The irony of Micheal Owen's european hopes

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by reelmaad, May 1, 2007.

1. reelmaad

reelmaad New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    O the irony of it all :D

Micheal Owen left Liverpool because he wanted to win some CL titles.:D

This year liverpool could win their second CL title since Owen's left them......Owen is now at a team that doesn't even participate in the CL.:D

2. Kukilon

Kukilon Member

Nov 22, 2005
    That is what you get for having no heart.

3. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I noticed that a long while back, as I'm sure have many others.

He then went to Newcastle, so that he could get enough first-team action to make the World Cup squad, broke his foot in a challenge with the England keeper, then ruptures his crucuate ligament in the first minute of his first game back, against Sweden, in the World Cup.

To win a tournament, like the World Cup, you need skill, determination, fitness, good tactics, and luck. Owen and England's luck ran out in 2006. I'm not saying we would have won the World Cup had Owen not been injured. I'm just saying that many England fans knew in their heart of hearts that Owen's injury was the blow that led many to lose belief in an England victory.

Revelian

4. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    I see the irony.

:D

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Don't forget that Rooney also broke his foot prior to the finals. England winning the thing was always a long shot, but without those two fit and scoring goals, it really was a hopeless cause.

6. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Owen is unlucky. In 2004, no-one in their wildest dreams could predict Liverpool getting anywhere near the European Cup. He went to a team which wouldn't play him because he's not Brazilian, then he had two terrible injuries.

7. reelmaad

reelmaad New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Funny how it was exactly after Owen left it happen :D

I wouldn't have play him over the brazilian either.....for the simple reason that brazilian had a better goal per minute strike-rate than him.
    Brazilian.......goals in the low 20s.....
    Spaniard.......less than 10.....
    The Brit..........goals in the low teens.....he had 20 or so starts

oooo tough choice.

if anything him not playing had more to do with him not being spaniard than brazilian.

And lets not forget that the other Brit on the team started just about every game.

8. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    you sure that was the reason?

9. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    lol. And because he got greedy.

Why do English fans always complain that Rooney, Gascoigne, Owen, Lineker, etc. are not getting the recognition that Pele, Zico, Ronaldo, and Ronaldinho get just because they "aren't Brazilian?"

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Owen's injury before th start of WC Finals was the bigger blow. England's offense was not doing anything even before the Swedish match.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Owen had the highest goals per minute ratio. Despite that he was never given a fair chance.

12. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very true.

Revelian

13. punkman

punkman New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    owen is a great player but I think he not better than the "young" owen

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Indeed, but you have to wonder why he went there in the first place when it was pretty obvious that Raul and Ronaldo were going to be ahead of him in the pecking order come what may. Seems to me Owen may two ill-advised transfers, both to Real in the first place and then, desperate for action prior to the WC, to a dysfunctional Newcastle United.

15. reelmaad

reelmaad New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Bull.......he had the highest goal per minute......UNTIL....he began to start games regularly at the end of the season....infact he started in 12 of the last 14 games he played at RM......scoring 5 of his 13 goals
    The more games he started the worst it got.....i guess thats one of the benefits of being a supersub....read em and weep.

R99......32 starts/2 subs......21 goals/2788 mintues.....a goal every 133 minutes

Owen....20 starts/16 subs........13 goals/1868 mintues.....a goal every 144 minutes

Raul..........31 starts/1 subs..........9 goals/2570 mintues..........a goal every 286 minutes

16. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree. Probably some money-grubbing whore of an agent.

Revelian

17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The goal raito was just a number that did not say much about performance. Owen was invisible when he started. Morientes was the one who should be complainting.

18. cooca

cooca New Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Yeah the irony. It has been noticed long time ago. He's one hell of a bad luck.

19. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Michael Owen: The reason for Real Madrid's failings over the last 5 years.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    that's letting beckham off a bit easy, isn't it?

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Oooh-goochicoo Onyewu at the back, Newcastle will definitely win the champions league.

Mmm.. maybe not next season, but the season after.

:D

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyhoo... being serious here... I don't really feel sorry for Owen. He knew EXACTLY what he was getting into at Real Madrid. They had Raul and Morientes - two linpins in both Real Madrid, and the Spanish national team... the former even being the captain. And they had Ronaldo ... possible the best player of his generation to compete with. Regardless of their form, these players, especially Ronaldo - were never going to be pushed down the pecking order. Owen should have selected his next club more wisely. Instead, he went for a team that already had three established world class strikers on their books. They brought Owen in to sell shirts, and increase their squad depth - but not to be a key first team player.

If they had wanted him, Arsenal or Manchester United would have been better fits for Owen. Even Alan Shearer failed to win anything at Newcastle

23. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'd be interested to see the "true" number of playing minutes in relation to their goals.. Anyways, he is back to the league where he belongs...

24. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    I seriously dont know why Chelsea doesnt pick him up. They've got the money and they can hold on to Shevchenko for another year as a contingency plan. He's only 27 for christ sake, and you know that if he's healthy he will score goals.

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    but, then, you also know that he won't be healthy.