The "How Can they Justify Beck's Pay?" thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by golazo68, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CescMate

CescMate New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

So he's didn't get played under Capello and suddenly he's not good enough to make a massive impact in the MLS? How can you discount his enormously successful time and United, the three years he started at Madrid, and the six years he captained England.

I agree that he isn't worth $50 million a year for his playing ability as you couldn't justify paying that amount to get any player. A player like Gerrard is a much better player but signing him wouldn't have 1/100th of the impact that Beckham will have.

Beckham was signed first for the publicity and second for his playing ability. The vast majority of his $250M will be earned through endorsements. That fact doesn't make a poor player or negate his ability. He has never had issues with fitness and health and his work rate on the field has always been exceptional.

Now if Ronaldo was signed for that amount then I might agree with you.

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You and I dont' disagree on a lot of things. His stock has dropped, but it's far from in a free fall. Many teams wanted him - European teams - Bolton, Tottenham and others have been linked with him. He's still a desirable quantity to most people's eyes. Heck, when Pele showed up in the US he was what? 34? 35? He's already retired for pete's sake; he had to come out of retirement to play in the US.

You can't remember his last free kick goal because he hasn't been playing. I bet you he can still bend them pretty good.

$50,000,000 is crazy, I'll give you that. But since it's tied up with sponsorships, equity and other stuff, it becomes much more comprehensible. He WILL make the Galaxy a much better team. Just ask those forwards who are going to be on the end of those crosses.

3. PelesNephew

PelesNephew New Member

Jan 11, 2007

Someone else making my point for me. And let's see what else we have coming in the next 2 years. Brian McBride 34, Zidane old, Kasey Keller damn near 40, and a whole host of other american stars that all say I want to play in MLS again 1 Day. 1 Day when for all these guys in their mid to late 20's? Let me tell you when, when they wash up in Europe and return. I wish Dempsey, Gooch, Convey, Beasley, Rossi etc all played here, then we bring in names with them. That would make the DP rule that much better. I don't think the point of the rule was to lure back aging Americans which is what Colombus plans to do with Brian McBride, but it was definetly to overpay David Beckham.

4. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005

Great point. I'm 32 and was actually anti-soccer for most of my youth until college and WC '94. Casuals will get converted in some percentage contributing to the continued growth of the game.

5. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I was wondering the same thing...

sugddenly whole bunch of Jan 2007 join dates...

attendance increase on bigsoccer thanks to Beckham...

6. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999

From the same article: "The Galaxy, citing industry experts, said the LA deal is worth more than $250 million in salary and commercial endorsements — about $1 million a week — and is 'thought to be the biggest in sporting history.'"

Am I correct that the $250 million figure assumes that Beckham's worldwide image rights will be worth as much in 2011 as they are today? Maybe they should have signed him for an additional 20 years at $1 salary per year, so they could convince dimwit sportswriters that the deal was worth a billion dollars.

7. louis09

louis09 Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just to add to your point....my entire family played and watch soccer all the time I didnt become a fan until this past year....USA vs Italy WC06 and now i can't get enough of it....I am 35

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLS is right to emphasize the $250 million figure. It is aimed squarely at agents and the Qatar league. Americans are used to the marketing dollars included in a deal.

MLS has a sober financial policy - the only sober financial policy in soccer. MLS can not pay exorbitant salaries to soccer stars.

But the US is a big market. If these stars have any kind of broader marketing appeal, they'll get bigger returns from the US market than from the Middle East. Maybe not as big as Japan - but then you have to live in Japan.

Plus - for image rights, which country has stronger copyright protection? The US, Japan, China, or the Middle East?

9. sccrgrl80 redded

sccrgrl80 redded Red Card

Jan 11, 2007

I already said, he was good in the past, but his stock has steadily dropped
    as of late. He got kicked of England & kicked off Madrid.

He will only stay in headlines if he scores a goal in every game, or he has
    another affair w/ his assistant. It will likely be a temporary boost ala Freddy Adu. Mean while young MLS talent like Dempsey keep leaving
    the league.

10. Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

Were sccrgrl79, 78 & 77 already taken?

11. Rowdies 71

Rowdies 71 New Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Oak Park
  12. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Watch out sccrgrl80, When I made that point they told me I should die in a car crash.

13. Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

I'm rooting for her in the upcoming cybergangbang that's about to happen.

14. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No response MarvelousNTx?

15. sccrgrl80 redded

Jan 11, 2007

Have fun with your palm, Mr. "Right Hand"

16. Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

I hope you brought a towellete for your face.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can't remember back to June?

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:confused:

Maybe he's getting a cut of Gals merchandise, or of ticket receipts when they tour Asia, or something.

19. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MarvelousNTx

Sccrgrl80

Glad to see you were so concerned with MLS being successful before the beck's news was announced.:rolleyes:

At least we know that Big Soccer gained new users from the Beckham signing.

20. sccrgrl80 redded

Jan 11, 2007

Is 1 goal every 8 months gonna cut it in America?

21. 75 Cent

75 Cent Member

Jun 17, 2003

Are these people reading this thread or just jumping in and complaining before they know what's going on. Look at it in terms of what the league and the galaxy's oweners are paying, not what Beckham's profit is. Yes he's going to make about $50 mil a year, but the Galaxy pay $3 mil a year, and MLS pays $400K. That's nothing. def not $50 mil. More than the rest of the team, but that's the new rule. Yes he's not in his prime anymore, and wasn't even starting. But name another player in MLS who's good enough to ride the bench at Real Madrid... He'll be an asset for the Galaxy's starting lineup for sure. That's all any real MLS fan should hope for. I think the increase in popularity and ticket sales are obviously going to be there. Just look at what has happened today. Unprecidented level of coverage for MLS. I wish it would only cost the league a couple million a year for this kind of publicity. As far as comparisons to the old NASL... this league isn't set up that way. Beckham isn't going to turn LA into a far better club than Columbus as some have said, and his signing isn't going to bankrupt the league. As i've read already, MLS grows in popularity, Beckham makes his fortune and gets to live here, the Galaxy improve their team, and we're gonna see Landon and Beck's in the same midfield. Everyone is making out better. Cept maybe Alexi if the team continues to underachieve. Everyone calm down and enjoy something worth enjoying.

22. CescMate

CescMate New Member

Oct 2, 2006

Like I've said before, playing in La Liga and the WC does not equate to playing in the MLS.

23. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1.Just becasue MLS is not footing the entire bill doesn't mean they're not getting hosed on the deal. MLS is gambling on Beckham bringing in money yada yada yada. Well in the short term that may be the case but in the reality Beckham is not Michael Jordan. Beckham is a name, Jordan is a brand, and they just gave him a contract that says he's a brand, and he's not. In the states Jordan has become bigger than Nike. Beckham isn't and never will be bigger than Adidas. And so when gone Beckham, Gone Beckham!!! The league as a whole is worth less than Madrid. So why give up something that they wouldn't give up, and no one for that matter. Sure a lot of teams in EPL wanted him, but from a marketing standpoint he means a lot more to them than he does to the L.A. Galaxy. I like Beckham, I'm a Beckham fan. He's part of the reason I myself moved from striker to the midfield. I'm just saying from a talent standpoint and as far as making his team better too much was conceded to get him.

2. The point isn't trapping the young players here which looks like is about to happen to Freddy Adu, the point is to make it so they don't want to leave.

3. As for the girls yada yada, some b.s, and you know it too. How many girls have called you inquiring about Becks. But they sure called this guy just in time to make his point on this board.

F.C DALLAS FAN 4 LIFE

24. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France

I think MLS players will play very hard on him...
    Let's just hope that he won't be badly injuried during his first game... :D

25. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

He scored 4 weeks ago on a free kick, you moron.