The Growing Pains of The American Outlaws

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bballshawn, Mar 17, 2015.

1. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nothing like that happens. Ever.

russ, Marko72 and ttrevett repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mario Balotelli repped this.
  5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Another thing that never happens. ;)

Personally, one aspect of soccer culture (here and abroad, really) that I honestly do not care for, it's supporter groups. SG culture tends to be so... ick. Yes, it tends to bring out the uglier aspects of tribalism (again both here and even moreso in a lot of other places), but even when it's not, it's still icky.

I prefer watching the USMNT with serious devoted US national team fans, but I'm not AO, and I frankly don't care for AO.

6. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    The way our fan base at games is perceived by Mexico fans is puzzling to me. I've attended Nats games in Texas and California, and our fan base demographic isn't at all homogenous. I see tons of Mexican-Americans, Asians, grimy neck beard dudes, average Joe's etc. I've never once heard any kind of racist crap going on. As a matter of fact, our fan base has gotten into the annoying habit of shouting "********" on opposing team goal kicks.

That said, SG's don't interest me at all. I'm there to watch a game, and anything that distracts from that I try to avoid.

KCbus repped this.
  7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on the fence with "supporters groups". I love watching sports with die-hard fans, at least for the sports/teams that I myself am also passionate about. They're generally pretty knowledgeable about the team and the sport. Problem is when it gets out of hand. There's certainly a line that can be crossed when fans are too passionate, and maybe the AO have elements that are like that. It's difficult for me to damn an entire SG though, because I don't think we've got any groups with a history of being bigoted or what have you. Isolated incidents of bigotry happen in all fan-bases at all sporting events, not just in supporters groups.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    It's not just bigotry, per se (and in terms of SGs, AO is an amateur when it comes to bigotry). It just reminds me a little too much of my (thankfully) mostly forgotten Greek days back in college. Though I was one of them because, at my school at that time, not being one tended to make attractive girls a bit more disinclined towards you, shall we say, but I didn't like them much then, and I like them even less now.

9. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yeah i will not get suckered into that thread argument. i do feel bad for the one American posting there

10. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You're lucky. I've seen some serious ugliness come out of USA fans, particularly when games against Mexico come into play. 2005 in Columbus, witnessed a car of drunk frat-bros following an old Mexico fans around the parking lot chanting "Mow my Lawn."

2009 GC final: the US supporters section (AO not really a thing yet by then) broke into a "H1-N1" chant. (the 2009 pandemic killed 400 people in Mexico... totally uncalled for).

I have a lot of issues with AO, and a lot of things they deserve credit for, but the racist and xenophobic crap predates them by a long way.

Majin repped this.
  11. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't argue with those who had bad experiences with AO members--it happens, unfortunately. That said, this is by and large a hit piece. Not least of which because Tony Hernandez (quoted in the article) almost immediately came out criticizing how the article painted his view of the local-national relationship.

12. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Almost everyone in that thread is American.

AMLO2018, Sanchito and Majin repped this.
  13. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The women is question is a glory hunter and is notorious camera/media hog; both mentally and physically.

wixson7, doogiemo and bballshawn repped this.
  14. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    im talking about the page that was linked and the page after that. my bad

15. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Funny, I think most of us on that thread are American. National team allegiance notwithstanding.

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me it's the "I BELIEVE WE WILL WIN" chant. Makes me cringe. It belongs in high school basketball and chanted by adolescents.

Also not mentioned in the article the money and fees, where do they go? Never talked about....

The racism topic seems to surround Mexico games. I've heard many different opinions/stories throughout the years. Sometimes it's one drunk guy making the group look bad. Other times it's much more than just one person. Or just isolated incidents elsewhere in the stadium. Depends on who you talk to it seems. Frat party type atmosphere plus alcohol and you will get douchebag behavior from time to time.

ChrisSSBB and Chiquitibum repped this.
  17. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    this.

i think its the majority of ppl's inside thoughts, that they keep hidden, but when they are drunk it unintentionally comes out like word vomit.

makes me feel funny for pochos who root for the USMNT or are part of AO.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  18. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    But you shouldn't feel funny for anyone rooting for the US. No more than I should feel funny for people born and raised here, who decide to throw on the green jersey when Mexico comes to town.

USA All DAY and Marko72 repped this.
  19. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    thats different. If a Pocho goes to AO section and they start throwing beaner or go back to mexico insults, they are basically insulting that Pocho, aka one of their own.

if a pocho is in US and roots for Mexico, thats reasonable because it may mean a closeness to their heritage or parental influence, but its not insulting anyone specific group. Maybe a general group, being the entire US white population, may be insulted by an American rooting for another countries team, but you cant conform to that huge a population.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  20. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I dont give it a pass but, when playing Mexico its kinda expected(i think thats the ways to say it) Its like The Raiders vs 49ers(ok its nothing like that lol). But when you mix a fierce rivalry with alcohol things tend to get said.

21. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Only that the limited rivalry between the 49ers and the Raiders is regional and not racial...apples and oranges.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The US v Mexico rivalry isn't exactly racial, either. Though clearly in the minds of some people, it is.

(And I'd argue that the Raiders v 49ers rivalry isn't primarily regional, either, but rather mainly one of cultural identification.)

23. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    its the human weakness. we are all human. Slavery was a huge mistake in US and progress has been made, but as evidenced with recent events, there are still many bad things that happen.

http://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/articles/moving-foward...-we-can-do-better

These are great words, and the measures to come, may be interesting. there will always be a few losers in the group.

24. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    I'm a Niner fan that grew up in the Bay Area, there are Raider fans in my family...they tend to be older and were around when the Raiders had a Bay Area presence the first time around so it's based on that as well as the relative success in different eras...and Before you say something about niner fans seeing themselves as more classy or some other stereotype I would argue that Niner fans are much more aggressive, obnoxious, and ghetto. Raider fans are usually OK and looking to party...games at the Colosseum are generally fun and have a party atmosphere...not so at Niner games...but I digress...

AO came up during a time when the immigration issue was at the fore..and that quickly became a part of the attitude toward Mexico and fans of the team...let's face it...patriotism is a stupid (IMO) emotion rooted in base tribalism and it brings out the worst in most people...throw in alcohol and the bro culture and the xenophobia and racism will run amok...and it does...and it also affects people that normally wouldn't be into spewing stupidity because we're social animals and that's what most of us do...we follow the pack...

I have never had a problem with USMNT fans at bars or restaurants when watching games...they've been friendly for the most part...the one time I had an issue has been with AO outlaw fans at the WC final viewing party in San Diego...it was ugly...they were loud, talking shit, were drunk, and chanting USA...Yankee Doodle...etc during a game that had nothing to do with the USA...I told them to be quiet and they were all affronted...even though people around me were cheering me on...so they moved to another area of the restaurant and started it up again and recruited U.S. fans that weren't AO and worked them up to come back and confront me...they thought I was Argentinian...I told them I'm American and just wanted to watch the game...then they asked who I cheer for (it felt like a gangmember asking me where I'm from)...I told him Mexico...that got them riled up but then people started to crowd around me and told them to leave, then cops came, and it diffused...though the AO guys waited until I left the restaurant because all of their backup had left...lol...

I realize this is anecdotal but there are too many stories in this vein to ignore...

TL;DR

Niner fans are ghetto and the rivalry is regional and NOT cultural...AO are morons most USMNT fans seem to be cool.

25. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what is this bro culture you speak of? lol

no seriously, im going to google it

bballshawn repped this.