The "I'm so ********ing sick of this election, I just want it over RIGHT NOW" Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Oct 20, 2004.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Re: The "I'm so ********ing sick of this election, I just want it over RIGHT NOW" Thr

Jesus Christ. Everyone here acts as if we used to have sooo much say in the political process. Back in the good old days when only propertied white men were allowed to vote, and when 40 merchants and plantation owners took us to war. Or back in the great days when white men used slaves as votes, and electoral college chicanery was rampant. Or back in the wonderful days when Kennedy was buying votes from Giancana. Or in the fabulous 20s when the rich ran this country like their personal amusement park (look at Harding's cabinet sometime).
    Now that we have round the clock coverage of the politicians, however, we just understand our own impotence a lot better. That's really the only thing that's changed.

2. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The "I'm so ********ing sick of this election, I just want it over RIGHT NOW" Thr

Are you saying ignorance is bliss? Because I could point to a couple of extremely blissful people that regular this forum.

3. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't doubt it and within the current system, it's a good strategy if you want to win.

I had read the article after reading the thread and thought it dovetailed well with Loney's post.

Until something happens or a politician comes along that can grab enough of the middle, this country will be divided 50/50 and we'll be dealing with post-election battles. It's better to get used to it then get distraught.

Murf

4. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro

Funny that we are all paying for it, buying or not.

5. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But that's a very important change.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sig'd and repped.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

To a certain extent, of course. The human mind relies on that idea. I would imagine omniscience would be horrifying. That's on a theoretical level.
    On a practical level, yes, I do think an emptier happiness is the product of ignorance. Same with self confidence on certain issues. Most people who're ignorant tend to be the most secure in their beliefs, because they so rarely question them.
    On a practical political level, what we now have is the secret to how our food is made, so to speak. Before, we saw a cow, and then we saw the hamburger. Now we see the real guts of the political machine. And while, as Denis Leary says, murder tastes pretty ********ing good, we don't like to see too much of it, because it leaves us with a distaste for the process. Supposedly there is a very high percentage of vegetarians among workers in slaughterhouses. We're becoming political vegetarians as well.

Oh, absolutely. But that change is not in the system, but in our perception of the system. We're like Cassandra rather than Job. Its not that something terrible has happened to us - no one has taken away our democracy, since it never existed in the idealized form we like to hearken back to. Its that we've realized that, like Cassandra, we see and know what's coming, but are tragically unable to change it.

8. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hate it, but I think you are right. As much as I was never a "Tricky Dick" fan, at least he didn't whine about losing the election to Kennedy and drag the entire nation through the courts, and he had at least as much right as Gore to do it. Don't these guys ever think about the precedents they set anymore? I think both candidates (and both parties) should pledge that they won't do that again. There are just some things that shouldn't go to court. IMHO, I think the "Re-Defeat Bush" bumper stickers have won more votes for Bush than for Kerry.

9. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Good news: 1yr 8 months from the World Cup. Less than halfway from the last one. 20 months.

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to nicephoras again.

Not that you need any more rep, but that's a rockin post from A to Z.

11. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a funfact:

I have little to no idea what's on the California ballot.

While that may be the norm for some, it's not for me. Not to squonk my own hooter, but two weeks before a major election I usually have a much, much, much better idea about exactly which hot pokers California's initiative process has in store for my ass.

I know there's the Arnie-backed stem cell initiative. And there's a hot'n'heavy employer mandated health care coverage battle goin on. But there's certainly more. And don't even start with local Oakland measures. Me and Mrs. Castigo looked at our sample ballot the other night and had a joint "WTF?" moment.

But this presidential election has totally sucked my brain dry. There's room for little else, electorally speaking. I've been Daily Hardballed by Blog Debate Crossfired to death.

I'm dead. Speak fondly of me.
    As a dying request, Fire Steve Sampson....(gasp)...

12. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    When I was out there in San Leandro last month visiting my uncle, I did notcie that you have a ton of initiatives all with their little number. I don't know how anyone can keep things in order. I feel your pain.

13. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice breakdown. I kind of figured as much. I was that gloriously ignorant, stupendously confident pup with the gigundous chip on my shoulder. Many things helped alter my perception on things: marriage, parenthood, getting my ass handed to me in debates, and flat out questioning everything I used to believe.

And as much as I don't like what's going on, I wouldn't go back to that dufuss I used to be. Looking back, I absolutely hated that guy. And so did a lot of other people...so I've been told.

Maybe, just maybe, we're finally growing up as a nation. Except right now, we're in the extremely ackward teenage years where our brains and balls are going in opposite directions.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Yes, Bush and Kerry are zits on the face of our nation. Bush is just a much bigger one.

15. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    It's even worse in Texas - you have page after page of every pissant little judge position to vote on. And before the election, the radio is flooded with these ads where they accuse each other of taking bribes from pedophiles and such.

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is some good stuff. You don't need it, but I'd rep you if the system let me.

I refuse to accept the idea that we are unable to change it. I think we are, and I hope that enough people will be aggravated by the process to want to change it.

I think we may be approaching a truly revolutionary moment in the history of America that could dramatically restructure the political landscape. I think we are really close to the public wanting some kind of drastic electoral reform, but I've yet to determine what event is going to be the proverbial straw that with nudge the proletariat into motion. I have little doubt that despite the tooth-and-nail fighting for supremacy between Reeps and Dems, the instant a threat appears to challenge their hegemony they'll close ranks.

Is IRV, or better yet (as I've discovered recently) Condorcet voting around the corner? This would result in a tremendous revitalization of American politics. It would actually shift a large chunk of the power back to everyday people.

17. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WTF--This kind of comment is exactly why people are so sick of this election. It is this kind of negative, "the guy I oppose is horrible" kind of politics that is a root cause of all of this. And it's all done with a smug "I'm so much smarter than you" superiority. Why don't you guys congratulate each other on being so smart some more.

No one puts ideas on the table because when you do all that is heard is what is wrong with the idea-no exploration of the positives. The level of political debate here is pathetic. There are real problems out there. Some of them need Government intervention, but all we get is smarmy witicisms. Then, after it all, we will be so surprised that turnout sets a record low again. I guess we are just all so cynical and smart now that it doesn't really matter if there is any debate on the role of government or what American foreign policy ought to be. No, we can be much smarter by saying brilliant things like "the president is a bad man because we are stuck in Iraq". Bush and Kerry are neither Gods nor Devils. They are just guys trying to do the right thing as their world views and ambitions lead them. Good grief, can't we choose who to support without the required demonization of the opposition.

Lastly, have a good time. Tear me to shreds. It doesn't matter.

18. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Knave, a dictatorship would be so much better, wouldn't have these pesky, annoying elections in the way every 4 years.

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the way to go. Rest assured, I'd be a fair and balanced leader.

20. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair, maybe, but can anyone that spends enough time here to be a mod truly be called balanced?
    :D :D

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Sigh. Did you see the post directly above mine? The one that referenced this country being a teenager? You know, one likely to have facial "malfunctions"? I write a nuanced post above, and you choose to slag the throway one liner. That comment wasn't meant to show how smart I am. If I wanted to show how smart I was, I'd post my test scores, but Mozilla won't be around to enjoy that.

Nonsense. Sheer nonsense. I don't recall any of us saying "well, we might lose soldiers in Afghanistan, lets not do it". That was a good idea. That we supported. But what ideas thave Bush or Kerry proposed that are either good (none for Bush, and these have been discussed ad nauseum) or can be passed (none for Kerry, especially his health care package, which is less likely to see the light of day than Whoopi Goldberg's 35 page Playboy pictorial)? All they've subjected us to is an overwhelming barrage of political rhetoric, which undescores how little we expect from our candidates, and how little we think we and even they can do. I want Kerry to win because the prospect of four more years of Bush's domestic reforms scare me more than inviting Margot Kidder to a meth party.

Topcatpole to the rescue! :rolleyes:

As I am not the government, that's what I'm supposed to contribute. I work, and pay my taxes, and wouldn't be opposed to paying a bit more in taxes. I pay for the government to solve the problems its supposed to solve. Its not my job to get the government to do what it should. Its the job of the people I'm paying to do so.

My cynical take on politics, cynicysm being the blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be, has no impact on my voting. I will vote, and I would encourage everyone to do so. However, that does not mean I will not remain realisitc in my expectations. Given how badly Bush has ********ed this country over, how can my cynicism not deepen every day that he's ahead in the polls? (Yes, I said it.) Or every day I read that 20% of the population (more, usually) thinks Saddam had something to do with 9/11?

JFC, what the hell do you think we do on this forum all day? Debate foreign policy! I'm sorry we're not quite as articulate on the subject as a graduate seminar at the Kennedy School of Government, but I dare say we try.
    Why the hell is this rant on the "I wish the election was over" thread? This thread isn't started to suggest the issues are meaningless! Its started because we've been beaten down by political talking points of both parties. Cynicism is not apathy; you need to differentiate between the two.

No, but since no one here says that, you aren't any more clever by throwing up sad strawmen.

Ah, so Cheney's still in the running to be Beelzebub's avatar!

Define "do the right thing". Hitler was trying to "do the right thing". I guess we shouldn't demonize Uncle Ade then too, right? (No InTheNet, this does not mean Bush is Hitler.)

Oh, truly you are a great man. Apparently by calling both candidates "zits" I've now demonized them. Gawd, next thing I'll call them heterosexual, and that would truly set the world alight in outrage!

You're right. Your post doesn't really matter. Although I didn't have as good a time as I expected tearing it apart. :(
    Am I losing my schaudenfreude? Because really, what's left of a man after that?

22. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as I get to be your propaganda minister, the serfs will at least think you're fair and balanced. :D

23. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Eh. Screw being fair or balanced. The army and I will rule with an iron fist and my regime will definitely be corrupt. But eventually, you will come to realize I know what is good for you and appreciate my benevolent, if at times violent, rule.

Seriously though, the two-party system is about as undemocratic as democracy can get. Will there ever be a third party with any sort of legitmacy in America?

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's why I'm voting robocratic. Hey - my toaster will make a better VP than Cheney.

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

If you don't read anything else nicephoras wrote today, read this.