The Hex (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by MtMike, Nov 18, 2004.

1. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, this is who's in the Hex

USA
    Panama
    Mexico
    Costa Rica
    Guatemala
    T & T

Should finish ahead of at least Panama and T & T easily, assuring us of at least 4th, and probably Guatemala. Anyone here think we won't make it out of what is the weakest hex I can remember in a long time?

2. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    We should make it out without too much trouble (given we play like we should). That saidm I don't want to just make it out. Let's win the damn thing.

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Hm, I wonder how they'll seed us. If Mexico is number 1 and we're number 2, then it's February 9th at Azteca. Might not be a Cold War this go around. :(

So it might look like this?:

1.Mexico
    2.USA
    3.Costa Rica
    4.Trinidad & Tobago
    5.Guatemala
    6.Panama

February 9th-Matchday 1
    USA @ Mexico

March 26/27-Matchday 2
    Guatemala @ USA

March 30-Matchday 3
    USA @ Panama

June 4/5- Matchday 4
    Trinidad & Tobago @ USA

June 8- Matchday 5
    USA @ Costa Rica

August 17- Matchday 6
    Mexico @ USA

September 3/4- Matchday 7
    USA @ Guatemala

September 7- Matchday 8
    Panama @ USA

October 8/9- Matchday 9
    USA @ Trinidad & Tobago

October 12- Matchday 10
    Costa Rica @ USA

But who knows? Maybe we'll get number one and Mexico will have to play in even colder conditions. :D

4. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using your mock schedule.

I suspect the lads should come away with as high as 17-18 points.

15 and higher should qualify.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Re: points

There's no seeds for the hex, it's just a random draw to determine the order.

It really looks like there are three levels. USA & Mexico are the huge favorites, Costa Rica & Guatemala will fight for 3rd, and Panama and Trinidad will pull up the rear.

I would expect both Costa Rica and Guatemala to qualify for the World Cup, given that China just got eliminated. The fifth place team in Asia will probably be one of Kuwait, Bahrain, Uzbekistan, and North Korea. Guatemala could beat any of those teams, although I kind of hope North Korea qualifies, just because it's more interesting to have enemies.

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

North Korea is very unlikely to qualify. They caught an easy initial group and then slid in with some upsets (I think UAE was the favorite in their group IIRC). They're a good bet to finish last in their 4 team group. Good experience for them though going forward. Saudi's could finish 5th though so group them with the other teams. Japan, South Korea and Iran are the class of the region and they should go through fairly easily. Getting Jordan, China and Iraq out of contention early probably helps the cause of the CONCACAF side.

7. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

[I was really hoping Costa Rica would be knocked out last night. If they get there act together, they are the only team I fear in our region. We just always have extreme difficulty with them.

Of course, things can change big time over the course of qualifying, but if all teams play to their potential, here's how I see it turning out.

1. Costa Rica
    2. United States of America
    3. Mexico
    4. Trinidad & Tobago
    5. Guatemala
    6. Panama

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CONCACAF having four teams in Germany would be very very cool. I'd love to see Ruiz diving in Berlin.

On the other hand, four CONCACAF teams might persuade Jack Warner to think he's doing something right. Might not want to encourage that. :rolleyes:

9. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think El Tri has been quietly developing some good young players. Of all the teams in the Hex, they're the only one that is an absolute lock, although I think the U.S. is also pretty assured of going through. The Tico's lackadaisical semifinal effort doesn't inspire confidence, but maybe they've turned the corner and will be their usual bothersome selves in the Hex. On paper, probably so. I'm not sold on Guatemala for the 4th spot. I predict a real battle between them, T&T AND Panama for the 4th spot. Panama does have some offensive weapons, and will do better than most predict.

10. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The most pessimistic scenario I can imagine would still give us 16 points which should be enough to qualify. This weak hex takes a lot of the juice out of next year's qualifiers.

11. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico, US and Costa Rica again. Look for these guys in Germany in '06.

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

*stares down bmurphyfl*

Are. You. Frickin. Nuts?

Until we qualify, there will be no juice to be taken out of the Hex qualies. None. If we don't go into thi swith the mindset of "these guys are tough, better bring the "a" game", bad things will happen.

We still play Mexico and Costa Rica and that dirty diving twat Ruiz.

There be plenty of juice to still go round.

and nobody should count out Panama. They're gonna give some teams fits.

T & T is the only real easy touch out there

that said, I'd be hard pressed to figure out how the US can't make it.

and I'm praying for a home game for February.

13. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

While I think the team needs to stay focused every game, from a fan's point of view this Hex isn't nearly as difficult as it could have been. Knocking Jamaica out early is a realy boost to US qualifying chances. If you look at the teams, I just don't see 3 other teams finishing ahead of us.

Here's hoping we play Mexico early on. Their incredibly easy semi-final group made for some laughers in that round. I think they can be beaten early if for no other reason than stepping up in quality of opponents.

14. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI

It doesn't appear that you know your history. Qualifying is never easy. Last time around we struggled a litte in the semi finals, and then struggled in the second half of the Hex. We got 13 out of 15 points in the first five games and then lost 3 games in a row.

Though I would be shocked and upset if the US didn't qualify, but it is far from easy. We have four games in Central America. We were lucky to get a tie in Panama in the semi finals, and both Mexico and Costa Rica have proven difficult in the past.

15. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you really think that over the course of ten games the US will not accumulate more points than Panama and T&T? It would be one of the worst collapses in sports history.

I'm "cocky" enough to believe that we are not at risk of finishing in fifth or sixth in this hex. Call me crazy but that just silly old me.

Then it's a matter of whether we get one of the auto-berths or have to beat Bahrain/Uzbekistan/Kuwait/et al to advance to the WC.

Yes. I stick by my statement that I'm not as concerned about qualifying as I was for France or K/J. And hence, there will be less juice in these matches than there was in those qualifiers.

It doesn't mean I won't watch each match on the edge of my seat but I won't curl up in the fetal position on the floor if we tie Guatemala at home. (Was that just a triple-negative?)

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all shouldn't sell Panama short. I could see them finishing 4th.

17. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Concacaf Gold Cup is to be played in July between the games you listed.
    Practicly the same teams playing against each other within weeks, how weird is that. !!!!!

Just imagine the European Championship played right now in the middle of the WC qualifiers.

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2823

"The CONCACAF Gold Cup™ tournament takes place in the USA from 6-24 July 2005 with host venues to be announced soon. The first round consists of three groups of four teams with the top two teams in each group, along with the best two third-placed teams, progressing to the quarterfinals. Therefore each participating team will play at least three games and up to six during the Gold Cup. The qualifying event for Caribbean nations, the Digicel Cup, is already underway and concludes in February 2005. Central American qualifying also takes place in February 2005."

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So how good is T&T exactly? I haven't been paying too much attention to them. No Dwight Yorke right? I thought he retired from international football, but maybe he'd come back for this. Stern John is from T&T right, as well as Shaka Hislop? Anybody can give me any details about this team?

This hex is never easy people. Playing in Panama, Guat., and Costa Rica is tough. Haven't we only won one game in Central America in our history (Panama this past group), or did we beat Honduras Away in the last hex (I remember a Clintinho free kick, but I thought it was a tie.)

19. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    If El Tri is a mortal lock, then so are we. I predict a first place finish for the US this time around. We will lose 1 game and that's at Azteca. The third spot is up for grabs. Costa Rica has not infused any new talent into their squad. They live and die by Paulo Wanchope.

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We drew 1-1 in Panama this past group. According to http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/2002/concacaf_final.html we won at Honduras in the last Hexagonal.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. No Jamaica, Canada, Honduras.

T&T, Guatamala, Costa Rica, Panama? Okay, if we have to.

I don't even want to say an outcome is a lock, but

Go ahead and play your vacations in Germany in 1 1/2 years.

23. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    Not a lot of love for Costa Rica dispite a pretty good run over the last 6 or so years...

Now that they have gotten through they have a winter to complete their recovery from their Sampsonazation and I expect that they will be right up there with the US and Mexico again. There is a lot of talent, a lot of pride, and a lot of home field strength down there...

Guatemala looks to be the Hondorus of this round, a few very talented players with enough solid filler to be a good team, at least at home. Should be an interesting hex though it would have been better with the Boyz instead of T&T. (but not for Jack Warner)

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

TNT are not good at all. Who do they have? Stern and Avery? I'm picking them to be the anchor of this hex again.

25. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    As much as I want the United States to go through I am really disappointed with the weakness of the hex.

I don't rate Guatemala, TNT, or Panama at all.

One these teams will be an embarassment to CONCACAF in the World Cup (should they advance). This will lead to the usual gripping about how silly it is for CONCACAF to have 3 1/2 spots. Beating the AFC team won't mean much because nobody really thinks that they deserve 4 1/2 spots.

I don't look forward to Ruiz diving in Berlin; and I don't look forward to a team like Germany running up the score against them either. (Like they did against the Saudis). But that is what I anticipate happening.

IMHO Honduras or Jamaica are the only other teams in the region that might shine on the international stage. (Yes, I am aware that they failed to get out of the group stages.. and I am intrigued by Haiti, who didn't even make that far)

That said the Nats, Mexico, or Costa Rica could blow it (as the Ticos almost did in the group stage). But that is just stating the obvious.

I'd rather see the toughest grouping possible.
    US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras, and...