The JNT Striker Discussion

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Saku², Dec 22, 2013.

1. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    His style doesn't translate at the international level. no point bringing him for the sake of rewarding him, he deserves better than that.

2. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nah, I don't think he would've had much problems. But that ship has sailed.

3. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    now it has, Zac had a chance to test him and give him chance. He just called him up instead

4. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Sato had his first cap in 2006, never established himself. He did have problems.

5. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    yeah Di Natale also wasn't too good in 2006

6. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    but in 2010 was decent.

7. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    comparing Sato to Di Natale ... aaah Dax you really say the craziest shit to win an argument.

8. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Lol, Saku...was compared to a smaller scale...both players have the same profile...

9. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sounds like you didn't get the point at all
    Why would you keep judging how a player would perform in the current NT in 2013 by how he was in 2006, under another coach too (Okada). Moriyasu understood he could've done it alone upfront, there's no reason he couldn't have been used instead of Maeda, even if now there's no need anymore. I'm not even sure if it was worth contesting your "argument", to be fair.

not really the same profile, the point was just to throw a random name of a player who improved later in the age when he was used alone upfront in the right system

10. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Both are small players with great pace.

11. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Because Sato is fundamentally the same player he was in 2006. A few more goals doesn't change that fact. He never delivered, will probably never do and as you said it's too late anyway.

12. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, Okubo is also the same Okubo from 2006, I'll try to say that next time when people will ask for his callup, lol.

btw, I don't think he has even played '90 in the JNT once, so there was nothing to deliver. He (rightfully) wasn't in the manager's plan since he hasn't been as good as he was in 2006. Then Moriyasu happened. Some players just need to have more quality near them to shine

13. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Why do you bring up Okubo, who, by the way, has more individuality than Sato? Sato has always scored, he didn't wait for Moriyasu to train the team. You're being delusional.

14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You may want to recheck your stats then because last year he scored double the amounts of goals of the year before, not "a few more goals". Coincidence, he was also the pillar of the attack.
    It's like saying that "Kudo is the same as he was in 2010", he just scored a few more goals. I don't understand why you make these superficial arguments sometimes, I've seen you do better.

Okubo is just an example of the difference a player who already has it can make when being used at best by the manager and supported by a better team.
    Something Sato couldn't have done even if he wanted under Osim or Okada. I'm just saying he could have in Zac's 4-2-3-1. I may be wrong of course, but it's certainly not because "he didn't break in the JNT in 2006"...
    To make a comparison, I see him just like Okazaki is being used in Mainz currently.

nipponbasse83 repped this.
  15. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    oh for ********s sake. How many players were not on the same level years ago as they are now. Or were not in form and so on.

But Sato's chance went out of the window and with current competition up front he doesnt stand a chance frankly speaking

16. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Okazaki >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sato as a player and its not even close. Okubo is also too different so it's never going to be a pertinent name to bring out.
    I stand by my point, Sato has always scored over the course of his career, some years more than some others but these are normal fluctuations. He has always lived by his first two touches and while this is a classy skill when mastered, it's pretty difficult to translate at the international level. The way it happened proves me right anyway.

17. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If the way it happened means "the fact that he wasn't called up under Zac proves me right" then I guess not calling up Okubo again and Kawamata also means they don't deserve to be there and you agree, all right.
    normal fluctuations sounds meh

well hey they're in ACL.

18. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    it sounds meh but no striker scores exactly 25 goals every year. Normal people have some years better than others. And Zac wasn't there 2006-2010.

19. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    "exactly 25 goals every year?" uh, yeah, he was so close to that before Moriyasu's system :whistling:

Yep, normal people have years better than others. Silly me of thinking you call up players assessing their form: might want to send a PM to Zac telling him to not worry about Maeda, it's just that some years are better than others.

Sato was doing nothing special in 2006-2010, so it's acceptable that he had very limited chances after 2006. Add the fact that Sanfrecce and the NT played with different tactics than post-2010, and we're done.

Maeda meanwhile was having his best season ever in the JLeague in 2009 but nobody gave a damn back then, we had good Tamada who barely scored one goal in all 2009, the way it happened proves you right here too, I guess.

20. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    [​IMG]

omg what a difference Moriyasu made!1!1 the guy wasn't a perennial scorer before ... right.
    And please stop bringing up other strikers in this discussion, I don't give a damn. They're not related to Sato, they do not help assessing his qualities.

21. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It sure did, Sanfrecce even won the title twice and it was also thanks to Sato's new position, who even had his best season of all times. Take away the J2 seasons and you have only two great seasons of a player who looked on decline.

But that's not the point, the fact that he "scored some goals every season" just proves he wasn't a fluke like Bando or Hirai but it's not what should interest us, it's the fact that he had his best season in a role that could've worked well with last year's NT.
    Why would you care about what he did or didn't do in 2007 when he has a completely new system, coach and players near him in the JNT? That's what I found wrong about your logic, not the fact that you may think he's suited or not, of course.

Otherwise I would say immediately no to Okubo if I were to consider his (failed? I didn't watch back then) callups when he was beasting in 2003-2004, even if he has been much more average than Sato through the years, and didn't find success in Europe too.

Point being: we either only look at the characteristics of a player only despite the fact that maybe they're not scoring, and then we end calling up the Yanos, but if we do the opposite we might end up calling Havenaar (sorry Mike).
    The best is probably a mix of things (you also try to look at the technique, mental strenght, the level of physical play, etc) and I don't see wrong in a chance to a player who has all of these, and proved to be the best in Japan in finishing and moving in the lines: we had possibly the best wingers of all time in Kagawa and Okazaki and a great passer with Honda, I can hardly believe it would've went wrong with a good finisher type. In the end it did work in 2011-2012 with Maeda, even if he had just probably a better aerial game and physical than Sato. But, he was doing more in the league in that moment.

Now, of course, it's different because many young strikers developed with big numbers behind them, and I do think that Osako and Kakitani have more qualities all around - even if they're not going to score as often just by shooting from anywhere or make equally good runs in space.

btw, I brought up other players simply because you said "the way it happened", but we all know that the way it happened is that Osim, Okada, Zac, all made some mistakes along the road with their strikers selections so I wouldn't care too much about that.

22. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Interesting but you tend to forget he had to share duties with Lee, which obviously decreased his numbers. He's never changed.

23. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He did the same in 2006 with a Brazilian and it made no difference if I am to look only at the numbers.
    I don't see nothing obvious with that, Osako had to share duties with Davi and he only benefitted from him actually. That's why I'd rather discuss about things I've seen with my eyes, I admit that I can't tell you what made Sato great in 2006 or what made Okubo great in Cerezo.

The only thing I can clearly notice here is that when he was put alone and the team worked for him it worked so well that they won the title twice... not that it was only thanks to him, obviously.

24. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    #24 Saku², Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    Lee was doing everything for Sanfrecce, a much more complete striker who was overshadowing Sato so I don't think you can compare it to Osako's case or even Okubo's. And stop bringing Okubo up while he is faster, stronger and more complete than Sato. I'd definitely rather have him than Sato that's for sure. Numbers are a good picture but there's more to this game than statistics, nobody will care if you scored 21 or 12 goals in a season when the whistle is blowed in an international match.

If Sanfrecce won two titles, it's because the team became better as a whole, not because Sato became a great scorer since this is what's he been his whole life.
    And I've never said it was a fluke, wtf. Some players are just not meant to be successful at the highest level, it's not an insult. Okazaki never scored 36 goals in a season but he's 2 times the player Gon Nakayama was for the NT.

Of course there's nothing wrong in trying but what I am saying is that I know what the result will be. That's the point of the forum, otherwise I can keep playing mister obvious.

Pjdawa repped this.
  25. Pjdawa

Pjdawa Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Agree with Saku on this one.

The fact that Sanfrecce won two titles under Moriyasu tenure is probably due to the fact that they developed a much better defense with him rather than with Petrovic.
    Sato is lone striker...but in reality plays alongside Ishihara and Takahagi who like him are bound to play vertically,relying on speed,penetration and counters...plus they have real wingers (in JNT Kagawa,Okazaki...all the others,great players...but not classical wingers). So,on top of that i don't really see Sato having some utility in JNT,neither the chance to play in a tactical unit where his qualities could be effectively put in use.

p.s. Have a Merry Christmas You all my friends.

Lupin III and Samurai Warrior repped this.