The House

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Riz, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Pick up 7 seats... in 2016? What if Hillary wins by like an LBJ-Goldwater margin (or Nixon-McGovern)? 7 seats would be disappointing. So the Dems can't regain the House until 2022 or something?

2. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Well this sounds more like it!

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they will pick up 7 seats this year (assuming the forecast has no error rate, of course). That will put them at 208 seats, nine shy of a majority. Next election, remove the tenth-most-distant election from this year's cycle (that'd be either 1994, 1996, or 1998 I'd say without actually going back) and re-average.

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

How often is it wrong? As in, are there watershed years where it misses by a lot?

5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beats me. The generic House ballot was my prior indicator before being exposed to this, and this (average prior 10 elections ) predicted 218 seats for the Democrats in 2012, so it was off by a non-trivial margin. But it did predict an increase, so there's that!

6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of senior Democrats retiring, John Dingell the latest. GOP control of the House next Spring.

10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Dingell's wife, Deborah, may run for the seat. She will turn 60 this year. Dingell's father first won the district back in 1933, so if she runs and wins than the Dingell family could conceivably end up holding that seat for 100 years!

American Brummie repped this.
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just what the founding fathers had in mind.

American Brummie repped this.
  12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a cradle robber.

13. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    GOP will keep the house but in CA they will see further losses in the house. Was in DTLA this weekend for the democratic state convention and all eyes are on taking out more GOP CA congressmen. Dennham, valadao, miller seat, Royce, McKeon. Kinda sad that the GOP will be down to 10 seats in the land of Nixon and Regan.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  15. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actual results, from http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-beats-alex-sink-in-florida-special-election/

Jolly (R) 48.5%
    Sink (D) 46.7%
    Overby (Libertarian): 4.8%

PPP poll, from Germerica's link:

Sink 48%
    Jolly 45%
    Overby: 6%
    Margin of error: 3.7%

The actual results are within the margin of error. Technically, PPP was correct -- they provided windows for the expected results, and the actual results were in those windows.

I'm going to go ahead and predict that you (VFish) won't agree with this, but it is factually incorrect to state that PPP was wrong. The only reason why you think that would be because you don't understand statistics.

uclacarlos repped this.
  16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Trust me, I understand statistics fine. I also understand this was a close race where the Dems spent a lot of national resources because they thought they could win it. Larry Sabato had it leans Democratic also. Sink ran on a strategy of 'Fix ObamaCare" while framed ObamaCare as huge government intrusion into our lives. That said, I'll ask again:

Harbinger? Or close local race.

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Harbinger.

Libertarians will underperform their polling this fall, with the difference going to Republicans...:geek:

uclacarlos and American Brummie repped this.
  18. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    #319 Germerica, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    It's a district that she carried in 2010, Obama carried twice, and a race in which Democrats outspent Republicans 4-to-1 (otherwise known as the "race Democrats can't afford to lose.")

Here's a take on what it means..."The biggest influence of the outcome will almost certainly be fundraising. Democrats are going to have a much harder time persuading donors to open their pocketbooks to Senate and congressional campaigners in hopes of holding their Senate majority, and the prospects of a Democrat takeover of the House are now very slim indeed. No one will publicly say so, of course, but the instinct of lefty moneybags will be to put their chips on a Hillary Clinton 2016 presidential campaign."

19. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sink is a terrible canadiate she couldn't even beat ole Scotty boy in 2010 pathetic.

20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading the in-depth insights gleaned from your analyses over the next ten months will be rather exciting for me.

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Right.

Sink was the handpicked DNC candidate with huge national support. She had name recognition and she since she wasn’t in D.C. she didn’t have to carry the baggage of voting for ObamaCare.

22. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't care what money she had or who supported her you can't put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig. She was horrible.

23. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    GOP will keep the house and right now will take the senate. But November is a lifetime from now we shall see.

24. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    That doesn't reflect well on the national party, given that they hand-picked her, drove other candidates out of the Democratic primary, and poured a crap-ton of cash into her campaign. They obviously thought she was worthy enough to have Bill Clinton campaign for her. We'll see if they give her another go-around in November, but she lost to a no-name lobbyist FFS. That's just an awful showing.