The Hammer Hamlet

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Riccardo55, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be my failing memory but I recall the reason 1996 Defensive Player of the year for the Rapids Dennis Hamlett retired because of Lymphoma, which required treatment.....now I see on the Rapids site that it was a 'stroke', not lymphoma. I find this odd for a few reason, one is that Curt Onalfo is listed as being the Lymphoma survivor...

Now back in 1996-7 it could have been an announcer or someone then that mixed up these two, or just rumors that get mis-applied to the wrong player ('Major League Slugger Admits to Steroid Use!' could be lots of names, eh?).

Anyone know if the Rapids bios are in fact, true?

Riccardo (an MD in my day job)

P.S. I know we lost 2-1, but watching Hamlett in 1996 steal the rock from Valderrama from behind in the last two minutes of the game was a great gem. Sent carlos flopping, no whistle! Mile High with us going towards the south goal....

2. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember something about a "blood protein" problem (don't know if that has anything to do with Lymphoma), but I've not been able to find anything anywhere that can confirm that.

3. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I'm totally not positive ... but I remember it being sickle cell anemia which is what jimmyco is referring to.

4. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be odd to be sickle cell if he's from central america, and to present later in life (not as a kid). Sickle Cell is a good way to cause a stroke in younger people, but they are often not so healthy (i.e. like a professional athlete).

R