The "I'm so ********ing sick of this election, I just want it over RIGHT NOW" Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The "I'm so ********ing sick of this election, I just want it over RIGHT NOW" Thr

Done.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The "I'm so ********ing sick of this election, I just want it over RIGHT NOW" Thr

Okay, but what changes would you fight for? Specifically?

And when you're Supreme Leader of the Whole World, would you please appoint me to some sort of cushy job on a Carribean island somewhere? Preferably one that looks favorably on recreational pharmaceuticals but doesn't have a whole lot of people living there. Thank you in advance.

3. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If it is the rather banal and obvious #32, then I greatly misjudged you.

OH GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD!!!!!! I am mortally wounded!!! Please remove this sword that has found it's way to my heart!! I am destroyed, undone, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I am starting to wonder at your mental faculties. I have said repeatedly that the present climate is not conducive to either side putting good ideas on the table, and you post an excellent comment that reinforces the "why" of my comment. Why you continue to feel the need to defend yourself when I am agreeing with you?

I knew I'd break through that wall of cynicism. "It's supposed to look out for me". I knew you were a closet optimist!

Answered in another post.

You tone seemed condescending to me. That is wjere the "Ivory tower" comparison comes from, along with what I perceived as a running joke between us on your being condescending in other posts. Sorry if I misread you.

Yes. It is a running joke. Turn down the sensitivity a little. See above. And yes, you brought it up to show you were smart. Quote from you "If I wanted to show how smart I was, I'd post my test scores,". and yes, I know it was a joke. You keep saying how I don't get a joke, notice where the other fingers point when you point at me.

Once again, I used your post as a place to start a comment on the demonization of candidates.

We all did (or at least the vast majority of us). What does that have to do with your lavish support of Kerry's position?

It was in the very next paragraph. And you say I don't read your posts!

I imagine anything that I found, you would say was a joke and therefore not pertinent. You issued a challenge, I met it.

And my point was that the demonization of the candidates was unnecesary, so how do you think bringing Hitler in helped make your point? The personal attacks are just one more way to avoid talking about real issues.
    It is fine for you to say that you specifically said you were not comparing Bush with Hitler, but you are also know that the juxtaposition you used has exactly that effect.

I've already covered this, ad nauseum.

4. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro

Can I have more than one wife? :D

What?

I happen to enjoy the sun.

5. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Move to Utah.

6. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is there some sort of Conservation of Numbskulls rule built into the fabric of the known BigSoccer universe? Because it seems like no sooner does one go away than another one arrives to take his place.

7. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you know what the penalty for bigamy is?

Two wives!!

8. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but we like you anyway!!!

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

:rolleyes: I'm going back to work. Whatever that post was, banal and obvious it was not.

Because you complained that I'm partly the cause of the climate.

No - that's its job. I'm a liberal - I'm supposed to like the government.

I don't mind the rest of this discussion, but if you're going to quote me, at least do me the favor of quoting entire sentences. Because its important.

Once again, why?

Its not lavish. Its opposition to Bush.

Why are you avoiding the point so obviously after I have twice allayed your fears as to the reason for my Hitler reference? I can't be any more obvious.

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay, this is pretty funny.

11. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro

I said that I like the sun which I thought implied sand, surf, margaritas, etc...

Sorry if I was making Ian jealous. :p

12. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I've got to get back to it too. IMHO you rate that one too highly. You have a lot of other posts that are much better.

LOL. Let's save this one for another night.

Reasonable request.

Sometimes it is just not personal. I was posting about a phenomena that is much broader than your post. It was just a good starting point.
    If the roles were reversed I would probably feel the same way you do and ask the same question. Trust me, it wasn't personal.

We'll have to agree to disagree. At least I took the "s" off! :D

I have and had no fears, I just thought it was innapropriate for the issue at hand.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Well, nature abhors a vacuum. And since the conservatives around here suck way more than most vacuums, it's only natural that when one leaves, another one fills the void.

;)

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D

In any country that I control, people can make whatever sorts of living arrangements they want. There will be marriage contracts and that contract, negotiated between and among the parties involved, is what will set forth the rules for the marriage. Not the church, not the government. The contract.

So if you can find women who are willing to share you then so be it. Write it into the contract.

Naturally, there will be penalties for people who default on their contracts but those, too, will be written into the contract.

I'm thinking that my island will have a healthy population of relationship lawyers. :D

15. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro

Don't tell you-know-who* the numbers that came around when he went on vacation in Italy.

*name withheld so he won't get mad at me...again. :eek:

16. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm thinking it will have a mentally healthy population. When are you starting this island?

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One thing - abolition of the plurality election system we have in place. Replacement with Condorcet voting. And, I think, abolition of the electoral college should follow.

While there are lots of other things that I, personally, think our country should implement, this movement would need to appeal to the entire American political spectrum to succeed. No talk of fiscal policy, or foreign policy, or domestic policy - it all distracts from something every single individual in America should be concerned with: voting mechanics.

The problem is - how do you convince the people who believe everything coming out of the GOP or DNC's mouths that this really is a good idea? Good enough that they should be willing to vote out anyone who opposes it? I don't know that yet (that's what I'm struggling with), but I do know this - I'm going to have to work on my demagoguery and public speaking.

18. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

Ah - now you know the mine from which my deep cynicism stems.

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ask Foos. He's the one who will grant me the power.

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, I have a math degree and I can barely comprehend Condorcet voting. You thing it will improve democracy to have a geek voting system that nobody understands?

21. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly - yes. I barely comprehend it myself, and I've got an EE degree, but I love the concept of IRV, and Condorcet is clearly better than IRV since it eliminates the spoiler idea (which IRV only does up until the point that winning is feasible for the 3rd+ party).

The system is broken. Fixing it may be hard, but I think it has to be done. Or at least attempted.

22. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm with you on that. The first step is getting rid of the archaic electoral system. In deference to it's historical significance, it should be relegated to the history books. Since Lincoln we have been kidding ourselves that there are "state's rights". This is just one more vestige of those times.

23. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Me too. I'm also really tired of posters who claim they already know the result, and want to rub that in your face. The saving grace is that there is humor in their position, and if their candidate doesn't win.. I want their phone numbers.

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My point is, why would the public accept a system that is too complex to understand? If you really want to change things, you have to have ideas that are appealing.

25. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I understand that. Part of the challenge is making it clear that Condorcet is appealing.

It's probably a multi-step process anyway. Approval voting would probably be a good first step.