Pre-match: The inevitable war with Iran

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Q*bert Jones III, Jun 21, 2019.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe sooner. As the article says, 2027 is the target date, but prototype production is to be speeded for deployment to Ukraine, on the basis that the Ukrainians need something that's usable now even if it's not 100% ready.

The benefits in field-testing and working out the bugs before launching production are obvious.

superdave repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    they need the live video link for bombing and FPV

there is work on unguided for the final metres but for meaningful target acquisition you currently need the drone operator to be able to see and fly live.

mebeSajid repped this.
  3. Jordanian king Abdullah II has put himself in a dangerous position by helping to shoot down the Iranian drones.

4. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure? I ask because Jordan ain’t Syria.

I once briefly dated a woman who said she was “Palestinian-Jordanian.” Her family had fled to Jordan but then they had to leave there too. I don’t think there are any Palestinian camps in Jordan anymore and that’s been the case for decades. (I think; apologies if I’m wrong.)

PJ234 repped this.
  5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #3030 Iranian Monitor, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    My analysis (see below) shows the actual interception rate against the MRBMs to have been between a low of less than 15% to no more than 85%. The latter very unlikely.

The US/Israel claimed 110 ballistic missiles had been fired, of which half had malfunctioned, leaving 55 to be intercepted. A majority of these 55 missiles were Shahab 3 (went into service in 2003 ) and Emad (2015) MRBMs with strong indications that perhaps a dozen Kheibar Shekan missiles (2022) were also used. Israel has not given any information on how many MRBMs were intercepted by the IDF except showing remnants of one single Emad missile that had been shot down. US and all the rest (UK, France, plus several Arab states) shot down 6 such missiles. Until Israel releases figures on how many ballistic missiles it claims to have intercepted, anywhere between a minimum of 9 of 55 to a maximum of 48 of 55 MRBMs fired hit their targets (e.g. Nevatim air base, another air base, possibly a radar and intelligence base called site 51 in the Negev, and a base in the Golan etc). At best, the interception rate by Israel and the US led coalition against MRBMs was 85% and at worst less than 15%.

If you ignore the propaganda and bogus math, some of this you can glean even from the analysis by the pro Israel Foundation for Defense of Democracies:
    https://www.fdd.org/analysis/2024/04/16/what-we-can-learn-from-irans-attack-on-israel/
    April 16, 2024 | Insight
    What We Can Learn From Iran’s Attack on Israel

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No-one cares.

roadkit repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There are 10 of them.

However, since Jordan gives Palestinians descended from 48-49 and West Bank Palestinians citizenship, people can work and many have left for suburbs if they are successful in whatever field.

This recent documentary (2024) gives a flavour of the situation.
    https://www.france24.com/en/tv-show...ns-of-zarqa-three-generations-after-the-nakba

edcalvi, Mike03, superdave and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A former middle-east reporter just tweeted "oh no it's happening, Israel has attached a military base in Iran" but I've not seen anything in the media.

9. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
  10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Hope it's false flag.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted on the wrong thread, but like I said there, Israel should just have left it how it was with Iran.

Quakes05 repped this.
  12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Very worrying. Iran will have legal right under Article 51 of the UN Charter to retaliate, expect them to hit hard next time and Israel will retaliate. Sad to say but the war between those 2 has begun.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did we veto the UN resolution?

It's Obvious that we can't control Netanyahu

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your politicians sold out to them long ago....

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt it, Contrary to what people look like you believe, the Jews don't control the world.

But it is time for Biden to pussyup and tell Israel to fvck off, we are not in this escalation.

16. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    So what happens to the middle east when I wake up in the morning?

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They don't need to control the world nor do I believe they do - they just buy the right politicians.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Random guess is they targeted some drone site .

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    False flag ? You think Iran is doing this ?

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some claims are that they targeted sites near nuclear facilities, also bombed locations in Iraq and Syria.

We did not know about it (according to "sources")

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Just that it was something else.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I thought Israel didn't have any missiles capable of reaching Iran?

23. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bad, bad move Israel. ********. I don't think Iran were bluffing. Fully expect them to hit back twice as hard this time.

24. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think it's 80/20 the US get dragged into this with direct intervention.

25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Israel does have a very limited (>40) number of MRBMs (Jericho 3) with the range to hit Iran, but most of those are believed to carry nuclear weapons. There is no indication this 'show of force' involved those missiles. For now, Iran is reporting several drones (3) being shot down over Isfahan with eyewitnesses reporting hearing some loud noises, which can either be from air defense systems or small missiles fired from drones. The target appears to have an airbase housing Iranian fighter aircraft including F14s. There appear to be more serious attacks against targets in Syria and Iraq.

Unlike Israel, there are no restrictions on satellite imagery over Iran, the international media will spin the story in a way that fits the propaganda in mind, and Iranian "dissidents" can freely film things and feed fact or fiction as required by the spin. I await to hear what Israel has to say as the US is the side running with these stories for now. Israeli acknowledgment and declaration of intent will be significant in deciding the nature of Iran's response IMO.

26. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran