THE HONORABLE MR. EDWIN F. HALE INTERVIEWED

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by SoccerMan25, May 16, 2016.

1. SoccerMan25

SoccerMan25 Member

Jun 28, 2014
  2. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SteveCo repped this.
  3. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  4. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    KidFlash and kenntomasch repped this.
  5. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Really? So you're telling me the owner of Turlock is considering leaving the PASL/MASL? Wow. Shocking news.

6. IL Kicks

IL Kicks Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he did say that NBA and NHL owners were calling him, but he did not say why they were calling him. They could have been calling him to tell him that they are not interested in the IPL and to stop calling them!

Elninho and NSL2004 repped this.
  7. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they are calling him back because he may be interested in bringing hockey and basketball back to the arena

8. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone else as stunned as I am that Lewis is the voice of reason on this thread?

KidFlash and kenntomasch repped this.
  9. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Yeah, I'm stunned, too.

10. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    In fairness Hale said a lot of stuff that could be confusing to a lot, especially if you heard previous interviews.

This interview: He praised Sonora's fans, the atmosphere of the arena and the team. Said it was like nothing else he had ever experienced.

Other interviews: Used Sonora's "bull fighting stadium" as a reason why the MASL was trash. So does Sonora suck? Or should we want more of them?

This interview: They (the IPL) have been receiving calls from NBA and NHL owners since announcing the league.

Other interviews: They (the IPL) have been reaching out to *AHL and *NBDL owners who have shown interest in the past and the MASL ignored. Big difference between the those leagues in just a matter of weeks.

As far as the 8 teams being "clearly stated" he actually said "probably gonna be 8 teams" that would be based mainly out of the North East and the Midwest. As it stands currently the 4 teams in the league are based out of the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast and only 1 team from the Midwest. If Hale is to be believed in this interview an educated guess would be the next 4 (or possibly more) teams entering the IPL will be from the North East (Syracuse & Utica/Buffalo/Rochester/MA market) and a team or 2 from the Midwest (most likely whoever they can talk into coming from the MASL/Chicago and/or Milwaukee/Missouri).

SteveCo repped this.
  11. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good overview of the Hale interview. If the IPL can get 8+ teams for year 1, that is a solid start. I feel cautiously optimistic about the IPL so far. There is apparently a lot of preparation still happening behind the scenes; I look forward to the upcoming news conferences. Some folks (especially on Facebook) just need to be patient and wait for more updates before passing judgment on the new league. As a Midwest fan, I do hope we get a couple more teams out here in addition to St. Louis.

cardshopmd repped this.
  12. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    As a Midwest fan, I hope that all the other midwest teams stay in the MASL and that St. Louis, if they survive, come back to the MASL after they find their travel situation untenable. I don't like MPS and I don't like Ed Hale.

Prosoccercdn and NSL2004 repped this.
  13. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    In fairness to Hale, the AHL and NBDL owners he's referred to could be the same people as the NHL and NBA owners he's mentioned. After all, 15 out of 30 AHL teams are owned by their parent NHL organizations. Similarly, 11 out of 19 NBDL franchises - 14 out of 22 teams if you count 2016-17 expansion franchises set for Greensboro, Long Island, and suburban Chicago - are owned by their parent NBA clubs.

That said, I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of a large number of NHL/AHL and NBA/NBDL owners opting to obtain Indoor Professional League franchises.

Scott717257 and SteveCo repped this.
  14. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Very true. I just know in all business, businessmen always give you a song and dance and it was clear Ed was playing the game.

I feel like this league is going to be solid, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time or the last, but like SteveCo I have optimism about the IPL.

SteveCo repped this.
  15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask yourself something, for just a second when you book passage on the HMS Optimism About The IPL:

If you can just create a solid indoor soccer league like that, how come it hasn't been done in...well, decades, really?

And if Ed Hale is the secret sauce, how come the other leagues he's been heavily involved with haven't been successful, but this one is sure to be?

Right now the IPL is like the third-string quarterback who you love because he hasn't played enough to throw three picks and fumble two center exchanges.

16. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think part of my optimism is the fact the MASL showed a national coast to coast league is possible. If the IPL can duplicate the MASL, while at the same time do it legally and put proper owners in place and not allow rec center teams in it can grow. How far and how big? Dunno. I've said before I don't think the original MISL days will ever be back, ever....BUT, reaching NPSL level shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

SteveCo repped this.
  17. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    The PASL was willing to be patient and flexible and it had the infrastructure of a 50-team national amateur league that was built up over 15 years.

The only way Hale could truly start a league out of thin air would be for him to put up $30 million and own all of the teams and then find buyers for them later.

18. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Well...Andrew Haines already owns half the leagues teams so...there's a start lol

SteveCo repped this.
  19. Wave Fan

Wave Fan Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    If I were a St Louis fan I'd be very worried that players were being sent from St Louis to the Florida franchise as well as the fact that every road game is a major travel. No longer can you reach many of the teams via a 6 hour or less bus trip.

SteveCo repped this.
  20. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More teams are being announced soon for the IPL. Obviously hoping for a couple more Midwest or 'mid-south' teams(Nashville? Louisville? Memphis?). As a Saint Louis fan, I am not panicking yet, far too early. If August rolls around and there are no more Midwest or 'mid-south' teams in the league, then yes, it becomes a serious concern. If new teams announce in May or June, there is enough time (assuming the new teams would have already hired front office staff, started their websites and social media, started appearing in the community, etc.). Everyone just needs to be patient.

As for sending players from STL to Florida, Andrew has only brought 3 players to the new team (so far). Anthony Arico (former Wave player as well) is a Florida native anyway. He is a very good Midfielder. Goalkeeper Sliwa is solid in goal and he will theoretically get a chance to start full-time in Florida instead of platoon with another GK as he did in St. Louis last season. Freddie Moojen is a solid Forward and will probably help coach also.

Yes, we will miss these guys but I feel that the Ambush can find adequate replacements, either already on roster or from elsewhere. No disrespect intended at all to those 3 guys; I feel we have some decent talent that could step up. This is not a Cleveland Spiders situation (interesting read on Wikipedia). It makes sense for the Florida Tropics to get a few decent players now to start the roster with indoor experience. Plenty of good talent in St. Louis, and we just re-signed fan favorite Corey Adamson to a new multi-year contract. I expect more new players signing on to the Ambush over the next several months.

21. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Never fear gentlemen....as soon as the AHL owners show up, the sport will be good again.

Shelts now takes off sarcasm hat to walk dog.

NSL2004, Scooge, KidFlash and 1 other person repped this.
  22. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    #22 NickWISoccer, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    the Cleveland Spiders were stripped of all their good players (like Cy Young) before the 1899 season- the owner moved them to his other team in St Louis. Back then, there was no World Series(The American League wouldnt start until 1901 and the first World Series wouldnt be until 1903), and there was no playoffs, if you finished first you were the champ. well, having nobody of any talent left on the roster the Spiders were bad. really bad. unfathomably bad. things got so bad, that the Spiders were forced to play 112 out of 154 games on the road due to poor attendance. they finished 84 games out of first 35 games behind the 11th place team, and won 20 games THE ENTIRE SEASON. their longest winning streak was 2 games, they lost 40 of their last 41,and 134 games overall. that losses record is never going to be broken, and the number of road games cant be broken because teams are limited to 81 road games now. the only teams in the same area code of suckage as the Spiders were the 1962 NY Mets , who went 40-120, and the 2003 Detroit Tigers , who went 43-119. the Spiders were contracted after the season, along with 3 others (Washington Senators, Louisville Colonels and Baltimore Orioles, who won 54, 75 and 86 games, respectively).

the shelts and SteveCo repped this.