The iPhone Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dark knight, Jun 5, 2007.

1. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    i just got my iphone a couple of hours ago and was wondering, Why are the non-checked off songs on my itunes going on to my iphone.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maddox does have a point. "Screen turns into a smudgy piece of shit after a few minutes of use:" How many times have we heard something like "Don't touch the monitor or else it'll smuge." Using that logic, wouldn't the iPhone become smudged up after just a few days of use?

The No-key-uh's full keyboard does look like it's easier to use. Hold the left side with your left hand, the right side with your right hand and type away. If you do really need 9 keystrokes to type (...), that seems a bit too much for my tastes.

But it's Apple's first attempt and first attempts are usually far from perfect.

3. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL. Funny shit!

5. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    ok, I am finally taking the plunge into the world of PDA phones and would appreciate a recommendation (sorry this is a bit off-topic).

I need it for my business which = a need for good web browsing, viewing PDFs, access to email (although my firm email is completely web-based so I would think good web browsing capabilities would handle that by itself, right?), and syncing with Microsoft Outlook.

I would prefer a phone without a camera, but that's not my top priority. My firm email is also hosted by Microsoft, BTW.

Again, sorry to get away from the iPhone specific posts, but trying to pick a phone is turning my mind to mush and I need some advice from someone who is not trying to sell the damn thing to me.

6. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    First, we need to know what cell service providers are in your area.

Second, according to consumer reports, their recommend smart phones:

• Palm Treo 680
    • Palm Treo 700P
    • T-Mobile MDA
    • BlackBerry Pearl
    • Samsung Blackjack
    FWIW, they prefer Sprint and then TMobile for smart phone data services plans.

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm not sure the iphone synchs with Outlook does it? So I won't be trying to sell it to you - I don't think it's the best for business phone - although it might be the best browser available - it's more of a personal email/fun gadget thing I think. Many companies may not support it for work email because of security concerns or something.

8. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks for the advice. I have a Sprint plan already, and they are throwing all sorts of bones at me to re-up a 2 yr contract (I'm on month to month now), so that looks like the way to go (at least re: the data plan rating).

I did have a chance to mess with an iPhone the other day (my wife's cousin brought his by) and I admit I thought it was a brilliant machine. The resolution of the screen and the ease of manipulating it by touch were honestly remarkable. I also really enjoyed the photo cropping feature, which was more intuitive and user-friendly than my adobe pc software.

9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Do you have to re-up? I'd hold off if you can - I regret being stuck in a 2 year plan.

10. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    No, I don't have to re-up. My initial contract was two years and it converted to a month to month at the end of the initial period. Sprint keeps sending me offers to get back into a contract, offering me x discount or y benefit if I agree to another two year deal.

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree. Being in a 2 yr plan sucks. My only incentive paying a cheaper price for a phone. Though, now companies are going the route of rebates. Before, it was "instant savings". Now, it's instant savings AND rebate.

Anywho...I agree with DK. If you can afford a smart phone at full rate, go for it. If not, try to see if you can get a one-year contract with a lower price on the phone.

I.-When you say your business, you mean your own business not working for a corp, right? You may also try to see if you can get a bidness discount or some sort of special for your bidness. :D

12. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant to respond to you sooner. Sorry.

When your iPhone is connected to iTunes, be sure to check the "only sync checked items" box. That should do the trick.

13. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    thanks. don't know how i could of missed that, must of been too excited.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    We're waiting for your review MI - how do you like it so far?

15. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's amazing. I'm not going to get into the pricing issue, it is what it is

+ At first typing was a bit of an issue but after a while it's fine.
    + So far out of all my old cell phones this has the best battery life by far.
    + Loads youtube and internet at very fast speeds
    + Google maps and earth (very cool)
    + Great picture quality
    + Syns with Itunes effortlessly
    + Makes/receives calls very well

- Can't change the ringtones for text or voicemail.
    - Ringtone could be lounder

Overall just a fantastic product with so many features.

16. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur with your review. (That's obvious given my earlier comments.) Apple really nailed this phone considering that it's first gen. It sounds goofy, but I sort of look forward to my next call, SMS, or email on this phone. It's really fun to use. And the mapping and directions have really come in handy several times lately.

I've found that the battery life actually improves as you break in the phone. (Of course, it helps to turn on wi-fi only when you intend to connect to a wireless network.)

I use the crickets ringtone on about two-thirds volume level. I find that it's plenty loud enough without being too obnoxious.

17. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    I am glad you like it, just keep in mind many phones do the things you mentioned above.

And more news:
    http://vsiphone.blogspot.com/2007/07/iphone-has-built-in-spyware-module.html

18. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of phones may do those things, but they don't do them as easily as the iPhone.

Anecdote: my wife has a phone, I think it's a RAZR. Sometimes our toddler gets a hold of it, and somehow, he puts it in speakerphone mode. I don't know which button does that, but when he does that, my wife and I both fiddle with it to try to get the speakerphone turned off. We can't figure it out. It's not intuitive. So we have to turn the phone off and on again to make it useful.

I don't have an iPhone, but I bet that if it gets put in speakerphone mode (if it even has that feature), it would be very easy to turn the speakerphone off.

So are we supposed to carry the manual around for the other phone so we can figure out how to turn the speakerphone off?

I'm sure you're laughing right now at how technologically incompetent we are. You probably think our VCRs all blink 12:00 in unison. Well, there are a lot more people like us, who want something that is easy to use, than technoids who want all the features.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

This in a nutshell captures how so many folks are completely missing the point. It's not what it does, it's how it does it - and it's why the Ipod has outsold players with better quality sound at a cheaper price.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    A year ago Apple stock was around $60. It's at $143 today - seems a little ridiculous, but wish I had bought a bunch of stock a year ago....

21. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    No I do get it, I was just pointing that out. Ipod owners seem to think only the Ipod does those things.

And the "it" that you want me to get is that people will buy things that say Apple on it, even if it's an inferior product. People want to be stylish. The Iphone seems like a cool product, but the style and cool factor has alot to do with why it's sold 3 billion units.

I know a guy who works at the apple store near me and he says he tells people not to get the mac mini and get an Imac instead for a little more money and people buy the mac mini instead because it looks cooler.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    And really - there's nothing wrong with that is there? It's why flat screens with worse picture outsell massive alternatives.

OTOH - the Mac Cube - or whatever it was called looked pretty cool but flopped massively, so it's not all about vanity.

And maybe I'm giving people way too much credit - but all things being more or less equal, I'll more likely choose the sleeker option, apparently even if it costs more (I paid a lot more for a PowerBook in part because the aluminum was so much cooler than the cheaper, white iBooks) but i could care less what others think about it. I'm not buying it for vanity/status/style points - folks just like their tech toys to look sleek/cool.

And I bet the iphone owners posting in this thread didn't buy an iPhone because it was hip, they did it because the phone is genuinely cooler (to use) than the competition.

23. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your link (to an unsourced blog entry of course) uses the "question mark" method of journalism. Stick a ? at the end of the article title and you can say anything you like even though it often ends of being utter nonsense at worse or out of context at best.

Isn't your "I am glad you like it" preface just a way to condescend? Honestly, you probably don't give a crap if he likes his phone or not. Just let each of us stick the whatever works for us. It's not a big deal.

P.S. And you're linking to a blog called "Versus iPhone"? Are our lives that empty that we must cynically bitch about everything. How about this? Just don't buy an iPhone.

24. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

Another reason to not like the Iphone.....the people who own one are really sensitive :D

25. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    IMHO, it sounds like a preference of style over substance (not that there's anything wrong with that). Maybe competitors should hire some better designers to come up with nifty UI's like Apple does.