The iPhone Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dark knight, Jun 5, 2007.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    To me they are all bad in their own way. It's like trying to find an good cable company.

2. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  3. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Dude. Is just for futher reading. Don't worry. Your stock at Apple is fine. Ok?:rolleyes:

4. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm not worried about my stock thanks - but that article says the same thing that everyone knows and keeps repeating - I just think it's a little silly that all these articles talk about the price. Does she think people are going to buy it without knowing the price?

I also think it's a little silly when folks try to opine about whether it's worth it or not if they haven't used one or even seen one in person.

I myself am not sure I can afford it - so not sure why you are rolling your eyes at me.

5. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    At:

When all I am doing is just posting more thoughts based on your OP:

All ya get for the most part right now are reviews on a phone that has not been out in the market. Nevertheless, the piece I posted might give you some -cons for why to wait or not buy the phone.

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Fair enough - I did ask for that! :)

I really doubt I can get one anyway since there's no way I'm standing in long lines or camping out.

It will be interesting to see what the consumer reaction is once it's been out a week.

7. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

And to tell ya the truth, as I had state before, if it wasn't for the price and the 2 yr contract (w/o decrease in sales price), I might consider the phone. But. Even. Then. I would wait out just long enough to get the kinks out of the phone.

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  9. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    AH! That is better.

AND

How much does the 3G pull speed wise?

10. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the camp of those who will wait until the hype dies down to buy. On the other hand, anything that will give you a reason to keep putting up your avatars is good by me!!! ;)

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  12. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    But the main question is...will u respect my avatar in the morning? :D

13. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    5X that depending on certain factors.

By the way, Sprint has a phone called "the mogul" out now which can do most of the things the Iphone can do and a bunch of stuff it can't do.

Here's the best part. You can sign up for their SERO plan.

The cheapest Sero plan is $30 a month. For $30 a month you get: 500 minutes, Unlimited N+W minutes starting at 7pm, unlimited text messaging, Unlimited Data, the NFL TV Network streaming on your phone.

Sprint kicks At&t's ass on data speeds as well.

But Dark Knight isn't bothered, he needs something that says 'apple' on it. :eek:

14. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutamente. Just...no names, please :cool:

15. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    At&t is the 2nd most evilest (as Ali G would say) company out there.

Verizon is number 1 most evilest and I'll tell you why if you want to know.

At&t is the nickel and dime company. They used to sell TDMA phones (outdated technology they replaced with GSM). Alot of people still have TDMA phones and they were selling them as of 2003. Well now they don't want to support TDMA even though they sold it to customers and they are charging all TDMA users $5 a month extra on their bill for using a service that At$t (cingular) sold them and works fine.

At&t has the most expensive data packages out there. They are cheaper now than what they used to be but they are still the most expensive. T-Mobile costs $5.99 per month for unlimited Data but they don't have 3g. At&t has a very limited 3g service (in major cities you'll be fine) and they charge $19.99 a month for unlimited data ($39.99 a month if you plan to tether a laptop to your phone). Sprint has a much wider and faster 3g network and they charge $15 a month for unlimited and give you a bunch of tv channels with it (at&t does give you some lame video clips but it does include MLS highlights).

At&t only let's you upgrade your phone after 2 years and after they deem you "profitable". Yep, if you're on a low level plan and you don't use many features, you won't be getting a free phone after 2 years or a discount. T-Mobile gives you all sorts of free stuff after 1 year and they don't care what plan you're on.

anyway=at$t is eviler than sprint and t-mobile but not as eviler as verizon.

these new Iphone plans are economic rape if you ask me. I never want to hear Apple people complain about Microsoft greed ever again.

16. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Go for it! :D Why is Verizon Doktor Evil?

17. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Well this is an apple/at&t thread so I didn't want to go off topic but for one thing verizon offers "unlimited data" but if you use too much bandwith they cut you off. To verizon, unlimited has a limit. Also if you get their laptop connect card they tell you flat out not to watch streaming video. Sprint encourages you to watch streaming video on your laptop, sprint even points you to where to watch. Not Verizon. They restrict it. Verizon also "cripples" their phones and cuts out features. For instance on many verizon phones you can not transfer mp3's from your computer to your phone, you have to buy them directly from verizon's music store. Verizon is a completely unethical company in my opinion.

my reviews:

t-mobile
    pros: most consumer friendly company, excellent customer service, great prices

cons: smallest coverage area of the 4 big companies, no high tech data network (no 3g)

sprint

pros: best data network and features (including pay per view movies on your phone!), cheapest prices if you know how to get their unadvertised SERO plan, lots of high tech phones from S. Korea! Coming out with Wimax for sprint users, which is wi-fi on steroids.

cons: it will take you 20 minutes on hold to speak to a customer service rep. mediocre coverage of the US

At&t
    pros: strong network on the 850mhz band, 3g in most major cities, cool phones including world phones that you can take to Europe with you

cons: prices are too high, some shady policies

verizon
    pros: strong network on the 850mhz band, I think they have the biggest 3g coverage in the U.S.

cons: cripple their phones, extremely shady policies, high prices, worst rated customer serivce as they are reputed to be extrememly rude on the phone (I can link to a really funny argument a guy recorded while debating with verizon if you want). Overall the shadiest company in America in my opinion.

18. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  19. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
  20. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When's this thing suppose to come out? I was walking by my local Apple store and there are people camped out in line!

21. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    I think 6pm tonight

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Now, now, don't troll - you can give the iphone any credit for being innovative?

23. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    I'm not trolling, I am repeating what you've been stating.

Yes there are some innovations in the Iphone. However it is not the most innovative phone and the price is ridiculous, as are the plans....and the lack of some basic features. The screen, the menus/interface and the voicemail system does seem interesting.

24. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well I don't just want it for the apple label. :)

Why is the price ridiculous? Palm/Organizer phones often cost $4 and $500 - the Samsung IP830W lists for $650 and it doesn't have wifi, it runs on Windows Mobile, and it just ain't as cool.

It may not be the most innovative phone for features, but it's up there for interface.