The Joe Biden Presidency I :: Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For us, IIRC, we did a lot of sarcasm regarding Clinton. The Deplorable, the pant suits, smile more, and stuff like that. In our sarcasm, we were constantly repeating the attack lines. And we are doing it again with Biden. Most of it is the NYTPitchbot stuff, but we are saying "...and how it is bad for Biden" so much that I worry, eventually, it will become the perceived truth. Even to us. And it goes hand in hand with what @Yoshou said about the need of a horse race.

Deadtigers, Quakes05, Sounders78 and 2 others repped this.
  2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Nichols hammers this point all the time--Trumpers are bored, affluent narcissists.

Deadtigers, Kazuma, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all true, but in fairness the high cost of housing* combined with high interest rates really is a big factor for a lot of people. When the biggest purchase/investment of your entire life starts looking out of reach, it's easy to miss all the other good news.

Housing in the USA is way too god damned expensive.

*Which ain't Biden's fault

luftmensch, Deadtigers, Quakes05 and 4 others repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The addiction to politics as nothing more than election results and poll numbers got us here. If they had to cover 'politics' as governing and how policies and legislation actually get implemented, things would be much better.

luftmensch, Mike03, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You see. Corners with taco trucks would be good for my family so I'm going to have to vote against Biden.

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    OTOH I'm gonna call my next band "The Taco Truckers."

Deadtigers, Mike03 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Housing, health care and education inflation have all outpaced CPI. Unless you're wealthy in this country, all of these are out of reach and a lot of younger folks are giving up on saving for them.

luftmensch, celito, Dr. Wankler and 9 others repped this.
  8. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, when taking into consideration the annual budget (tuition + living expenses), it is cheaper for a student to get a degree in New Zealand as an international student than it is to get one at the University of Washington in Seattle if you are an in-state tuition paying student.

raza_rebel, Deadtigers, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, those as well--but while the education and health care crises have been building for a while, the crazy ass rise of interest rates and next-level housing costs are more recent and I think that's the part voters are (not fairly) more likely to specifically be associating with Biden. That was my point; but you're 100% correct overall.

Deadtigers, Mike03 and soccernutter repped this.
  10. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Totally. I think about people who had been long term planning and saving for a house during the ZIRP days only to see their dream washed away by inflation and the resultant rate hikes.

bigredfutbol and soccernutter repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s when Los Lobos does Drive By Truckers covers.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insert 'why this is bad for Biden' meme

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Been reading some stuff from this guy and I wonder how it will play out in the next election...

His point is that, over the last 30+ years, despite average incomes going up, for the 2/3rds of Americans without a college degree their lives have generally got worse and, (in some ways more importantly), levels of inequality have also risen.

Mike03 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Or you have good timing.

I bought a small condo in 2019. At the time, I was either at the office, traveling constantly, or just out and about. Didn't see a need to buy a large place, I wasn't home often, just needed a place to rest between adventures. Interest rate? 3.3 percent.

Then, Covid happens. I'm not traveling as much and really haven't since 2020 (Though I'm hoping to fix that next year). I had a chance to buy my sister's condo but I'd have been paying 6% so I said nah. In hindsight, I'd have bought the small bungalow down the street from me.

Either way, not complaining.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    You're not exactly "young" anymore, my young friend. :p

Also, I know you're family isn't "loaded," but I imagine you probably had a bit of a head start over most of your peers across the nation. The rest of this is not taking you to task, but just kind of illustrating the point:

When I bought my first place at 25yrs old, you could get a house in SLC in the mid $100's if you didn't mind living far away from the city center; closer in a really old home in a bad part of town, or $200 in a 1950s home in a crappy part of town closer in. So to get a $200k 30yr mortgage at around 7%, you're looking at ~$1600/month (taxes & escrow included) -> $20k/yr -> income of around $60k/yr to qualify. I was making close to $35k waiting tables while going to school, and my wife got an entry level job in her industry as she started grad school making about the same. My parents chipped in a bunch to get us up to the $300k home in a nicer place on the nice side of the valley but 25minutes out from the city.

That same home is now selling for close to $600k. Now if you're looking at financing around $500k, you'll need to earn closer to $180k to afford the same house I lived in 15 years ago. Not exactly entry-level.

16. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oof, this inspired me to check up on my old house, and it's a very similar situation. I bought it in 2013 on a single teacher's salary ($40,000). Built in 1960, 1500 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 15 minutes from downtown KC in a just-okay school district, $140,000. We sold it in 2020 for $215,000, and Zillow is now estimating that it is worth $285,000. It has doubled in price in ten years. And if I was in the same position as a new-ish teacher, I'd be making a whopping $47,000...

17. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #8442 Kazuma, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    We're Millennials! We're young in a lot of people's eyes. :p We'll be in our 50s and 80 year old pundits we'll be complaining about us buying avocado toast. Or killing Bob Evans.

Put this way, family is affluent. We all live in one of the nicest parts of Michigan, I live in the same town as Mallory McMorrow (And a good chunk of her district is wealthy). And I had a head start and will admit it.

A family friend ages ago bought a home in Detroit's Sherwood Forest neighborhood, arguably the nicest neighborhood in Detroit that isn't Downtown or Corktown. 2011, they bought it for $150-160k. Now? There's homes in that neighborhood starting around $400k to a million. I reckon it's worth around $600-700k and this is a 3 story home.

Sibling ages ago got a condo a few streets away from me for $70k in 2017. When it was sold this year, it was $150k. I think my dad near fainted when he learned of that. When I bought my current place, I was making around $65k*, dad significantly helped me out. Paid $69k for my place in 2019, it's worth around $125k I think.

Coincidentally, I did see an article about home prices rising in the metro Detroit area the fastest in the US. There is affordable spots in Detroit proper, but the problem is they're either in bad spots, the homes are falling apart, or it's vacant land. Though it's obvious I'm starting to see signs of growth.

That said, I would love a house in either the University District, the Palmers, or East English Village. Ages ago I almost bought a place in Corktown when I worked in Detroit proper. I know prices in that area now are insane. I actually just looked at the University District and there's a few spots that are affordable.

*: Right now, unemployed but there's a role I interviewed for that if I get will be a great opportunity.

soccernutter and rslfanboy repped this.
  18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Worth watching by the way.

Also, Biden is the best empathetic President around.

soccernutter and bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    YEEESH
    I shouldn't have checked in on my old place (rented with a few friends). Constructed in 1956. It sold in 2000 for 200K and by 2005 was 447K. Sold in Feb 2022 for $815K. The listing price was 735K, so it looked like a bidding war occurred.

Our current house was constructed in 1982 and sold for 109K. Changed hands a few times (162K in 2001 and 355K in 2012). It took a hell of a hit from 2008-2012 but still doubled in price in a decade. We bought for 529K and it is estimated at 598K. And we have made small changes. (shrug emoji)

Both houses are 3 bedroom/2 bath. The 1956 house has 1895 sq. feet in the Landmark/Alexandria Va. area and our current one is 1799 (lol ..no) sq. feet in Springfield. Neither are close to a MARC or Metro station by at least 6 or 7 miles, but the bus system is infinitely better in Alexandria. I highly doubt the wife and I would be able to afford anything if we entered the workforce this year. Not without a significant 0% loan from family and/or multiple side hustles.

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The prices on my first home largely leveled off after I sold it. It was a 650sq ft co-op apartment built in 1923. I bought in 2000 for 104K and sold it in 2010 for 300K. Subsequent sales.
    2014 340K
    2019 349K

soccernutter and raza_rebel repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My parents bought a brownstone (skinny, only 2 windows wide) in a working class Italian-American neighborhood in Brooklyn in 1967 for $19,500. I looked on Zilliow and it has been split into 2 units and one of them was selling for ~$1 million.

soccernutter repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recently looked at:
    The condo parents bought in Boulder in 1975 at 35k. Currently assessed at 819k*
    Home in South Pasadena, CA (over the bridge from NE LA) bought for 25k. Sold in 1999 for 625k; 2001 for 595k; 2003 for 845k; 2007 for 1.45m; Zillow currently values at 2.58m :eek:
    Grandparents home in FL was bought as new construction for 71k in 1971; checked sometime late last year and it was 350k; currently Zillow says 450k.

* - Fortunately able to take over as dad went into assisted living nearby. Zillow says 713, but a neighbor said she got an unsolicited offer of over 1m recently. 3 places in the complex have sold this year - two around 850k, and one at 680k. Once the remodel is complete, if listed, I'd ask for 1m. But I don't plan on moving any time soon.

I mean, ******** me. There is a reason the recent election here in Boulder had affordable housing as an issue for most candidates.

luftmensch repped this.
  23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought my house in Seattle in 2009 for $442k pretty close to the bottom of the crash and while we've dumped a bunch of money into the house, it's all stuff that doesn't add value (replaced the water pipes from the street and inside the house to pex from galvanized, replaced furnace from oil to gas, replaced siding and roofing, lined the clay sewer line, and insulated house). Depending on site you use, it is currently between $900k and $1m.

soccernutter repped this.
  24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought my first house in 1979 in Omaha, Nebraska with an interest rate of 12.5% after a down payment of 20%. That house would be $236,000 in today's dollars. According to Zillow that house would sell for $244,000 today.

Salaries, of course, haven't kept up with inflation. My salary in 1979 would be $122,000 based on inflation. There is no way that current salaries are anywhere near there. That is a problem that is only exacerbated in high housing cost areas.

How can we fix this problem?

soccernutter and bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Increase taxes on higher earners so that they have less disposable income to buy (second) houses.