The Joe Biden Presidency I :: Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was string theory seems too advanced for high school physics. I took physics in high school, and my memory is that we did problems on inertia and friction and so forth.

2. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Ok, once again I have to get this thread away from discussing MY character and back on track to the original subject. I guess it's just my cross to bear.

Sigh.

Everyone all at once...shout...HALLELUJAH!!

Ok, here we go.

Those dastardly Rethuglicans have once again shown their scrooge-like sour puss faces and compiled a list...and, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it is a really really REALLY long list ...of what is in the bowels of the [sarc]Build Back Better[/sarc] extravaganza spending bill.

Do scroll through the ENTIRE twitter thread. There will be a quiz.

Some crib notes for you lazy folks.
    • Free college for illegals.
    • $643 million for “culturally appropriate foods” for school lunches. No word on whether "shepherd's pie" is OK or is bigoted against sheep herders.
    • $200 million for the Presidio Trust in California’s 12th congressional district. Refresh my memory, whose district is that? It was on the tip of my tongue.
    • $80 billion to hire 87,000-IRS-agents to root around in your bank accounts if you have a $600 balance or more
    And, to use the go-to phrase in infomercials, "THERE's MORE!!!"

3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It's everywhere! :eek:

upload_2021-10-15_8-56-21.jpeg

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Like most things in physics, the basics are not that hard.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. This will turn a profit for the government over time. We will get much more back than $80B by cracking down on illegal tax avoidance.

As a believer in free markets, I think this is a terrific idea.

luftmensch, Mike03, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - in high school physics, most of what you do is Newtonian physics

But i recall some time was devoted to quantum / subatomic physics.

IIRC I came across String Theory in Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time

That was the 1980s, so it was still newish then

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is this what taxing the rich looks like though ?

The goal is to get people to declare income they otherwise might not (example .. tips). But this is targeting the low mid to low income people. The goal is to apparently raise I think $600b+ over 10 years to justify the spending being proposed.

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about string theory is too advanced? Like most things in High School physics, you don't need to go too far into the weeds to teach the intricate details of the subject. IMHO, string theory is a very interesting topic that can be used to get people who are already interested in math and physics even more interested in it. Call it a gateway drug to the hardcore math and physics.;)

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't going after low to mid income people. The monitoring is only of the volume of transactions that are going on in an account. It's not going to track individual transactions, just a yearly activity going on in an account and, for the most part, they are going to ignore the small volume accounts.

This is what they are talking about:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/treasury-proposal-to-report-bank-information-600/

A low/mid income person who reports an income of $40k and has $50k move through their accounts isn't even going to get a bat of the eye from the IRS. It's entirely built for people that report a $1 income, but, in reality, have hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars of income per year.

dapip, luftmensch, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  10. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Trending.

1448974841000902656 is not a valid tweet id

11. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Your confidence that the IRS will not use their powers for political purposes is very reassuring.

Let's email Lois Lerner for confirmation.

charlie15 repped this.
  12. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's funny that Biden hasn't spent a dime yet ... and price of things has already gone up. Makes you wonder what caused the inflation ... :whistling:

Deadtigers, luftmensch and Mike03 repped this.
  14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know.. It's almost like there was an uncontrolled pandemic that completely f**ked up the global supply chain...

Deadtigers, luftmensch, Mike03 and 3 others repped this.
  15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s global as are shortages. I do some work with a huge global commodity company and dealing with all sorts of shortages everywhere and trying to overcome shortages costs a good deal extra. Biden didn’t cause it and Biden can’t fix it but he and other global leaders will get blamed.
    This has been in the making for some time.

Deadtigers, luftmensch, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wishing for a weaker IRS is advocating for white collar criminals. I mean, it fine with me for people to defend wealthy tax evaders. That is a viewpoint. But let's be honest about the intent.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ID is not a subject that has scientific rigor which can be applied to it. In an education system that is scientifically tested (via the scientific method), ID has no place. It can't be proven false because it can't be proven true.

Again, your bigotry at work.

charlie15 repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was axiomatic that a tweet from the RSG would be full of bullshit. The right has been lying like they breath for decades now.

Add in who posted it…

19. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Never underestimate the willingness of the uneducated white man to carry water for his masters

20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s kind of an anarchy play by the very top of the 1%. Tax code is ridiculously complex and financials of those at the pinnacle are even more complex. You need a ton of resources just to take a peek.

21. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    This government doesn't make profits, though it does accumulate debt. And we're gonna accumulate a whole bunch more.

Hmmm...so you think government sticking its nose into MORE aspects of one's private life is going to be oh-so-harmless, as well as somehow beneficial to the body politic?

I cannot print up invoices for the bridge over the East River fast enough. Look for yours shortly. Payable 15 days. Do be business like about it!!!

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ID is a religious theory.

xtomx repped this.
  23. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    #2873 Karl K, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    It is true that smart ID proponents are theists, more or less.

But instead, think about it this way, even though this may be more of a semantic distinction, but maybe not.

ID it doesn't posit a "deity" -- it posits a "mind" behind the universe we live in, and all that we see and all that we understand, and what we don't.

Thus objectively identifying a non-deity running a computer simulation where we reside would prove ID.

24. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    But again, that applies to string theory too or, frankly, the theory that there is intelligent life on other planets. Talk all you want about "we'll get the technology someday" -- well, the probability of that happening is SOOOO low BECAUSE of the laws of physics. This is it for us, unless somebody lands on the White House lawn.

The same reason we will never see a prime mover BEFORE the Big Bang.

Oh, Puhleeze!! Give it up. Bigot, neo-nazi, yada yada yada.

You guys are one step away from wearing gray tunics, waving a red book in the air, and parading people you don't like or have different arguments than you or don't toe the "party" wokiesh line, through the streets with a dunce cap on....or worse.

Maybe I should call you guys the Khmer Blue. THAT would at least be creatively biting.

Hmmm....I like it... let me think about it.

Anyway, not only is it tiresome, its cliched, and, maybe even worse, as creative as an earthworm slithering through the dirt.

25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    • Free college for illegals.
    • $643 million for “culturally appropriate foods” for school lunches. No word on whether "shepherd's pie" is OK or is bigoted against sheep herders.
    • $200 million for the Presidio Trust in California’s 12th congressional district. Refresh my memory, whose district is that? It was on the tip of my tongue.
    • $80 billion to hire 87,000-IRS-agents to root around in your bank accounts if you have a $600 balance or more

You cannot help but be a bigot, can you?
    No people are "illegals." Just another racist, bigoted trope.

You speak of "cribs notes," but it is apparent you have not read a word of the actual bill.

I have read that portion of the actual bill about community college funding and it says NOTHING about "free college" for undocumented individuals. Currently, financial aid is not permitted for ANY undocumented individuals. The act is silent on the topic of immigration status "eligible student" although Section 791 (5) specifically references "students who are United States citizens."
    Frankly, I hope they offer tuition-free community college to non-documented individuals (at least Dreamers, but I would hope all individuals are "eligible students"). An educated populace helps everybody in society.

Shepherd's pie is not eaten by sheep herders you dolt (or was that another attempt at your "humor"?).

It is $200,000,000, not $600,000,000 for the Presidio Trust. Why don't you bitch about the Grand Canyon, prevention of wildfires or the $100,000,000 for urban parks, as well?

IRS Funding? Great, it is about time the IRS was properly funded and had enough agents to investigate all tax cheats. Too bad, there is no "$80 billion to hire 87,000-IRS-agents to root around in your bank accounts if you have a $600 balance or more" with nary a word about "your bank accounts."

Here is what it actually states:

(1) $78,935,000,000, to remain available until September
    30, 2031, for necessary expenses for the Internal Revenue
    Service (IRS) for strengthening tax enforcement activities and
    increasing voluntary compliance, expanding audits and other
    enforcement activities, and modernizing information technology
    to effectively support enforcement activities, except that no
    use of these funds is intended to increase taxes on any
    taxpayer with taxable income below $400,000;
    (2) $410,000,000, to remain available until September 30,
    2031, for necessary expenses for the Treasury Inspector General
    for Tax Administration to provide oversight of the IRS,
    including ensuring that taxpayer privacy is protected and that
    no undue burden is imposed on small businesses from IRS
    enforcement activities; and
    (3) $157,000,000, to remain available until September 30,
    2031, for the Tax Court for adjudicating tax disputes.

Of course, 87,000 agents would not be enough to "root around" in all bank accounts, considering there are approximately 124,000,000 households with bank accounts (many with multiple accounts, of course), not to mention the millions of business accounts.

I guess I have to take you off of "ignore" for a while, just to counter your racist, sexist, homophobic bigotry, as well as your blatant misinformation.

soccernutter and charlie15 repped this.