The Impeachment Pool

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

On what day (of the month of which year) does the U.S. House of Representatives vote - on the floor

1. On or Before January 20, 2018

8.7%
  2. On or Before January 20, 2019

23.9%
  3. On or Before January 20, 2020

10.9%
  4. On or Before January 20, 2021

7.6%
  5. None of the Above - Donald Trump finishes out one or two terms of office

48.9%
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume Stone's lawyers would appeal (they would regardless) and with DOJ lawyers that do not want to enforce this, it would be an easy appeal to win.

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    thanks. After I asked the question I actually read the opinion and learned it was a pretty dumb question

3. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    What I really don’t understand is how a criminal trial interferes with his Article II duties but a civil or impeachment trial doesn’t. Or is it the outcome of conviction? Is the question whether you can jail a sitting president?

4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Given that stone repeatedly pissed off the judge I can’t imagine she’s going to be particularly lenient. She even suggested holding a contempt hearing after the trial was over.

xtomx repped this.
  5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey

I touched on this earlier in this thread... but it appears to me his only options to avoid dying in jail are to win in November or resign and get a pardon from Pence. On the second opinion- at this point what would be in it for Pence?

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, the ol’ impeachment where the prez comes out stronger than ever.
    What would be in it for Pence? Maybe not getting torn limb from limb by MAGA faithful

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it would not. The standard of review on sentencing is highly deferential as long as the sentence is within the proper range. DOJ lawyers could argue that trial judge was wrong but if the sentence was within the range, that argument would be frivolous.

The Jitty Slitter, superdave and ceezmad repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not how it works tho. They would have to show that the trial judge did something wrong or improper to even get in the door. The only time the DOJ lawyers need to get involved is if it actually made it to a hearing.

Take the judge that gave the kid a super light sentence after his rape conviction because he came from a "good family", was a "good kid", and would "have his life destroyed" by a strong sentence.. That one fell outside the bounds of the norms for sentencing, so an appeal was warranted. However, in this case, if the judge isn't heavy handed and follows proper procedures, there isn't much to appeal.

ceezmad repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Any idea what he might get? Short of "eternity" would disappoint me. But 3-5 maybe?

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If the appeals panel is a majority Trumpican, what stops them from simply ignoring what they’re supposed to do?

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't say without looking at the sentencing guidelines applicable to the crimes for which he was convicted. I'd say that whatever the initial recommendation was (from the now-withdrawn AUSAttys) would be a good guess.

xtomx, chaski and taosjohn repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Pundits think all these presidential & DOJ shenanigans could anger the judge at sentencing. The govt is likely going to have some 'splainin to do.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5488 yossarian, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    In a worst case scenario, sure, nothing. But speaking from experience, appellate court judges are really really hesitant to reverse a sentence that is within the lawful sentencing range.

Edit: I'll add that currently, there are only two Trump appointees on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, which is where any appeal of Stone's sentence would go. And, IMHO, only one of them could be considered a true Trump lackey.

xtomx repped this.
  14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will almost assuredly have some explaining to do, but her attention will be pointed at the new DOJ lawyers, not Stone. They will need to properly explain why he shouldn't be punished for a charge he was convicted on and for violating his gag order (particularly the nature of the violation). The most likely outcome of her attention is that she would ignore the DOJ's new sentencing recommendation and come up with a sentence on her own, it won't be to additionally punish Stone.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If I had a nickel for every time Donald Trump should be figuratively or literally nailed to a wall and wasn't, I'd be as rich as Donald Trump.

ElNaranja and dapip repped this.
  16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to not only have survived impeachment process but thrived.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It might be time to defund this criminal regime

18. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    This makes me feel better although worst case scenario seems to have kicked us in the balls quite a few times in recent years

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No, it would not be an "easy appeal," since sentencing is within the authority of the judge.

yossarian repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's not saying too much.
    I doubt he is very "rich" at this point.

Now, rich as Tom Steyer or Michael Bloomberg, now you're talking.

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before he started his 2016 campaign, I'd agree. He's amassed quite a bit since then :cool:

Dr. Wankler, xtomx and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. That's why I snuck a peak at the D.C. Circuit lineup to see the number of Trump toadies there.

chaski, taosjohn and fatbastard repped this.
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed this earlier. All of those scenarios certainly would interfere, although impeachment is written into the Constitution so the response to that sort of interference is "too bad." But yeah, one of the reasons some legal scholars are skeptical as to the logic supporting the OLC memo is that more recently with the Clinton scandal, the Supreme Court was fine to let depositions, etc., go forward. Some scholars do think, as you surmise, that perhaps the real issue is conviction.

Clinton's former Solicitor General Walter Dellinger wrote a decent summary pertaining to all of this nearly two years ago.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/indicting-president-not-foreclosed-complex-history

The Jitty Slitter and taosjohn repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Barr "gets mad" about Trump tweets

ABC falls for it

Seriously ....

dapip and xtomx repped this.
  25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBF, Barr just wants Trump to stop tweeting about cases when Trump can just call Barr up and tell him what to do. Barr is perfectly willing to do what the Trump wants, it is just that tweets are far too public and make it hard for Barr to do Trump's bidding.

ElNaranja, dapip and soccernutter repped this.