The Joe Biden Presidency I :: Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    OK, Boomer :p

There had to be some Boomers that gave us Ronnie, no?

1980 Pres. Election: JC RR

18–21 years old: 45% 44%
    22–29 years old: 44% 44%
    30–44 years old: 38% 55%
    45–59 years old: 39% 55%
    60 and older: 41% 55%

celito repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Was the Vineyard I think. But yeah, whined about being shunned.

Smurfquake repped this.
  3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God damn it, I mixed up the islands off the coast of Massachusetts. ********.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing is that those 30-44 year-olds were the Woodstock generation.

Tune in, turn on, drop out and vote Republican.

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “President Joe Biden took aim at corporations Monday for charging prices he said were artificially high even though the rate of inflation has slowed and some shipping costs have fallen,” CNBC reports.

Said Biden: “Any corporation that has not brought their prices back down, even as inflation has come down, even as the supply chains have been rebuilt, it’s time to stop the price-gouging. Give the American consumer a break.”

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “More than 800,000 student loan borrowers are set to receive a message from President Biden Tuesday afternoon,” Axios reports.

“The email is a direct appeal from the president to beneficiaries of his administration’s debt forgiveness push, as his approval rating among Democrats hit a record low last month, jeopardizing his 2024 re-election bid.”

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    He's not been perfect but I've never seen a president denied positive coverage of his legislative achievements as Biden has.

Like no matter what he does there's more to be made of things not being perfect. Bringing jobs back from overseas, some student loan relief, inflation reduction act, a cap on insulin, stabilizing Obamacare. All positives and all talked about for 2 days before more negative coverage

8. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Yeah, but what has he done for us lately?

(As in the last 24 minutes or so)

9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The coverage of the Afghanistan withdrawal had me convinced that people still want it to be 2001. Also, Biden succeeding Obama and Trump, two people who had charisma in their own ways while Biden is a generic politician with a goofy uncle vibe I think also annoyed the press.

Biden also has a tendency to be buttoned up, something that obviously annoys the press.

bigredfutbol and Deadtigers repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hallelujah indeed!!!!

“Fresh data released Wednesday shows U.S. economic growth in the third quarter was even better than previously thought: Gross domestic product increased at a 5.2% annualized rate,” Axios reports.

“The data, from the July to September period, is the latest indicator pointing to a booming economy that continues to defy gloomy warnings of a slowdown. “

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This all day.

12. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, 100%. I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say I voted for Biden with low expectations. Basically, my expectation was stop fascism. But he’s like the Ichiro of presidents…high batting average, but few home runs.

I wonder if the drama of Trump has deadened reporters’ ability to cover the boringness of passing laws that help people.

13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    As Kautilya meant to say, "the enemy of my enemy is...uh...my enemy"! :cautious:

KCFutbol and Deadtigers repped this.
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm holding the continued existence of VAR against him.

chaski, Q*bert Jones III and Deadtigers repped this.
  15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Almost to the end of the term and he still hasn't got the borders truly open... :(:thumbsdown:

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've verified that there are still corners without taco trucks.

chaski, bigredfutbol, Funkfoot and 8 others repped this.
  17. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I said constantly that voting for Biden was like calling your dad. You don't want to, but you have to. Turns out it'll be a good decision because while you're skeptical, he's doing things beyond your expectations.

I wrote last night that going from two Presidents who were more charismatic to a guy who is more low key (But actually quite funny) is not exactly a plus if you want to be entertainment focused.

Michelle Wolf put it best about the media and Trump that's for sure.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYT PITCHBOT!

Is Biden too old to realize how hot the economy is? And will it contribute to global warming? Will that increase the border crisis? Both the left and the right are concerned.

bigredfutbol, Sounders78 and Deadtigers repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never fear, there is always a caravan coming.

20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tweet apologies but touches on things.

I also think social media has a part to play in negativity as well. Boredom as well.

dapip, charlie15, bigredfutbol and 3 others repped this.
  21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Remember the Press corps complaining about the lack of leaks as compared to Trump.

22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The media is a big part of the problem (not in the way Trump thinks it is). There should be a direct line from "Democratic Congress Passes IRA and CHIPS acts" in 2022 to "America Is Back In The Factory Business" (actual Wall Street Journal headline, link) in 2023, but a lot of people respond to polls saying they think the economy is terrible and it's Biden's fault.

charlie15, bigredfutbol and Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBH, I think news media is legitimately trying to suppress Biden's ratings so that they have something to cover next year in the election. If it weren't for the news media constantly banging on Biden's negatives, he would be walking away with the election and it would essentially be a foregone conclusion that he'd win. Since the news media cares more about covering the horse race than covering the actual policies that impact people's lives, they need the race to be close or there is nothing interesting for them to cover. If there is no horse race for them to cover, there is nothing to drive their ratings so they can increase their ad revenues. Elections are very good for business for the news media..

dapip, charlie15, bigredfutbol and 5 others repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught something yesterday which indicated that one of the reasons so many people think the economy is terrible is that we had nearly a decade of at or near 0% interest rates, moderate inflation on most products, and big ticket items (cars, homes, etc) were going up at a good, but not obscene pace. IOW, people had more financial freedom to do as they please. Now, because big ticket items have risen dramatically, we no longer have the stimulus checks, and interest rates are dramatically above that near 0%, it feels like everything sucks. Data is different than emotion, but the perception of the economy is what is measured in polls. The strange part is that it is not measured in individual spending. Though it is interesting that even though Black Friday was bigger than last year, the number of items bought were not.

Deadtigers and bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's what they thought in 2016. Everyone knew Hillary was going to win...

I remember a SNL debate parody skit where they were forced to say something positive about the other. So "Hillary" says, "Donald, you're so generous. You're giving me this election!"

That didn't age very well

Deadtigers and bigredfutbol repped this.