The house is not falling-in "aka" Some perspective on Ronaldo's decline by Tostao

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by tpmazembe, Mar 22, 2006.

1. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Probably should have placed this within an existing thread as it touches on this current anxiety around Ronaldo coming so close to the WC; however I wanted to make sure the galera had a chance to read this piece by Tostao, so started a new thread.

I'm at work, so had to translate it very quickly....please read article on your own if you want original meaning in Portuguese, and please excuse any typos, errors, unintended omitions.

As always, [bracketed] comments are my editorials.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tostao column
    http://jbonline.terra.com.br/
    March 22, 2006

On Sunday, Folha [referring to the newspaper Folha do Sao Paulo] published a report by Marcos Guterman showing that Pele was also questioned before the 1970 WC, as is the case with Ronaldo today. It’s true. The headline of the paper of the era asked: “Do the boos mean the end of Pele?”

The article also made some statistical comparisons between Pele and Ronaldo. As both had played 14 games and scored 12 goals in WCs [ignores the fact that for two of those games Pele was incapacitated…but minor point of mine], it’s almost certain that Ronaldo will pass Pele in WC scoring.

However, in the most important comparison, that of goals per game for the Selecao, and not just WC games, Pele’s average is 0.83 per to Ronaldo’s 0.63 per. This is a big difference. Moreover, Pele was a ponta-de-lance who withdrew much further, organized the play and provided exceptional passing [Tostao here makes a point I’ve been making on BS for years when I see these inane goals/game comparisons between Pele and out-and-out center forwards].

The questioning of both, beyond being excessive and unjust, shows that all athletes, even Pele, have their periods of splendor that are less than the total duration of their careers.

A craque shines intensely for more or less 10 years. Afterwards, progressively, the frequency and regularity of their spectacular performances diminish. The moment that the decline begins in imperceptible. Yet, even when it becomes evident, the craque can still be better than others and have many moments of genius that, with time, become less frequent.

Even average players have their moments of glory and decline, in proportion to their technical abilities. It’s much easier for an average player to show regularity than for a craque. Someone once said that regularity is the virtue of the mediocre.

[I want you to think about what he is saying here…it’s a concept I completely agree with. I was having a discussion with DS about R.Gaucho’s performance in the first Barca x Chelsea game this year. Since I was at work, I read several posts about how he had a “bad” or “so-so” game. Then I watched it on TIVO that same night and was blown away by just how much he participated in the game in the second half, leaving the left flank and being involved in almost every offensive action, including the 40 meter run and pass setting up the second goal. He by no means had a “so-so” game…only compared to his highest standards.]

Romario’s splendor lasted about 10 years, from 1988 to 1998, up to the point where he was cut from the Selecao due to injury right before WC 1998. From that point on his mobility progressively diminished to the point that he stays fixed within the area awaiting the ball to score. As Romario was once a genius, he was able to recently win the Brasileiro scoring title at 40 years old.

Zico also had 10 to 12 years of intense luster. Whereas Rivaldo’s drop occurred quicker and much more suddenly, at least where the Selecao is concerned, after being a star from 1995 to 2003.

Youngsters who have only seen goals, snippets and games played by Pele at WC 1970 have not been witness to his most extraordinary moments, which occurred with Santos. Before the WC 1970, while still being clearly the best in the world, Pele did not possess the same magic as before. As he prepared himself for four months for the Cup and showed that he was still incomparable.

Ronaldo also had his physical and technical splendor for about 10 years, from 1993 to 2003. With exception of the final game, he was better at WC 1998 then he was at WC 2002. In France 1998, Ronaldo was extremely mobile, withdrew and dribbled forward, made passes and scored. At WC 2002 he reduced his operating range, but was decisive in his finalizations [to goal].

It has been several years that Ronaldo has not shined [excuse any grammatical faux- pas] in numerous successive games. As he will give his all at this WC – as Pele did in 1970 – and will receive passes from the best player and passer of the ball in the world [assuming he is referring to R.Gaucho], he’ll have excellent chances at being the Golden Boot of the tournament.

As occurs with great athletes, almost everything in life has its moments to shine. Things are eternal only in our dreams.

This existential angst, this perception of the transitional and finite nature of thing is, in the opinion of this neighborhood philosopher and psychologist, the principle reason for the emotional weakness of human beings.

2. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Great article, as always.

I really wish Tostao would give managing a go... I reckon he'd be excellent.

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Wait, Tostao is a psychologist :confused:

I have to say, that guy hits the nail on the head with stunning regularity. If only there were more people with such a comprehensive understanding of great players as he passing their views on, we'd all be that mucch more enlightened than we are!

I meant to read this after the Ger-USA game, but was instantly drawn in from the opening sentence to the end of the piece. Thanks for translating t, much appreciated.

4. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
  5. Andre_Fla81

Andre_Fla81 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Man, ESPN Brasil should somehow lure Tostão back into its commentators team for the WC. If only the guy weren't so recluse somewhere in Belo Horizonte or thereabouts...he is indeed the typical "mineiro"...LOL!!

6. ronaldinh010

ronaldinh010 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Great commentary. I will say this though: even within Ronaldo's 10 years (93-03), he'd already shown significant signs of slowing down. Of course, he's been plagued with injuries. I do agree we tend to be too hard on craques. Very good article indeed. My brother's always trying to say this to me.

7. Ronaldooooo!

Ronaldooooo! O Fenomeno

Mar 23, 2006
    Great article.

You are witnessing greatness, too bad so many dumb people can't realize that.

Ronaldo once great is declining slowly but he had his period of domination and sadly its over since Ronaldinho took over.

Every great player had experiernced this, Pele, Maradona etc. Ronaldo isn't different but i'm just gald that he still has those moments of magics and can still score goals with ease.

Ronaldo on his worst form still is a top 5 striker in the World. I think this next WC is gonna be the best we see from the GREAT Ronaldo.