The House

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Riz, Oct 24, 2008.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They haven't taken it as far, obviously, but the comparison is valid.

2. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Geez...Paul Ryan may end up Speaker.

"Not the worst, not the best, just what we'd be stuck with!"-- Toby Ziegler

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    :eek: You shouldn't be quoting someone who leaked classified information around here-- Timon might hear... :cry:

Dr. Wankler, uclacarlos and roby repped this.
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    The only time that phrase is accurate is when it's used to describe the USMNT's chances of winning the WC! :(

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha...well...at least not under Klinsi...lol

roby repped this.
  7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Paul Ryan Elected 62nd House Speaker - Washington Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ul-ryan-set-to-be-elected-62nd-house-speaker/

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/upshot/why-democrats-cant-win.html

From the Democrat thread, good article (I did not see it posted) about the problems for the Democrats in the House.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand those who don't go to dailykos for policy. I don't either. But it's usually a pretty good repository for electoral news in down ballot races.

Anyway, they have an article today that is a rundown of the Dems' chances of taking the house. The article says that the Dems would have to win almost every vaguely winnable race, and part of the reason is poor candidate recruitment. (That's probably what happened in NC...their map is all white, meaning no competitive races, in NC. There should be 1 or 2 slightly vulnerable GOPs.)

The article also states the obvious, namely, that if Trump gets the nomination, who the hell knows what might happen, especially this early.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm liking the Dems chances to hold the House in 2020. My congresswoman, Chrissy Houlahan, should get re-elected.

charlie15 repped this.
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be shocking if the Democrats lost the House. The Democrats gained 6 seats in 2016, and there's a good chance of a single-digit change this year. The possibilities of Democrats gain seats and Republicans gain seats are much more even than the possibilities of Democrats control the House and Republicans control the House. I think you could make a lot of money if you bet that Republicans would gain the House and you were right. https://projects.jhkforecasts.com/house-forecast/ (hereafter JHK) predicts 234.8 to 200.2 with the Democrats having a 98.2 percent chance of control. If the Republicans gain the House, Trump will win, the Republicans will keep the Senate, and who knows how far from Democracy we will get.

I don't have any meaningful votes for president (Biden wins New York), senator (no election), representative (Democratic incumbent Kathleen Rice is predicted to win by 20.2 percent according to JHK), or governor (no election). Furthermore Democratic state senator John Brooks may win unopposed because the Republican challenger works for the Suffolk County Board of Elections in a district that has Nassau County where I live and Suffolk County. He said he would recuse himself from counting votes in his race, but a court disagreed and said he can't run and it was too late to get another Republican. The Republicans talked about appealing to a higher court.

charlie15 repped this.
  13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cook predict that the Dems will win between 1 and 10 additional seats in November. The D's running in competitive seats have massive war chests as well.

14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Where was this ruling in GA?

15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My new top candidate, Tricia Zunker, has a whopping 0.7% chance of winning Wi-7th.

We'll see about that. She has one more vote than she did three weeks ago. I am sure that will change things!

charlie15 repped this.
  16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was in my State Senate district in New York.

17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I got that. If it's illegal there, then why not Gov. Kemp in Georgia?

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laws vary from state to state. If Alabama waited until the even year 2018 to have a special Senate election like most states do, Republicans would have been able to run somebody other than Roy Moore, and Democrat Doug Jones wouldn't be a senator. If Maine didn't become the only state to use ranked choice voting, Republican incumbent Bruce Poliquin would have won District 2 in 2018, which was won by Jared Golden, who was the only House member to vote for one article of impeachment and against one article.