The irony of Micheal Owen's european hopes

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by reelmaad, May 1, 2007.

1. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    It's not like he has a long history of injury up until last summer. He had surgery and he says he's stronger than ever. Again, even if he does break down, Chelsea can afford it, they can bring Sheva off of the bench.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it's not?

3. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Well I wouldnt really call the hamstring thing a history of injury, he wasnt out for long and came back stronger than ever(Ballon d'or!). And there was like a 6 or 7 year gap between that and his foot injury his first season with Newcastle. You can't view those things as connected. And the foot thing had nothing to do with the knee injury. To my knowledge his foot is fine now. He doesnt have persistant problems with a certain part of his body that keeps giving out was the point I was trying to make. He's just a little unlucky.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    fair enough. i don't mean to come off quarrelsome about owen - whom i rate. but i have to be honest, much as i like him, i don't think i'd be terribly excited if my club were to shell out big money for him.

and for that very reason: hamstring, knee, foot, whatever - if we can say, based on history, that owen's going to score goals, we can also say, based on the past, that he's going to score fewer than his talent suggests, because he's going to be spending more than his share of time on the treatment table.

then again, as you said, we're talking about chelsea, and if 'my club' were (God forbid!) the blues, i guess i wouldn't be worried about value for the dollar (ok, pound) that much, after all.