early by doing double payments, etc. You are forced to pay the interest regardless. Again, I don't know the circumstances of the loan, but that sounds very counter-productive if you are the one taking a loan, and quite profitable if you are the lender. From the comment in the tweet that started this conversation, it sounds like a very similar situation, where your money goes to pay interest, not the actual loan. I can see why that is problematic.

Auriaprottu, luftmensch and xtomx repped this.
  21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    So far as I can tell, those whose debts have been forgiven have smaller amounts, have been paying for a decade(s), or have already paid a decent chunk of their debt. No?

xtomx, soccernutter and charlie15 repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a stupid comment....SMFH..... What's next? All lifes matter?

Auriaprottu and xtomx repped this.
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The student loans which are being forgiven are government subsidized loans which have a long history of being paid on on time. Also, many of those loans are being forgiven because people worked in public sector (IOW, underpaid) jobs. Or have loans that are low in value (under $10k IIRC). This guy who posted his bullshit about the amount being repaid is an anomaly in terms of size of debt forgiven.

But, the value of the student loan one has to take out usually is outsized based on the employment one takes.

Beyond that, forging students loans is a way for younger people to build enough wealth to be able to afford a starter home, and to begin to build serious wealth.

24. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it’s not a stupid comment. I mean if you can’t defend the policy maybe it’s a bad policy? Name calling isn’t enough.

@celito

1. We often do. It’s called bankruptcy.
    2. Also, see COVID business loans
    3. The argument in favor is that we are better off as a nation forgiving this debt. @Sounders78 gave a classic example of how that works.
    4. We should incentivize higher education.
    5. We should not have a society where class inequities easily replicate themselves via college diplomas as an expensive gate keeper.

luftmensch, Dr. Wankler, Mike03 and 3 others repped this.
  25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That seems like a really stupid system. I'd be interest to know if that's the normal case. I wouldn't be against readjusting interest rate to something nominal for example or make adjustments based on payments already made. Outright wiping out debt doesn't sit well with me. Specially if the reason is "they will spend it on the economy". Honestly, the economy doesn't seem to need that "help" now.

When Biden first announced debt forgiveness I remember seeing a story on Yahoo about a couple with $40k in debt. They had enough savings to pay it off. Something like $60-$70k. Because of the debt forgiveness news (hope that it get wiped away), they chose to buy a house. That just doesn't sit well with me. Something I wouldn't be able to do myself based on principle. If it's as you say that you can't just pay it off, it would make a bit more sense. I don't know if they qualified for it, but it's the thought process that's bothersome.

BocaFan and bostonsoccermdl repped this.