The Jamaican National Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by ja2ny, Dec 14, 2008.

1. -WiLL-

-WiLL- Member

Jun 23, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    So why aren't any of these English based players playing for Jamaica? I came on here because I was just wondering why there are all these players from obscure leagues playing and players like Beckford, Henry, Hoilett etc aren't. Is it because their not Jamaican enough and people don't want them? or is it bad organisation? or lack of desire to play from them to play international football and the world cup? I don't get it.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing you might consider, when England or the US travel to away games they fly on a chartered jet with all first class seats that takes them directly to their destination at a 5 star hotel. When Jamaica flew from Kingston to Columbus they had to take three separate flights out of Kingston, the players all sat coach and they stayed in a 3 star hotel in Columbus. I asked Adrian Mariappa and he told me that he flies coach to and from England for Jamaican games. US players fly first class. This isn't meant to trash the Jamaican FA. They obviously don't have nearly as much money as the US or English FAs, but it's something to consider for these players like Hoilett who have gotten a taste of the Premier league trappings.

3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Or... As previously told, that these players have cold feet. They want to be guaranteed that they will make the World Cup, you couldn't really guarantee that in the last round, seeing as they needed some late magic, but right now is the best chance for these players to join the Reggae Bwoy wagon and I think some of them are realizing this.

4. -WiLL-

-WiLL- Member

Jun 23, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    ok thanks, I hadn't thought of that. It's a shame because I think potentially there are more talented players than in the United States team and surely more than Canada. I can't see Hoilett choosing to play for Canada, I think it's more likely he will play for England. If they could convince one or two top players maybe the rest will follow. Just need a better organised FA because Jamaica can compete in athletics and other sports..

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally don't think Hoilett is particularly excited to play for either team, but the choice between Jamaica and Canada is probably going to be in Jamaica's favor because they treat their players better and have a better team than Canada.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some may feel that way. Of course if they are true competitors, and most are, they'd realize that they can affect that. What they can't really affect is the Jamaican FA's poverty or some of the absurd natures of qualifying in CONCACAF. For British born and raised players, it's a bit of a culture shock to come play in a mud pit like Antigua when they are used to the much more urban and developed island.

7. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JFF is also going to speak with players formerly in the setup but aren't currently involved like Ricardo Fuller and Marlon King. They will also speak privately with Raheem Sterling and Scott Sinclair but are unlikely to sway either away from England.

If the JFF can get any combination of the following:

2 defenders - Candidates: Simpson (RB) Cummings (CB) and Perch (RB/DM)

1 midfielder - Candidates: McAnuff (CM) and Perch (DM)

1 winger - Candidates: Hoilett (LW/SS) Dyer (RW/LW) and McCleary (RW/LW)

2 forwards - Candidates: Hoilett (SS) King (CF) Fuller (CF) Robinson (ST) and Beckford (ST)

They would arguably have a better starting 11 and bench than anyone in CONCACAF not named Mexico or USA if they could pull that off. Which I think they can now that they've made it to the hex. Besides 3 of those 11 have prior involvement (King, Fuller and McAnuff) and another who has shown very strong interest previously (Beckford).

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Beckford has had cold feet.. he said he was gonna join since like 08, and right now you have the question the mans form. King is a BALLA!!!! Dude at his age is still scoring goals like its nuttin.

For players like Scott Sinclair and Raheem Sterling.. you really have to ask them... where do you see a brighter future.. Look at Sturridge and Richards, both Jamaicans, but haven't had any kind of success with the English NT. Raheem was born and bred Jamaican, which is crazy. Plus he's 17.. theres no way he sees an English cap over, Lennon, Walcott, Oxlade whose the future or someone like Ince and Zaha who are also world class future wingers like Oxlade. At Jamaica Raheem could fight for a spot almost immediately. Same for Sinclair.. dude is gonna rot at Man City. You have to be realistic.

So many UB-40s.. I feel they might have missed the boat not trying to get someone like Kyle Bartley or Lewis McGugan who will be long time stallwarts on the team imo.

9. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edit - Cummings is a RB and I know McAnuff is a winger but Jamaica would want him to play centrally as attacking mid from what I've heard.

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Money wasnt the problem in 98. I don't think it'll be the problem now. These players just don't want to waste their time. If you don't qualify against teams like Costa Rica, Guatemala, etc. how do you think a player who played first team ball in the EPL is gonna feel.. like he wasted his time. He has better things to do than play some 3rd world country. At the end of the day.. JFF should pull some real interesting players.

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I don't think they play with wings... I was under the impression they run a 4-2-2-2. with with drawn forwards as wingers.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with money is the team flies coach, stays at mediocre hotels and have old infrastructure. It's an issue for many players.

13. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know but they might if all of Hoilett, Dyer, McCleary and McAnuff came on board and they already have winger types in Richards and Phillips, etc.

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea, but I've seen Richards play as both centrally and then drift off to the wing. We'll see.. it'll definitely make Jamaica more tactically flexible

15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Its not like they're staying there for months.. Its like a one-off thing. They know what they're getting into. Anywho its a culmination of things.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly why many of them don't commit.

17. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor
    Friday, November 23, 2012 THE recruitment of eight foreign-raised players is being viewed as a first step towards their possible inclusion in a Reggae Boyz squad seeking to strengthen its ranks for next year's final round CONCACAF World Cup qualifying tournament.

Following an intense two-week mission to the United Kingdom, led by Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) and included head coach Theodore Whitmore and assistant Alfredo Montesso, seven British-born players and one Germany-based player have given "convincing indications" that they want to wear the colours of their ancestral home.

For those excited by the prospects of more professional players joining the team for the Brazil 2014 campaign, Whitmore warned that getting the players to commit to the cause should not be viewed as automatic selection to the squad.

"As I said before, it's a process. We have to look at what we have and we have confidence in what we have been working with over the last three years...

"It's now down to me and the technical staff to sit and look where some of these players can fit in and how they can help us," he said at a press conference yesterday.

"We have to be careful as we don't want to forget players who have taken us this far," said Whitmore, a former Jamaica standout.

At yesterday's brief session at the JFF offices to give details of the United Kingdom mission, Burrell publicly revealed that the Reading pair of Jobi McAnnuff (31, midfielder) and Garath McCleary (25, forward); Watford's Lloyd Doyley (29, defender); Huddersfield's Jermaine Beckford (28, forward) and James Vaughn (24, forward); Karsruher's (Germany) Daniel Gordon (27, midfielder); Burnley's Marvin Bartley (26, midfielder); Derby County's Theo Robinson (23, forward) have offered themselves for service.

Also, there are moves to confirm 19-year-old West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison for the Under-20 Boyz who are due to have their CONCACAF final play-offs in Puebla, Mexico in February next year.

While Burrell deemed the scouting and fact-finding mission an overall success, there were instances of letdown. The three-man Jamaican delegation also sought to court Queens Parks Rangers winger, 22-year-old David Hoilett; the Newcastle pair of defender/midfielder James Perch, 26, and defender Danny Simpson, 25, and Swansea City winger Nathan Dyer, 24, but were not convinced of their level of "desire and commitment".

"We want players who are prepared to die for the country on the field of play and I've not picked that up with some of these players. I must say I'm particularly disappointed in Hoilett as he keeps saying he wants more time...

"If we qualify for the World Cup he will not be invited as that wouldn't be fair to those who have worked hard in getting the team to Brazil... While I respect his position, we will not be waiting around for anyone," Burrell said.

In the case of Dyer, Burrell said the player's agent told him that "the player will not be available until next simmer, but by that time we will be in Brazil".

"What is happening is that some agents are discouraging the players because they are protecting their interest as they claim Jamaica is too far away and their clients may lose their places in their teams, and that... mitigates against us getting those players," Burrell noted.

For those who have committed, he said the process of acquiring Jamaican passports have begun in some cases and should be completed in time for the first final-round game against Mexico on February 6.

The scouting process, Burrell indicated, will be ongoing in keeping with the JFF's philosophy of having "the best 11 on the pitch at all times".

"Once you qualify as having Jamaican roots and have the desire and commitment, then the door will be open... but... any player invited... must bring something better than what we have here, and that's a pre-condition," he declared.

Burrell said the trip was beneficial for a number of reasons beyond wooing players to the national squad.

"It was a successful trip because we got a chance to interact with the players and, in a lot of cases, we got a chance to see them at work (playing)...

"More so, the technical staff was able to have one-on-one talks with them. We spoke with managers, club officials, agents... so our sojourn... gave knowledge across many important areas of the professional football set-up," he said.

Jamaica will engage the USA, Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica and Honduras in a 30-match home-and-away series for three automatic berths to the World Cup Finals in Brazil. The fourth-placed finisher will face the winner of the Oceana group in a two-way tie for an additional spot.

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Burrell.. cmon.. you tellin tales. You know if Danny Simpson asked for a spot on the ReggaeBwoyz with 4-5 games left to qualify, Horace will say yes in a heartbeat, as would Tappa.

19. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Brazilians booted! - Gama, Bracali casualties of Carib Cup calamity

8 recruits now eligible for Jamaican selection

Friday, January 04, 2013

[​IMG] [​IMG]

IT'S official. Technical Director Walter Gama and goalkeeper coach Armando Bracali have been axed from the technical staff of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) "with immediate effect".
    At a hastily called press conference at the JFF's New Kingston offices yesterday, local football boss Captain Horace Burrell announced the dismissal...............

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Brazilians-booted----Gama--Bracali-casualties-of-Carib-Cup-calamity_13313939#ixzz2H1A0iVkD

20. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    My suspected line up in the Azteca Feb 6.

----------------------Ricketts--------------------------

Doyley/Taylor-------Mariappa-------Nosthworthy-----------Demar

---------------------- Rudi---------------------------

Mccleary------------------------------------------Jobi

---------------------T. Stewart-------------------------

------------theo robinson---------Beckford/Vaughan-------------

21. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Finally

GOALKEEPERS
    Donovan Ricketts
    Dwayne Miller
    Duwayne Kerr

DEFENDERS
    Nyron Nosworthy
    Damion Stewart
    Alvas Powell
    Adrian Mariappa
    Demar Phillips
    Jermaine Taylor? Doyle

MIDFIELDERS
    Jermaine Johnson
    Tremaine Stewart
    Rudolph Austin
    Marvin Elliot
    Jason Morrison?????????????????????????????
    Joel McAnuff
    Jermaine Hue
    Andre Lewis
    Omar Daley

STRIKERS
    Ryan Johnson
    Theo Robinson
    Jermaine Beckford
    Garath McCleary
    Dane Richards Where is Vaughn?

22. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    how many of these guys play in JA?

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Three..

L.A. Lewis, Jermaine Hue, and Alvas Powell

ja2ny and J'can repped this.
  24. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Oo

Also the Under 20s, L.A. and Alvas are going to receive a great learning experience going into the Sub-20 tournament.