The Joe Biden Presidency I :: Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find myself routinely making basic spelling mistakes I never would have 10-plus years ago.

soccernutter, taosjohn and xtomx repped this.
  2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that what's setting off some of these conservatives? The idea that a black woman has the same value as a white man causes too many people (*) to lose their shit.

(*) the number should be zero, so any number is too many.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and dapip repped this.
  3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Of course, you'd descent. :rolleyes:

soccernutter and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    @American Brummie eluded to the same in another thread. Is there more data available to support the hypothesis?

Deadtigers and American Brummie repped this.
  5. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    sure, that’s why at the Righties were so happy when Bo Bergdahl was traded for 5 people of color…. cause a white man is worth five POCs

you truly are stuck on stupid

6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying she's liked by Dems in AZ. My point is that she is even less liked by Republicans. As a result, in a three way race she is hoping Democrats will think she will be pulling more votes from the Democrat than she will be pulling from the Republican. In a state that is, currently, about as Purple as you can get, it won't take too much for her to swing the election to the Republican.

This is literally her only play to stay in the Senate. As noted pretty much everywhere, she was almost guaranteed to be primaried and, as you noted, she's deeply unpopular among AZ Dems (well, Dems as a whole), so she would more than likely lose that primary.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't call it. She's not caucusing with the Republicans.

Ruling: no prize!

taosjohn, marek and ceezmad repped this.
  9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not YET anyway.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some, almost certainly--I'd say that being LGBTQ has to factor in as well. Donald Trump Jr. is attacking her for being an "America-hater" and I can't imagine what she's ever said or done to justify that reaction. You could, I suppose, criticize her judgement for playing in a country like Russia and possessing cannabis as a pro athlete in an authoritarian country, and be somewhat miffed that we had to give up a high-level arms dealer in exchange for what you might consider her own bad judgement*--but the anger and contempt that someone like Don Jr. is expressing is way out of proportion to that take; because even then you should want an American citizen free from what was clearly a politically-motivated incarceration.

*I'm talking hypothetically, this isn't my own take on it

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way Sinema wins a 3 way. She might not even get double digits. You should look into her favorability numbers with Dems and Rs.

She probably has deluded herself into thinking that she'll appeal to registered independents, but it doesn't take @American Brummie to know that the vast majority of registered independents are hard partisans for one side or the other. All you have to do is look at the tiny, tiny number of ticket splitters there are.
    I could do without THAT many tattoos.

I wonder if that's why I watch less live soccer now than a decade ago...everybody is tatted up! (No, it's DC not just sucking but being just as boring as they are bad, and Blackburn's relegation.)
    Maybe.

Democrats in Arizona HATE HATE HATE HATE her. It's unbelievable. She'd have a hard time beating genital herpes in a closed primary.

If the GOPs nominate another Masters, and assuming Sinema runs as an I, as I understand it Gallego would have a chance.

Overall, the blogs I got to have had alot of Sinema coverage, and I think posters in this thread don't understand how bombastically unpopular she is in Arizona.
    repped. You get it. You're an Itgetter.
    This is why I don't put you on ignore. You puncture alot of liberal beliefs that are truthy but not true.

12. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    i don’t think she wins a three way race as well. But I think she’s either a Dem spoiler or Dems strategically choose not to run against her...in which case she’s the least bad candidate for Dem and moderate voters and she could win.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alluded

as to your overall point...is there a particular industry she's been in bed with? She probably thinks she can be their main lobbyist for the next 10 years and get rich.

Successful lobbyists aren't hated by both parties. So if that's her plan, she'd be better off investing in lottery tickets.

She might be a relatively successful weirdo political commentator. Look at how rich Alex Jones got. It doesn't take that many followers to get rich in that field, so long as they're devoted with a capital D. The big money will be when she sells them her line of magic crystals and scented candles and shit.

Deadtigers, song219 and rslfanboy repped this.
  14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    ********. Alluded. :eek::(

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What belief was being "punctured"?

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to dethrone the king, I see.

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    isn't the issue not that she might not get elected, but that whatev support she does have, she'll drain votes from whatever D does run?

18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I will rein in terror!

At the behest of our dear leader.

HAIL GRIMES!!!

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    None. Lieberdave is just fluffing his crush

20. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    so what would have been better?

counting the slaves as a whole person and increasing the power of the slaves states and possibly prolonging and expanding slavery?

Not counting the slaves at all and risking the breakup of the union, which would created an entire slave state with no check on future slavery decisions?

or do what was done, odiously count slaves as only 3/5… limiting the power of the slave states and keeping them in the union?

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the constitutional provision of counting slaves as 3/5 of a person rather than a whole person was a sop to the South/slaveholding states.

Think about the post that prompted marek's response. What is that poster's belief? That slaves should have been counted as whole persons which would have politically benefited the slaveowning states? I doubt it. But if that's not what he meant, then his post was incoherent.

The 3/5 compromise had basically nothing to do with how the FFs viewed slaves and their humanity. If that were the case, the positions of North and South would have been reversed.

It was about political power.

marek repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not counting them at all.

taosjohn repped this.
  23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    #5773 taosjohn, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Auria has answered this rather well; but it is almost the wrong question even though it is an obvious question-- because it arises from a modern context, a context which arises from the things they got right.

The Revolution and the Articles and then the Constitution were a process of rejection of the central structures of the European legal tradition, which arose from royalty and aristocracy, which in turn arose from tribal power structures. Nations pretty much owned their citizens, and the king owned the nation; there were grades and shades and variations-- it was much better to be a Danish farmer than a Russian one-- but that was an underlying, accepted notion.

The Convention was trying to design a government with entirely different underpinnings-- but its delegates were products of the world they were out to change, many of them educated in the law schools of that world, all of them speaking a language forged in that tradition; the very words they thought in worked against them, often.

And they regarded their states as their nations; they were replacing "Articles of Confederation," not necessarily creating a new nation, in their individual minds. What was crucial to the best of them was to get buy-in from everybody for the protection of everybody. And slavery was just a part of the world they grew up in-- the slave trade was being outlawed piece by piece around Europe, but not slavery itself yet.

Slavery was just part of the world they grew up in. There were far-seeing individuals who saw the contradictions (Hamilton) and demographic groups who were philosophically opposed to the institution (Quakers, Methodists) and these had more than a little influence on the convention, but they were counterbalanced by slaveholders who were outraged by the British failure to return slaves who ran away to accept the British offer of freedom in return for service against the Revolution. The monarchial British felt a need to keep their promise, while a portion of our side felt property rights should trump honor and humanity.

And they wanted to replace the lost slaves.

So mostly what antislavery forces were able to achieve was the establishment of a deadline after which the slave trade could be outlawed-- trade, not slavery itself. It was originally set for 1800 but amended at the last minute to 1808 as a particular sop to Georgia and South Carolina. (There was a body of opinion that the Union might be better off without Georgia and South Carolina, but Georgia was subject to constant border raiding by Spanish forces, and nobody wanted to see those states fall to Spanish rule, moving the threatened area northward.) Georgia threatened to not ratify over restrictions on slavery, and North Carolina as well, and so compromises were in order...

But slavery was just a fact of life, like trade winds and winter and indians and bad roads. Most of them didn't see the conflict with some of their ideals, or not very clearly anyway. They did frequently express the belief and hope that it was about to die out of its own accord-- even slaveholding delegates did. Both slaveholders and abolitionists were worried about the large numbers of black people bring imported and bred here; they were savages after all, and probably dangerous.

And cotton was not yet king-- the cotton gin had not yet appeared, and slaves were useful in the tobacco industry, but not critical to it. Slavery at the time of the CC was not yet the extreme institution it would become when cotton and sugar became major American industries. It was much easier to treat it as a temporary thing, an embarrassment but not a fatal flaw. They were just making stuff up as they went along, and in the process they made up stuff that has served us very well-- and also stuff that has bedeviled us ever since.

24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Oh, how the myth of the FF (founding fathers) and the CC (constitutional convention) have screwed this nation over!

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    [​IMG]

Dr. Wankler and bigredfutbol repped this.