The "I'm so ********ing sick of this election, I just want it over RIGHT NOW" Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The "I'm so ********ing sick of this election, I just want it over RIGHT NOW" Thr

Not until the electoral system is reformed.

No joke, I'm about this far (holds fingers three microns apart) to saying "******** it" and leading the revolution myself. When is somebody going to show some real leadership and try to get this thing (ie, electoral reform) done? If it doesn't happen soon, I'm going to do it out of sheer frustration.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Re: The "I'm so ********ing sick of this election, I just want it over RIGHT NOW" Thr

If necessity is the mother of invention, is frustration the mother of revolution?

3. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, they probably both have a lot of the same parts inside them.

4. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nuanced? LOL You wouldn't know nuanced if it walked up to you with a big sign on that said "NUANCED". It was a clear swipe at Bush in a thread about how sick most of us are at the prattling nonsense that has replaced political thought. I would have thought you would have had enough grasp of your own post to recognize that. As to how smart you are, you should re-read your post. We are all very impressed by your test scores!! Ha ha.

This is my favorite. you say my post is nonsense and then you immediately turn around and add more evidence for my point. I love it! Is disagreeing with me just a reflex for you?

Sigh. Are you saying that if you believe in something you can not be troubled to write a letter or send an e-mail? Or work in a campaign or as a volunteer in an election? I guess it's too hard to get out of that ivory tower or to climb over your stacks of test scores.

"Waah, my guys not ahead in the polls so the country is a disaster and it's political system is terrible!! Waah!

I was talking about fundamental debate in the government about these things. You are right, there is much discussion on BS about these things, I would like to see our elected leaders do as much. Your point about the debate being beaten down by the political talking points is exactly my point-there is almost no meaningful debate because of this. As far as my ability to differentiate between cynicism and apathy, I would respond that you need to be able to differentiate between your little world and the bigger one outside.

This is the most disingenuous thing in your post. You have said as much and worse about Bush in this and other posts.

Perfect! What a witty boy. Brilliant!

This is beneath you.

I was making a more general comment. Are you going to maintain that both of the campaigns have NOT tried to demonize the other? I simply maintain that it is unnecesary to do so. Geesh!

Apparently very little.
    ;)

5. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If everyone who says this actually votes for a third party, it would be a great start!!

6. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

True. Because that's not actually nuanced.

:rolleyes: Learn to ********ing read. I wasn't referring to that post as nuanced. That was a JOKE. They're not supposed to be serious. Christ! Find my post above that one. You know, the post ABOVE. That one has more nuance than you can shake a nuance devining rod at.

The not-gettery of your posts is stunning. Joke. It was a joke! J-O-K-E. What does it spell? Funny!

Your post didn't have a point. It was a sad mewl about how we're all bad for demonizing. And there I go, suggesting that Bush's policies are bad. Which I believe they are, yes. And your response is to say it proved your point? :confused:

You are quite correct. I stongly believe my cable provider should carry ESPN deportes and Gol TV. I've written them about this.
    However, my point, and your point, was about the GOVERNMENT. I am not the government. I'm sure the letter I write to Chuck Schumer will change everything. If its laden with Franklins, of course.

With my work schedule? Not really, no.

Ivory towers are for academics. I am not an academic. Also, if I was climbing out of a tower, why would I need to climb over my test scores? Finally, are you insecure about low test scores? You keep bringing up a joke directed at a departed (hopefully) poster of these boards.

A. I've never said our political system is terrible. You keep writing, but you don't READ my posts.
    B. Its has nothing to do with my guy. Kerry's not "my guy". He's the guy not named Bush who has a good chance of winning. Bush is easily the worst President in quite some time, as evidence, for example, by his supporters pathetic defense of "he didn't look as lost at the debates as he might have". Is that truly the low level we expect from our politicians? That they not crap themselves on stage, and not drool over themselves while answering questions?

Great - go complain about the election debate. I'm sure Kerry would have loved a real debate, but what are the odds of Bush agreeing to one of those?

BECAUSE OF WHAT? You're moving goalposts more often than Rutgers fans during an 11-0 season! Is your argument that much of the debate has been reduced to nonsensical blathering because of what the media and the parties have done? If so, you sure as hell didn't write it! You moaned about my demonization of Bush as a zit.
    Goats go to heaven, zits go to hell, I suppose.

That makes absolutely no sense. Just because I think things are the way they are does not mean I abrogate my rights to vote on them. I think the people have never truly had as much of a say in the political process as many others. That makes me a cynic. That does not mean I will not vote, as at the end of the day, we do have an impact, albeit a smaller one than you might think. I also think issues are important, even if the candidates ignore them and focus on their talking points.
    You keep responding, but you're not reading.

Really? Find it. I dare you. I double ********ing dare you. I have been careful in my attacks on Bush the President never to say that he's a "bad man". He isn't. But his policies are utter shite.
    (And no, jokes do NOT count. :rolleyes:)

No, its at the core of the issue. Just because Bush is trying to "do the right thing" does not change my opinion of his policies. I wouldn't care if he actively wanted to destroy this country by wanting to form coalitions to invade terrorist harboring countries. Great!

I AM NOT THE CAMPAIGNS. You went of on a little rant at me after I called both Bush and Kerry "zits". That's demonizing? ********ing hell - your side has a group that's saying Kerry betrayed this country by protesting against Vietnam, and you rail at me? What are we teaching kids in schools these days?

7. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa

Frequently yes. Think about it.

And I'm with Foos. If Bush wins legitimately (read; BOTH popular vote and EV victory in a non-court mediated way) I'll probably curse the dumbasses of the country and get on with my business. But if he steals the freakin thing again I'll be ready to hit the streets. And mark my words, I won't be alone.

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Sigh. Yes, I realize that. I was joking. Usually the fat and content do not start revolutions.

Apparently I should focus on the serious stuff tonight, as I'm getting blasted for calling Bush a "zit". I didn't think it was that funny, but I thought it was funny enough to be clearly taken as a joke. Worthless clown college degree - why did I ever go to Berkeley?

9. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Nicephoras gets his first nomination for that one.

You know what word I'm not comfortable with? Nuance. It's not a real word. Like gesture. Gesture's a real word. With gesture you know where you stand. But nuance? I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa

Ask and ye shall receive:
    http://www.looptvandfilm.com/blog/spinalley.mov

I'm gonna watch tonight down at HQ makin' calls.

12. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

TRIUMPH: A lot of people think [Bush] should appeal more to women because he's a douche. [laughter] I finally stopped you. You know what Bush won me over with? When he indicated that Kerry changed his mind. I think the 83rd time was finally a charm for me.

REPUBLICAN WOMAN: I think the most important time he changed his mind was when he refused to fund the troops in iraq, a critical situation for our country to be successful there. it's good to see you tonight.

TRIUMPH: Thank you for your time. Have a safe trip back to Stepford. [laughter]

TRIUMPH [chasing after Karl Rove]: Oh, it's Karl Rove. it's the brains. You're Bush's brains, Karl. I was expecting a much smaller man. [laughter]....He didn't get it....I'm a dead man.

TRIUMPH [standing next to Ralph Reed and David Corn]: You're hearing the ravings of Ralph Reed, who used to pimp the Christian Coalition. Now, he reeks of bush more than a k.d. lang mosh pit. [ laughter ] Really, what a shock.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lemme tell you, this is the one and only reason why I'm thankful for living in a solidly red state. (Of course, it's offset by the whole "my vote doesn't count for a hill of beans" thing.) The only campaign ads I see on the local stations are for local and congressional candidates.

In my congressional district, the Republican incumbent is running unopposed. I'm thinking that in 2006, I should file as the Democratic candidate, just for shits and giggles.

14. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That pretty much sums it up for me.

15. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ditto.

though i did write myself in for county sheriff, so maybe i have a BIT more to wait for.

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, most judges run unopposed. Still, it blows.

Blame E.J. Davis for this. Had he not run Texas like a banana republic strongman during Reconstruction, the 1874 Texas Constitution would've given the governorship a lot more power and we wouldn't have to ******** around with ******** like that.

17. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Bush is a bigger zit". You're right, incredible nuance there.

Not-gettery? I must have missed that test.

I think a quote here says it all. Do you see my post and what you posted as being unsupportive. I say no one puts ideas out because they are attacked without true discussion, your quote I see as reinforcing the notion that no good or passable ideas are on the table. Where do you see the confusion.

originally posted by topcatcole...
    "No one puts ideas on the table because when you do all that is heard is what is wrong with the idea-no exploration of the positives."

Originally posted by Nicephoras... "what ideas thave Bush or Kerry proposed that are either good (none for Bush, and these have been discussed ad nauseum) or can be passed (none for Kerry, especially his health care package, which is less likely to see the light of day than Whoopi Goldberg's 35 page Playboy pictorial)? All they've subjected us to is an overwhelming barrage of political rhetoric, which undescores how little we expect from our candidates, and how little we think we and even they can do."

So it's the Government's fault and you are not part of it because you voted and paid your taxes. You did your part. My point is that we can and should do more and expect more.

You may want to read my post. Ivory Towers are not just for academics. It is a terminology that has passed into the popular lexicon. OR has a specific meaning in English, although I understand that simple words can have multiple meanings if you are a lawyer. As to test scores, YOU brought it up.

You're right. From this post it is clear that Kerry is not your guy. Just don't accuse ME of not reading your posts after that one. Haha. Counselor, you more than most should know that what supporters say is not really evidence of anything, although your characterization is funny. And I agree that we should expect more from our politicians. That is where this all started.

You know you sure take Kerry's side a lot for someone who's not "your guy". I know I would have loved a real debate. What are the odds? I would say the odds are not such that I would bet on them.

I used what you said as an example to make a more general point. Ring!! Ring!! It's the Department of Oversensitivity calling for Mr Nicephoras!!

I have never tried to stop you from voting. In fact, I wish that most people who voted had given it as much thought as you seem to have, whether they reach the same conclusions as I do or not.
    It seems to me we are off the subject. All I was trying to say was that in this media age, the unrelenting attacks of the campaigns on each other is just too "over the top" for most people.

I quote, "Incompetent rapacious twit" https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140324
    I don't know how I could have gotten the wrong impression.
    For those of you that don't want to look it up, from Dictionary.com rapacious-Given to plunder; disposed or accustomed to seize by violence; seizing by force.

My reference was to your bringing in Hitler. As much as I am underawed by the candidates of the major parties, neither one is at the level of a Hitler. Therefore it was not a useful contribution to the discussion.

Clearly you didn't read my post. Just as a reminder:

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are being willfully stupid here or else you can't read. You know that's not the post thatNicephoras was referring to and yet you continue to harp on it.

Exactly. It's passed into the popular lexicon where it refers to academics living in their ivory towers, not lawyers working in the trenches of the real world.

Well, by your definition, Bush certainly is rapacious. And he's also incompetent and a twit. So I'm not sure what your point is.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

I'm starting to wonder at your mental faculties. THE POST ABOVE THAT ONE. How many times do I have to say it?

Humor 101.

You want an opinion on any of Bush's proposals? Go search my posts! They've been discussed ad nauseum. Do you want me to launch into yet another critique of his social security plan again? I've done it before!

Look, there's only so much I can do while I'm working. I can't watch the government. There are groups who do that, and I donate money to them. I also pay my taxes. I am not supposed to watch out for my government - its supposed to watch out for me.

Yes, for academics.

What does ivory tower mean in this case then? If its passed into the popular lexicon, how does it apply to me? :confused:

As a JOKE. You keep repeating it, as if I've used them to prove I'm smart. Why?

No, its not. It all started from your post where you complain I demonize candidates.

Stalin fought Germany. I'd take his side in that one too.

What's your general point? You've been too busy obfuscating.

OK.........so why did you respond to my joke with your rant?

Its rather funny how you failed to quote the prior part of my post. Lets read the whole thing.

Hmm, it seems like I'm using a rhetorical device to suggest that Bush isn't all that important to us, since we're not in Iraq. Especially since my next sentence mentions him being as bad as Coolidge, clearly a serious discussion of Bush. Got me!
    In that same post, btw, I also refer to Goldwater as a "crazyass Republican mofo". Clearly I was at the height of serious discourse.

Once again, I'm left to wonder at what they teach kids these days. In my very first post I specifically mentioned that Bush and Hitler should not be compared. The point being that just because someone think they're doing the right thing, doesn't matter from an overall point of policy. Really, how much more clear could I have been?

Why did you make this general point by launching an attack on my jocular reference to Bush as a zit then?

20. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Regale me, oh brilliant one. And what post do you think he is referring to?

From Dictionary.com
    ivory tower n. A place or attitude of retreat, especially preoccupation with lofty, remote, or intellectual considerations rather than practical everyday life.
    Read the whole string and you will see the point.

Are you the one who just accused me of not being able to read? Had you read the whole post you would have seen that that was aresponse to a challenge issued to me.
    Based on the content of your post, I would be careful about slinging the terms "incompetent" and "twit" around too much.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Dude, just find the post above the one you're referring to. Seriously - how hard could it be? You just scroll up!

My job involves issuing securities for large corporations or crafting sophisitcated financial instruments for them. That, sadly, has very little to do with "lofty, remote and intellectual considerations", and is real life. When clients from Brazil call me at 9:30 on a Friday because the Prospectus has a typo, that's about as un-ivory tower as you can get.

22. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, that made me laugh.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to topcatcole again.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You've got a church and a growing following. Quit making excuses and lead us. Then martyr yourself so I can take over as Global Czar with peledre as my information minister and Skip as the comander of ass kicking. I promise we'll build a nice shrine or something for pigeons to **** on in your name.

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Oooh - can I be in charge of the treasury? Just think of the kickbacks!

25. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really don't think I'm joking here. In fact, anything other than a Kerry landslide will probably push me into action. Let's examine the alternatives...

1) Bush wins easily. One of the worst presidents ever wins reelection on a platform of gross incompetence and lies. What does that say about the electoral process? I no longer think that it means conservatives are idiots. I think they honestly don't know who else to vote for that represents their interests other than whomever the Republican party puts out there.

2) Bush wins via court challenges. Great - yet another power-grab stolen election by the bourgeois (in the Marxist sense of the word). :rolleyes:

3) Kerry wins via court challenges. Great - yet another power-grab stolen election by the bourgeois (in the Marxist sense of the word). :rolleyes:

4) Kerry wins easily. My faith in the system is slightly restored, as such a horrid president is voted out by normally loyal "party-line" voters. Still feel kinda dirty, as while Kerry is better than Bush, he's still not as good as we deserve/need. For instance, they are both fabulously wealthy Skull-n-Bones bluebloods from Yale. Not exactly men of the people.

I've been mulling this one over all day, trying to figure out how to get this done. I might have been satisfied with effecting a local change, but as this farce drags on and on and on, I'm becoming more convinced that change is needed now, and on a national scale.