The "How Can they Justify Beck's Pay?" thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by golazo68, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CescMate

CescMate New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Re: The 'let's financially justify 4 yr/36m for Beckham' thread

Ha!! In retrospect this thread title is hilarious.

2. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC

Yes, I did.

Show me where ticket prices where calculated based on a $50 million per year salary.

Show me where someone had the breakdown % of amount of gate receipts sent up to MLS HQ.

Did you read my post?

Asshat.

3. The Liquidator

May 22, 2006
    Tigres UANL---Dynamo
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm thinking that works in some image rights or something

4. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Gate receipts to not pay Addidas for their sponsorship etc. If you READ the thread you would see numerous posts showing that about 44m of the 50m a year is Image rights :rolleyes:

5. DePauw University

DePauw University New Member

Jul 2, 2001

One other big benefit to signing him: transfer fees. The increased visibility for the league will lead to increased attention from European teams in other players. I think MLS transfer fees are currently lower than the players' actual "worth", and IMO this deal will go a long way toward alleviating that long term.

6. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

No its not dude. Its the number Beckham's signing has to bring in to justify his cost to the league.

The image rights were never going to be part of the deal (or if they are, they are an off-set).

We are discussing how you make up that remaining portion thru ticket sales, jerseys, other ways.

7. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The "How Can the Justify Beck's Pay?" thread

$250,000,000 for 4 years???????????????? That's 62 million per year!!! Not even MJ made that kind of money...

I realize that AEG is ponying up the $ and only $400K counts against the "official" salary cap. But, nonetheless, How in the world can they justify that? Seriously. That's got to be 2 to 3 times the entire league salary cap aggregated. Did anybody figure out how they can recoup that in worldwide jersey sales??

I-N-S-A-N-E is all I have to say.

8. mellowtom

mellowtom New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Frisco
    Re: MLS Economics 101

250million for 5 years
    i sure that includes image rights

9. nedigital

nedigital Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Mass

they made mention of the fact that the deal was "innovative". i'm guessing the money is coming from several places, marketing, product and otherwise.

10. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais

No way...the Euro's are still going to consider it DB's retirement league. The only possible way will be to get enough overseas TV coverage and a curious audience, then actually play well enough for some of those curious Euro's to say (to themselves initially), "That match wasn't half bad."

11. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre

Did the legue shoot its load on Beckham or can we expect big names in all teams?

12. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

100% of his image rights is apparently 44 million/yr. AEG is probably kicking in about 9 million total (from earlier reports, I think). Adidas (already sponsors Beckham) is probably kicking in the rest. Just his image rights alone over 5 years would be nearly $200 million of that, right? Probably also a bit of an increase in Galaxy ticket prices, I imagine.

Still, so long as only $400,000 comes out of the league's pocket, does it really matter who is footing the rest of the bill?

MLS/AEG gets and A+ for this one in my book. I can wait till August, especially knowing that MLS will have Beckham for another 4 seasons after that.

Simply incredible!

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First of all, in a couple days it will be fun reading these early threads and how wrong they are, but I'm game to chip in...

it is a deal worth $250 mil to Beckham right? Well Real Madrid owned 50% of Beckham's 'image rights', whatever that is exactly, while the Gals never had them in the first place. And apparently they're worth millions ($22 mil to RM if the above post is correct) per year. So let's say LA gives away those rights or takes a nominal fee (10%?)...and bam, that 40% of the deal right there.

Give him a minority stake in the team and HDC complex, bam another 20%, not costing AEG a thing except for loss of revenue following a sale they don't plan to make. There is a theoretical loss of ticket revenue, but if you raise prices to cover Beckham's share, that's the difference.

HDC becomes home to the new David Beckham Soccer Academy...another couple million. Add to that partial stakes in other AEG businesses...lot's of value for not a lot of cash.

14. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais

I don't think anyone busted the league on this one. But after further consideration, I think the deal may make some other big names more amenable to coming here.

Consider it an 'ice-breaker.' Somebody had to be first. Maybe a few big-name MLS transfers would give the EPL fans something to whine about other than foreign ownership.

15. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

The idea that MLS is only paying $400K a year is a pipe dream.

17. almeras2475

almeras2475 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Tennessee

Another possibility is some of that money could be part of a future ownership deal. There has been talk of Beckham wanting to own a team when he retires. Why not the Galaxy?

18. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:

Frontpage news on CNN, MSNBC, Fox....

19. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  20. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern

Since today?

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bump....set....spike....

22. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

I need someone to explain David Beckham's contract to me. Unless MLS received 100% of his imaging rights then this contract makes absolutely no sense. $50 million a year!!!!! How many seats does that Home Depot Place hold, like 20,000, and how long is the MLS season. Uhhhhhh, I really need someone to explain this contract to me. And before someone starts talking about t.v deals etc etc let me explain to you about the american public. MEN IN AMERICA DOMINATE SPORTS. Not men as in the athlete but as in dad, son, brother, etc etc. Anyway, men in America watch football, baseball, and basketball. And ONLY THE NFL, NBA, AND MLB. Everytime there is an attempt at another football league, it fails(WFL, USFL), and no one even watches NFL Europe. The fact that David Beckham is at L.A to the everyday sports fan in the states means absolutely nothing. They dont know who he is, and could care less who he is. Basically I need someone to explain this contract to me.

F.C DALLAS FAN 4 LIFE

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

For the life of me I can't see how it can be justified.

For a start, at best, pretty much anywhere else in the world, he'd have got a $150,000 per week salary, or about $7.5 million a year.

He's a very good player, but he's not a showy player. Other than some free-kicks, you couldn't make a tape of his best moves that'd impress anyone really.

Big TV deals, even in Asia, do not get signed to follow one player.

Shirt sales can't be worked out along the lines of "x million shirts at $50 per shirt = ..." because you don't make 100% profit on each shirt sold.

He's too old. He might not yet be over the hill, but he's on the brow of it.

He had no future at Real Madrid, and nobody else seemed to want him. Breaking the bank was not necessary.

24. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

You think Galaxy bought themselves an imaging license?

25. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:

I agree that this $250 Million dollar figure is scary....I hope thats not coming out of MLS's pockets.