The Impeachment Pool

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

On what day (of the month of which year) does the U.S. House of Representatives vote - on the floor

1. On or Before January 20, 2018

8.7%
  2. On or Before January 20, 2019

23.9%
  3. On or Before January 20, 2020

10.9%
  4. On or Before January 20, 2021

7.6%
  5. None of the Above - Donald Trump finishes out one or two terms of office

48.9%
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3451 stanger, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Look through the questions. I didn’t see the Lincoln question. Am I missing it?

Edit: Just found it. That is surprising, although I would be surprised if anyone other than true believers would sit through a poll that long.

Surprising, also exposing a lack of education on those that expressed the affirmative.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Making Love (Out Of Nothing At All) is a good tune.

So good in fact, that it took me less than two minutes first hearing it on the radio not just to realize that it wasn't their composition, but to identify it as Jim Steinman's...

russ repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Polling for delusional thinking?

The standard top 3 is FDR, Washington and Lincoln.

dapip repped this.
  4. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    A majority of Republicans.

dapip and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. People that identify as Republicans at this point are probably not the smartest bunch.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  6. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    yeah, and the internet certainly hadn’t helped in that realm.
    They have their affairs in order...

chaski, Auriaprottu and Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So Stanger - this brings us back to these dullards electing people who express their feelings and values (but mostly feelings) and you expect the more reality-based party to find common ground with them right now? I just don't see it. It's cult-like thinking we're dealing with.

dapip repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I cannot rep this post...

He did a bunch of songs for Meat Loaf, none of which I care much for, but one (2/3 ain't bad) I grew up hearing.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are right, although I think maybe I'd be more okay with it if the president had a consensual affair with a more mature woman, and one who is also somewhat in a position of power herself. I mean, let's say we find out that Clinton had an affair with Madonna. Not commendable behavior, but it would be easier to say, whatever, he's human, we all have weaknesses. But a young intern...

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ugh!

Q*bert Jones III and Moishe repped this.
  11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Okay. Also religious insecurity and, if we must spell it out, racial insecurity. What if, God forbid, we lose our privileges?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    and yet it has to, if the nation’s democratic institutions are to survive.

dapip repped this.
  13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Everybody knew about Kennedy. Even as kids in elementary school in Argentina we made fun of his sexual prowess. And that was after he was already dead.

But yeah, it’s true that other countries are more permissive in that area, and not just when it comes to presidents and prime ministers, but in offices large and small. Do you know what an ideal secretary looks like in Argentina? Not the same as one in the US.

Attitudes are slowly changing for the better, though.

Moishe and Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm really surprised that the issue of bipartisanship is even being brought up here when 1) there's enough difference within one of the two major parties to more than qualify as multipartisanship, 2) the other major party is nearly completely of one accord when it comes to race, gender, police brutality, recreational substance use, abortion, multilingualism, multiculturalism in education, yada... and that 3) everybody who hasn't sided with the former is demonstrating their unwillingness to pause on their own agenda long enough to save a few lives and maybe gain a few supporters.

Bipartisanship happens every time a Dem votes for increased military spending, teacher-led prayer in schools, or stands before either legislative body talking about abortion from a defensive stance.

There's plenty of folks who don't agree on everything working together (they just all seem to be Dems). Or, the shit both parties can agree on (like a school bus stopping at every RR xing) is too trivial to mention.

dapip repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Other stuff: I'd like to see this country come to some sort of agreement about the age of consent and how it applies to our daily discourse in places like this. If she's young enough for someone to refer to her like she's prey or something, she's too young to be ********ing legally. If there's an age difference that we're going to feel uncomfortable about, then we need to try to address that, possibly with an older AoC.

Is anyone here up for a discussion about raising the age of consent to, say, 25, or allowing no age difference greater than, say, ten years between consenting participants who are over the age of consent in a given state? Or making it illegal for an elected official to have sex with someone more than five years his/her junior? Because this is not a question that should ever have been asked of a man by another man. That was a Sumter-Brooks moment if ever there was one. No problem with Clinton or any other man --including Trump-- lying under oath in response to such a question. Oath just hasn't been that deep here, ever.

I sorta get the power issue wrt Lewinsky. lol, this poor woman was so traumatized by the ordeal that she saved her worn, cum-stained dress as a memento... or as evidence.

16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #3466 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    That was down to GOP voters in the primaries who decided Trump was the best candidate, and weak gate keeping from wonderful people like Reince.

Meanwhile I waded through 5 pages of Clinton whataboutism in the Trump impeachment thread

Pønch, xtomx, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Meat Loaf is really Jim Steinman's voice-- he wasn't much of anything before they met, and he wasn't much of anything in the periods when they were estranged. He did manage to record a killer version of "Promised Land," but I suspect that had as much to do with Mark Doyle, his guitarist of choice if Rundgren's not available,as him. And in those periods-- usually caused by Loaf spending all their money-- Jim kept afloat by producing people like Bonnie Tyler and Air Supply-- and making bunches of money for them in the process.

"Bat Out Of Hell" is an album that 14 year olds bought without really getting all that was in there; they knew it was cool, but not how cool. People are going to be finding it in their attics, putting it on, and being astonished at how much they missed in it for years to come.

But it is very white and privileged or rather satirizes privilege rather mercilessly, even as it sympathizes with teen age damage and its persistent effects. And it makes quite the difference if you are a child of the Spector era; Steinman is all about walls of sound.

russ and Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3468 charlie15, Dec 2, 2019
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #3469 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 2, 2019
    There is a feeling on anorak twitter that Trump has been told to up his game behind the scenes

e.g the thanksgiving trip. the media tours from GOP operatives. More focussed messaging. This potentially all ties into a deteriorating president.

Clearly his "defense" will be blatant disinfo including a fake investigation into Biden

dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Likely response "well 75% of Democrats think Clinton was a good president so mumble-mumble!"

Auriaprottu, song219, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    IMO it is unlikely a functional (bi-partisan) Congress can be saved unless McConnell suffers a strategic electoral defeat

As recently as 2015 under Boehner there was some acceptance of a bi-partisan approach but since Boehner's overthrow, McConnell has taken a 100% unilateral approach. It is hard to see why he will change it unless he is punished at the polls. Right now he refuses to advance any House legislation.

charlie15, song219, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's why so many "independents" are Republicans. They vote red, but are embarrassed by the label.

23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Am I supposed to imagine these lyrics sung to jazz or to polka?

(Sorry, I agree with what you're saying but I couldn't resist.)

Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That they control their own votes.
    If he means Trump voters, you are obviously right. If he means Trump’s core...I wouldn’t want to bet the mortgage on either side.
    Sorry for 3 straight quotes...but to me, that poll is small bore nutpicking. I wonder what a poll of Dems asking them to compare to Obama to Lincoln would show? Or Obama to FDR? Regency bias is insane. I mean, look at the NFL’s all time teams. They’re a joke.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zelensky is firing a bunch of prosecutors as part of his anti-corruption campaign, including some of Giuliani’s...co-conspirators? Pals? Partners?

Trying to imagine this conversation. “Ja ja ja ja, he ********ed Marilyn Monroe. What a loser!”