The "How Can they Justify Beck's Pay?" thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by golazo68, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

He stuck his neck out further than anybody else on that topic, and he got whacked bigtime on bigsoccer.com for doing so.

Everybody in MLS hates Jamie, nobody would give him that kind of info, he's faking it, he makes up his sources, he's being set up, and so forth.

Not this time.

2. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amazing considering YOU are the sockpuppet.

Seriously though CNN has re-ran the story about 50 times since 10am when I put it on and now they are quoting Don Garber and giving explanations of MLS what more do you want.

And for the 10th time MLS is only paying for 400k of his salary so this signing will do nothing to sink MLS. If anyone sinks it will be AEG and I highly doubt that giving their financial resources and how much money they bring in per year.

3. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At the end of the day, David Beckham makes off like a bandit with this deal. MLS has gained no credibility with this move. People in Spain, Italy, or England aren't saying Wow MLS just came up. They signed David Beckham!!!! What they are saying is can't believe the stupid Americans gave
    him all that money. Now the reality of it.
    1. David Beckham is mediocre. Other than right footed free-kicks this guy is missing most of the game.
    2. He doesn't even play for the team he's on. I don't know about to others, but to me that's a big deal.
    3. Booted off his national team.
    4. Will the Beckham brand work in the states, well, kinda yes and kinda no. Beckham is already a star. Playing in the states just makes his face a little more recognizable (to sports fans and sports fans only). Unless he makes a movie or 2. Hell, he is in Hollywood.
    At the end of the day David Beckham has moved to L.A where he can be closer to his sports academy, live on the beach and be overpaid by 1 1/2 million dollars a year while being allowed to cut a deal that no one else would give him that makes him another 40+million a year, for basically some cool free kicks. Maybe I would feel different if this guy scored goals, but he barely even does that.

4. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just the fact that during the NFL playoffs, NHL season, NBA season, and a president Bush revelation that this has taken over the sporting media and dominated legit news sources tells us that this investment (which is not 250 mil coming out of MLS pockets) is almost certainly going to pay off regardless.

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

I was willing to give you a chance, but you're an idiot newbie. C. Ronaldo and Robinho are not coming to MLS now no matter how much you pay them. PEriod. They'd be in the Qatari or saudi league right now if that wre the case.

6. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Trust me guy, come playoff time saturday, no one is going to be worried about David Beckham. But maybe they will be again on monday. Good thing the transfer season isn't during March Madness.

7. bdevil02

bdevil02 Member

Aug 8, 2004
    DC

From BBC article:

I assume that is apart from image rights?

8. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France

So true
    so true, and what would happen if Beckham doesn't take MLS serioulsy ??? Play with lazyness or miss games for different interest ???

9. Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

I hope you drive off of a bridge and drown in a creek.

10. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France

For now he has done nothing, let's see what happened after his first season... The rest of the world doesn't care about Beckham, in Europe everybody has forgotten him for years...

Beckham is NOT Ronaldinho... He has never been a great player
    Expectations are too way...

11. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The point was to bring in young talent and make them stars, not aging talent think they are going to change something. Neither Qatar or Saudi Arabia has the talent base of the United States nor the population fan base. Not coming no matter how much you pay them, guy Ronaldo is on his way, and Mr Becks isn't a Ronaldo. But the reason they're not coming here is because the league is inferior and the money is not there. But if given a little bit more to come to the states and play; to say not coming no matter how much you pay is far fetched. At the end of the day, all stars whether athletes or movie stars want to make it in the states, and you can't deny that.

12. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You my friend are ignorant, welcome to bigsoccer. My girlfriend and female friends literally got wet when they heard Beckham was coming to the US and have already asked about attending games, buying merch and watching TV.

They didn't even know what MLS was except from me, they don't care if his step overs are not as good as when he was 25 or if he is still English National Team material. True soccer nerds like myself and I'm guessing you know that he isn't his best but that isn't the purpose of this buy at all. By stating over and over again that he isn't as good as when he was younger and that MLS will fold as a result you are proving that you are close minded and ill informed to the structure of the league and the designated player rule.

13. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I know absolutly nothing about CBAs or how union deals work, so anyone out there that has any idea; is giving Beckham a bigger percentage of licensing revenue(ie shirt sales and such) then what was negotiated in the CBA with the other players something MLS and AEG can do?

14. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The 'let's financially justify 4 yr/36m for Beckham' thread

i did a fist pump and a little dance when I heard the news this morning. That justifies it for me.

15. davideyak

davideyak New Member

Dec 13, 2006

The rest of the world doesn't care about Beckham? Ugh, you've been living in France too Long to make idiot comments like that.

16. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: The 'let's financially justify 4 yr/36m for Beckham' thread

too much information.

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckham will be a very good player in MLS, very good, unless he dogs it, which I don't think he will. Remember, he has an image to uphold. He will give 100% if for no other reason, if he dogs it through the league, people will take note, and the image will suffer. That will cost him, and he knows it.

I don't like how the contract is being reported in the media. "$250 mil for 5 years." It sounds obscene. Of course, they aren't mentioning "image rights" which somehow has got tied into this contract.

On the other hand, they also aren't mentioning that he may get equity in the Galaxy out of it too, which is a whole 'nother subject.

And hey newbie - we knew before you even showed up you had a lot of hot air. No need to expend it all in one place.

Peace.

18. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France

Serioulsy, with $250 million you can build the greatest youth system on earth... Better than brazilians, french or dutch.
    Top youth academies guarantee MLS to provide you world class talents for peanuts... Garber has done his worst mistake, MLS youth system was to me the top priority after the SSS issue... This is what will create interest in USA

That's sad to see american people ready to overpay a player Beckham like he was Jesus christ of soccer... He's not even a great player.. This is just INSANE...

I expect huge disapointements...

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

i'm not sure. but i would hope that whatever MLS/AEG have negotiated doesn't go against the CBA.

but i would imagine that Becks doesn't have to be a part of the MLSPU which negotiated the current CBA. he doesn't need any of the benefits of that union, but i'm not sure if there is a clause that lets MLS players not be in the union.

he can remain free to negotiate his own contract, i would think. i'm just not sure of the details of the CBA or requirements (and/or exeptions) to MLSPU membership. if he's not in the MLSPU but has managed to negotiate and achieve his own (clearly better deal) does one think that the members of the MLSPU will treat him as some type of scab or outcast, or will they be thankful that he's helping the league by growing the sport here. again, this is just conjecture, as i don't know much about the MLSPU or the CBA.

if Becks is getting a portion of club revenue, he is more of a player-operator than just a player.

20. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

You are a MORON. READ what's been posted. What part of the image rights discussion do you not understand here (and why that $250m would never go to youth development)?

Sheesh....

21. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France

Sorry to make you face the reality, in Europe everybody knows that Beckham sux...

In Europe the most popular players are :
    Ronaldinho
    Henry
    Eto'o
    Ronaldo

Beckham is nowhere near those guys in term of popularity and talent... Wake up America , this guy is just hype and everybody knows that...

22. Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

Go die in a car crash

23. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, as far as I undrstand it, they're not spending $250 mil on Becks. They're spending approx. $50 mil over 5 years, with the other $200 mil somehow coming from "image rights", whatever the hell that is. I guess they just won't be able to copyright Becks and make a mint, but they know that going in. They'll make the money other ways...hopefully.

The bigger issue - really - is whether he's getting equity in the Galaxy as a result of this deal. He would be the first "player/owner" of MLS!!!

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckham's never been teh best player in Europe; I think most people realize that.

He's still quite good though; and after all, he's still Becks.

Bend it like Beckham, baby...Donovan will be getting on those crosses and slashin' them home...or at least that's what Lalas and AEG hopes...

25. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT

As annoying as MarvelousNTx has been in this thread, wishing death on him doesn't seem like an appropriate response for message board annoyances.