The Jamaican National Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by ja2ny, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I hope Jamaica qualify to the big dance at the U-20 level.. lot of interesting players.

2. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What`s Jamaica`s roster vs Mexico?

3. Blue_Demon

Blue_Demon Member+

Aug 20, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hey, way to play organized tonight. We got lucky, no doubt. Good luck the rest of the way.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have won really. Bravo

5. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    UPDATE: Reggae Boyz hold Mexico nil all at the Azteca

By Ian Burnett Sports Editor
    Thursday, February 07, 2013

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mexico City, Mexico – Who would have thought it possible?
    Jamaica, the tiny Caribbean island of just 2.7 million people, went to the Estadio Azteca and battled the North Americans, who boast a population of 115 million, 21.2 of which reside in Mexico City, to a 0-0 in their opening World Cup Qualifying Final Round encounter Wednesday night.

It was a historic result for Jamaica, who have been bombarded 8-0, 2-1, 6-0, 4-0, and 3-0 in five previous World Cup encounters in Mexico City. It leaves Jamaica on one point, the same as Mexico, and two behind Honduras, who lead the six-team group on three points after their 2-1 victory over the United States earlier in the day. Panama and Costa Rica are also on one point, after playing to a 2-2 result in Panama City.
    The Reggae Boyz and those close to the team were hoping for a “One Love” result on Bob Marley’s birthday, but they would be left satisfied after the final result.
    The hosts dominated possession, but Jamaica played their part in the contest, springing numerous chances on the counter attack.
    In fact, the Boyz created the better clear-cut chances in the game, which saw

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/UPDATE---Reggae-Boyz-hold-Mexico-nil-all-at-the-Azteca#ixzz2KH3GhmJB

MetroChile repped this.
  6. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    is Mexico North or Central America???

7. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    North

J'can repped this.
  8. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    great. i have been ignorant on this for the last half a century.

Thanks for the clarification.

9. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Tappa targets Panama as he names 24-man squad BY IAN BURNETT Sport Editor

Saturday, March 09, 2013

THE historic 0-0 result away to Mexico is now history. The huge target is now Panama.

That's the message sent by Reggae Boyz head coach Theodore Whitmore yesterday, fully two weeks ahead of the crucial World Cup Qualifier here at Kingston's National Stadium.

Whitmore was addressing the media at the Jamaica Football Federation's headquarters prior to the announcement of Jamaica's 24-man squad for that engagement, as well as another away game to Costa Rica four days later.

Strikers Luton Shelton and Jermaine Beckford, as well as 30-year-old Watford defender Lloyd Doyley are the three changes effected to this squad, who has been increased by one over the last squad. They replace defender Damion Stewart and midfielder Jason Morrison.

"Our next two games are indeed our focus," Whitmore said. "We will take it one game at a time and do all we can to pick up as many points as we can. Our eyes are now fixed on Panama. It will be very tough, but so is life. We respect every team in the campaign, but we have confidence also in our capacity to achieve," added the two-goal hero from Jamaica's 1998 World Cup Finals 2-1 victory over Japan.

Whitmore noted that the team's focus cannot and should not be on the last game, as....... Cont.@ http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/mobile/sport/Fully-focused_13806096

J'can repped this.
  10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    J'can repped this.
  11. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Hi all. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting tickets to Jamaica v Mexico next month? Am I likely to be able to purchase them a day or so before the game in Kingston?

Thanks.

12. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi everyone, I'm not sure how active this thread is or whatever but I just came here to say a couple things about your country.

I went on a service trip from mid May to early June in downtown Kingston, and stayed at the Immaculate Conception Hostel, you guys may know of this place. During my trip, I was absolutely amazed at your country. The people of Jamaica are so friendly and welcoming, you have something special in your country. As I started meeting more people etc etc, I started talking about the Boyz and the US team, and I'll tell you one thing, it definitely made me really grow a newfound respect for your squad. I would have loved to go to a game at the Office. Unfortunately for me, I left the country on June 4th, and missed the opportunity to attend the Mexico and US games there. All the people I encountered in Jamaica, I promise to take with me for the rest of my life. I hope I can get back sometime in the future, I absolutely loved it, you have an awesome country, I respect the hell out of it.

J'can repped this.
  13. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Reggae Boyz blast five past stuttering St Lucia

Jamaica net biggest goals tally for years

Written by Neil-Monticelli Harley-Rudd
    06/03/2014 10:34 AM

JAMAICA SWEPT aside St Lucia 5-0 at the Beausejour Cricket Ground in Gros Islet on Wednesday, to register back-to-back triumphs for the first time since 2012.

And the Reggae Boyz hit five goals for the first time since overwhelming St Vincent & the Grenadines 5-1 in June 2008.

But the success story was greatly helped by bringing in the English-based quartet of Rodolph Austin (Leeds United), Adrian Mariappa (Crystal Palace), Garath McCleary (Reading) and Wes Morgan (Leicester City) as the Boyz found their rhythm from the start.

Yet it was Michael Seaton, an U17 hotshot for the national side last year, who really caught the eye and made an impact along Darren Mattocks and Deshorn Brown, the two goalscorers against Barbados on Sunday. All three are based in North America.

Seaton was handed his first senior start following his impressive debut as a second half substitute in Barbados and grabbed his inaugural goal for the Boyz.

The 17-year-old forward, born in Spanish Town but as a US resident in Capitol Heights in Maryland has come swiftly through the academy ranks at Major League Soccer side DC United, proved a handful for St Lucia and broke the deadlock on 16 minutes.

And Mattocks, who also plies his trade in the MLS, doubled the lead within 100 seconds of Seaton's strike.

McCleary put the result beyond the minnows when he made it 3-0 on 35 minutes, the tricky Reading winger notching his first goal on the international stage.

Following the turnaround Mattocks, the Vancouver Whitecaps striker from Portmore in Jamaica, bagging his second goal - his third in two friendlies - on 69 minutes that allowed Jamaica head coach Winfried Schaefer to tinker with his side.

Yet the Boyz ran out of steam and were fortunate that substitute Deshorn Brown was quick-footed enough to make it 5-0 with eight minutes left on the clock. The MLS star with Colorado Rapids from the Manchester parish in Jamaica collected his second goal in as many games.

Schaefer returns with his island-based Boyz to Kingston .......cont.

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Don't you bwoys play France, Switzerland, and some other team in Europe soon?

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA says Jamaica will play:
    May 26 vs. Serbia at Red Bull Arena in New Jersey
    May 30 at Switzerland
    June 8 at France

16. TVBIZ

TVBIZ Member

Mar 16, 2004
  17. Official_alex55

May 29, 2014
    SC
    Switzerland v jamaica. 1-0.

18. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    OnlineBuilding the Reggae Boyz, one block at a time
    BY WINFRIED SCHAEFER

Sunday, June 01, 2014

Print this page Email A Friend!

LUZERN, Switzerland — Jamaica's football team coach Winfried Schaefer gestures during the friendly match against Switzerland at the Swissporarena here on Friday . (PHOTO: AFP)

Baseball legend Babe Ruth once said, "Every strike is one step closer to a home run".

I always liked that quote because it points out the quintessence of success in sport, maybe of success in general. You can't expect to grow, to improve and finally be successful without challenging yourself, taking a risk and losing from time to time.

We lost two games against Serbia and Switzerland.

But I'm not sad, not at all. We chose to play these games against two very strong teams because we're now in a development and improvement phase. It would be a waste of time to play against mediocre or even low-level teams just to present you with an easy win.

We want to become a better team, game by game. We are already preparing for the Caribbean Cup and we take that seriously. So this time it wasn't about winning, but about achieving a bunch of individual and specific team successes, important steps, and I'm proud to say that we were able to do that.

So I want to thank the team.

These friendly games weren't official FIFA games, so after a hard and stressful season the players decided to play for their country instead of enjoying holidays.

That's wonderful. It tells us about their patriotism, their ambition and professionalism.

Once again our players prove that we have the base we need to build on for future success.

You can be proud of your team. And of course I thank you, the fans, for your support.

Against Serbia, a team with players in top clubs in Europe, we were a bit nervous in the beginning, but came back in the second half confident and strong. Over time we played even better than Serbia.

Rodolph Austin impressed as a good captain, a leader and role model for professionalism; young Michael Seaton from DC United proved himself as a cold-blooded striker. André Blake, our goalkeeper, made a fantastic game and Philadelphia Union should ask themselves why he isn't number one. All in all, we had a pretty new team — Four local players who fought bravely and two new guys from England who made clear that they want it all.

Against a very good Swiss team, we played even better and I'm very proud, because that made clear what we're able to achieve if we have the time to work together. The team was able to anticipate the strengths and weaknesses of our opponents and reacted in a smart and efficient way. We saw a strategic and tactically very good game and we had more chances to make a goal than the Swiss. We have to focus on holding the ball in front to build up the attack for the final, deadly pass to score, but we're on a very good path.

Again, I was impressed by Blake, our leaders Austin, Wes Morgan and Adrian Mariappa, but in general from the whole team. Every single one did a great job and can be proud. You did well, boys, and you are on a very good and promising way.

Editor's note: Winfried Schaefer is a German national and the head coach of Jamaica's Reggae Boyz.

MetroChile repped this.
  19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to congratulate Jamaica for confirming their spots in both the gold cup and the copa america centenario! should be an exciting next few summers for the Reggae Boys

21. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Four Newcomers For Jamaica's Reggae Boyz Football Squad

Four overseas-based newcomers have been invited by national football coach Winfried Schaefer to join the Reggae Boyz squad for upcoming friendly matches.

Jamaica's national senior men's football team will play friendly international games against Venezuela on March 27 and Cuba two days later, as they prepare for upcoming tournaments.

Both games are scheduled for the Montego Bay Sports Complex in St James, and will kick off at 8 p.m. The friendlies are designed to prepare the national team for the Copa America and Gold Cup tournaments this year.

The players invited are Lewis Grabban, a 27-year-old striker from Norwich City in England; Elliott Bennett, a 26 year-old attacking midfielder also from Norwich City but now on loan at Brighton and Hove Albion in England; Michael Hector, a 22 year-old defender from Reading in England; and Giles Barnes, a 26 year-old attacking midfielder from Houston Dynamo in the Major League Soccer in USA. Barnes also represented England at the Under-19 level.

Friendly Matches

"The next FIFA period will take place in March and Jamaica are scheduled to play friendly matches against South American team Venezuela and Caribbean team Cuba on March 27 and 29, respectively, at the Montego Bay Sports Complex," President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Captain Horace Burrell announced at a press conference at the JFF's offices in New Kingston yesterday.

"The games will be played in Western Jamaica because the National Stadium is not available due to the staging of the Boys and Girls' Athletics Championships," Burrell explained. "The teams will be at full strength, as it will be FIFA dates," the JFF boss emphasised as he pleaded with fans to come out and support the games.

Coach Winfried Schaefer was elated about the friendly matches ahead of the tournaments.

"I am happy about the two matches in preparation for the Copa America, Gold Cup and the World Cup qualifiers that begin in August," Schaefer said.

"We want to test the quality of the players in England and the MLS. We watched many matches and talked to the players. I was happy about meeting with the players. I want to field good teams. The aim is to win these tournaments and to build a new team for the World Cup qualifiers. The players want more success after winning the Caribbean Cup last year," the German pointed out. Schaefer was accompanied on his scouting trip overseas by Burrell and team manager Roy Simpson.

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    No James Puncheon?

23. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Jamaica llegó a Antofagasta durante el fin de semana (fue la 1a selección en llegar a Chile para jugar la Copa América).

Partido amistoso (martes 9 en Antofagasta):

Cobreloa(Chile) vs Jamaica

24. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are the first Caribbean nation ever to make it into the Gold Cup Final!!!

MetroChile and Blue_Demon repped this.
  25. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Jamaica. Absolutely loved your country when I visited Kingston a couple of years ago.

Blue_Demon repped this.