The "I Was Wrong" Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JC7rox, Apr 20, 2007.

1. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was wrong, when I thought that the game at anfield would be hard :p

2. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was wrong about something this season but it's something I'm pleased about.

I thought Liverpool would be much better than they are and really give chase for the title. As it is they have regained their "clowns" title and are now 9 points behind us before christmas.... :D

3. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was wrong to be happy about our starting line up today. Seems obvious now. :(

4. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Ha, you suck.

You suck, dude.

5. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was wrong about us being unable to fall into a defensive crisis like last season.

Just a few days ago I said we'd be fine, that we had quality back ups to step in.

And now Vidic and Rio go down in consecutive matches with Brown and O'Shea looking like FOOOLS.

7. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Very wrong about Villa.

They were dead (as I predicted they'd be, and felt I'd got it 100%) on their feet for a while, but they've caught a magnificent second wind and have come one something fierce these last few games. They deserve 5th over Everton, really.

Ashley Young was also one I got wrong. I wrote in the (p)review thread that he was too young yet to carry the creative budens of a team, but he has been absolutely immense this season and is a real throw-back to a wing-man who actually delivers perfect crosses time and time again.

I have thought for a while he'd be perfect for Liverpool, but he's raised his bar so much that I think he'd do just fine for us and would be a great player for the rotation should we go that aerial route. We have no one at the club who comes near him for crossing. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's one of, if not the best crosser in the league this season, and see him excede my expectations in the way he has has been one of the nicest stories of the season, from a personal POV. Villa will have a big fight on their hands to keep him - he'll be gone from there within the next 2yrs as will Agbonlahor.

8. llcc

llcc Member

Jul 15, 2002
    san diego
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i was wrong about O'Shea's potential contribution. granted, i didn't see simultaneous injuries to rio, evra, gn, wb, evans, rafael, and fabio (did i forget anyone?). o'shea obviously brings some intangibles, such as locker room presence and willingness to play the squad role, however, given his run of games, he's even mostly cut out his propensity to pass to the opposition. we're lucky to have him. have always loved him for his occasional legendary flashes of brilliance, but his contribution lately has been substantial, especially the way the side has overhauled 'pool and the defense has earned the new clean sheets record.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol

it is kinda weird that he will go down in history as being a key part of our longest run of cleansheets.

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ahhh, sweeeeeeeeet justice.

11. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He still is pretty terrible.

12. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    keep telling your self that

13. MANUTDGAL

MANUTDGAL New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Framingham, Mass.
    I was wrong in thinking that it was time for Giggs, Scholes and Neville be put out to pasture!!!!:eek::eek:

14. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm kinf of with you on this. I never doubted their ability but age looked to have been catching up with them and I thought that they would be phased out this year. But Neville has recovered and has started looking like the old dependable him, and Giggs has been simply nothing short of magnificent over the last month or so. His ability run a game from the centre of midfield is amazing. I never saw him doing that when he was a winger working the touchline, and his performance against Chelsea was sublime.

Scholes notched his first goal of the season last weekend and hopefully he can kick on, especially with Carrick now back in form. With Hargreaves and Anderson out there's an opportunity for him to get some momentum going.....

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was wrong....

I though Pele would immediately feature into the starting 11 of Porto once he was transferred from Inter Milan, especially since Paulo Assuscao had left for Spain. I was wrong.

16. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn't he just get loaned to someone in England?

Edit: Yeah, freakin Portsmouth of all places. From Italy, to Portugal, to the South Coast...

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gulp...can't believe I'm writing this.

I think I may have been wrong about Blind as a starting CB for us. I'm beginning to think he's actually our best option alongside Bailly.

incighte repped this.
  18. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could not find the Ashley Young thread so...

He just posted a picture of him and his son at the FA Youth Cup match together, watching the U18's.

Like him or not, Youngy is a top professional and an important senior player to have in the locker room with all of the young guys coming through. He may not play much, but he can perform when called upon and he truly cares about the club.

19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was wrong about Tim Tebow being a decent NFL QB. One of my fellow refugees from onenil will recall this discussion.

As for United, I was wrong about Smalling. I used to highly regard him but his progress has been too slow and too sporadic. And I really can't see a future for him now at Old Trafford after this season. I acknowledge his toe injury, but if you've got a broken toe you tell the manager you can't play rather than humiliate the club. With the re-emergence of Jones and Rojo, and of course with Bailly as first choice and Blind as an able deputy, we're in pretty shape at CB -- provided that Jones and Rojo don't revert to the mean.