The Holden vs De Ro Thread: Beating a Dead Horse

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Eliezar, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just going to say that currently we have Stuart Holden (2g 3a) and DeRo (4g 1a) has had plenty of bright moments in Toronto.

While people were scared of DeRo, they are not scared in the slightest of Holden. Outside of that I'm thinking that the change to Holden from DeRo is mostly a push.

Holden has definitely put in more defensive work and Holden gets called offside probably twice per game less than DeRo.

The two reasons I like this change are that Holden is on the up while DeRo has been on a downward slide AND that Holden is so much cheaper than DeRo.

In the end Julius James and Houston's unused salary cap will have a lot to say about whether DeRo opting out was good for Houston, but right now I'd say it looks like a push. Holden isn't an elite attacking midfielder in MLS, but then again...neither is DeRo. Morales, Schelotto, and Blanco were the elite attacking mids last year and will likely be again this year.

I think we're doing okay.

2. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden isn't as flashy or spectacular in the offensive end but he's still effective and like you said, he's still improving. And he is infinitely better in the defensive half than DeRo. His tracking back has saved a number of goals already. The only thing that DeRo brings that we might miss from time to time is the ability to do the spectacular and to score the important goal when you need him to. You can't teach that and I think he can still do that. But overall, I'm happy with Holden and the team we have now.

But I still think we could have got more for DeRo. :)

3. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the biggest rub for me. Trading someone to gain cap space is the equivalent of cutting someone and not having to pay their remaining salary. Right now, that's all we got for DeRo. You can't say how good James is when he doesn't even play.

When's the trade deadline? June 30 or July 31? I wouldn't be surprised to see James gone before then. Pissed yes, but not surprised.

The Dynamo need to find a way to re-sign Holden. You can't build the foundation of a team on someone who's contract ends at the end of this season. The reality is that after this season, we could be without Holden and Waibel: two of our most popular players.

4. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to little for DeRo? Check
    Need to lock up Holden? Check

I think the big problem was that DeRo would only go one place (Toronto) and that left the Dynamo with little impact trading ability.

On the other hand...I bet they could have gotten WAY more for DeRo if they traded him to Colorado, San Jose, DC, or...Dallas

5. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt that they'll trade James. What's the point? He makes about $40,000 so you get very little cap relief by doing so. Sure he doesn't add a lot to the team right now but he's also not costing the team much either and his relative youth is an asset. The only way I could see it happening would be if they need the spot he takes on the senior roster for some foreign player they sign on a free transfer or something.

As for Holden, I think Houston will make a play for him just like they did with Boswell. And just as with Boswell, it will be a good contract by MLS standards but probably something less than he could make in Europe. He'll just have to decide if making $100,000 in Houston is more appealing to him than making more for some team in a 2nd or 3rd tier European league. Only he knows the answer to that question.

6. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I think James might go-he didn't even suit up for Saturday and when Eddie comes back he looks to be the odd guy out when Richie and Wade are back to health and Waibel playing well. Cameron, whether he likes it or not, is now a center back for the foreseeable future.

I'll play devil's advocate on the Stew vs. DeRo thing. DeRo doesn't have a shot at going to Europe to play at this point, where as Stew does. Even if we throw DeRo like money at him, I think there's still a part of him that wants to test himself over there. So there's a trade off there.

7. BerlinTexas

BerlinTexas Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    My gut tells me Holden to Europe is a forgone conclusion. He's got an EU passport and is a star on the rise. He may resign this year, but it's just a matter of time. The biggest difference this year (knock on wood) is that Davis has stayed healthy and stepped up his game. Combine that with Stuie getting full time minutes (his first season as a full time starter don't forget) and you've got two players that are having a breakout year. Let's hope they keep it up!

8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I generally agree, but here is something to consider. If Holden wants to try to make a push to make the World Cup, he is better off in MLS. Many young players who go to Europe either go to leagues a little off the radar (Norway, e.g.) or to teams where they have to fight for playing time and don't seem to win playing time quickly.

IMHO, if Holden wants to make the World Cup squad, he will come back to MLS (especially if he continues to play well this year).