PBP: The Greatest Team The World Has Ever Seen vs. William Tecumseh Sherman's bitches

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by DrunkandDisorderly, Jul 21, 2020.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a battle I've been facing for years. Some people are simply incapable of being objective when it's their own team. And when it comes to commentary, people don't want information; they want AFFIRMATION. That's why every commentator that works for ESPN hates Ohio State, and why every soccer pundit sucks.

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the "all or nothing" deal our culture is becoming accustomed to doing.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True--however, I do like the slight change to that acronym some fans on my college team's board have made--to ESPiN...

4. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    This is my biggest rub with Twellman, Holden, Lalas, etc. You don't learn anything from listening to them. I realize you have to appeal to a broader audience and more casual fans to an extent, but just yelling and cycling through the same three basic talking points becomes obnoxious when done for 90 minutes. There has to be some thought and analysis eventually. And especially when it comes to Twitter, which has been the source of a lot of hate for Holden, taking 15 seconds to do a little research before hitting send would help. As an example, he deboarded a plane last year, looked up the Crew halftime score, and immediately declared Columbus a trainwreck. Nevermind that a quick search would tell you the Crew had had a good goal called back AND a bad goal awarded to the opponent by incorrect use of VAR...no, just shoot the tweet off and get the reaction. Aly Wagner during the WC two years ago was an example of someone who struck a good balance between information and energy. I knew nothing about Jordan Angeli before this year but have thoroughly enjoyed the breakdowns she does. In pointyball, I enjoy Todd Blackledge for the same reasons. Give me something other than hot takes and belaboring everything to death.

5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #205 TKyle, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    [Ignites flamethrower]
    This is directed at you for your quote, but also Trudjub, TrueCrew, and some other people upthread for their narrow and chiding perspective on this.

You do realize that announcers on a national network are generally supposed to be unbiased, right? Like, you tune in and get a good assessment of BOTH teams and what’s happening, like, on the field in front of you? If you (well, not you, since you don't follow throwball) tune into a Monday Night Pointyball game between the Packers and the Vikings, and the play-by-play guy drones on and on about Aaron Rodgers getting old, how great Brett Favre was, who the Packers might face in the playoffs or some such while saying very little about the Vikings, you better believe there are going to be some p!ssed off viewers, and there are going to be emails to or tweets about ESPN. And somebody's gonna want a word with that commentator on Tuesday morning.

If I have to watch a Crew match on ATL UTD's television network, of course there's going to be some bias. ESPN is not AUFC's local television partner. (Or are they?)

And, as for the aforementioned Twattmann and Gingerclown--do you have amnesia in regards to what these esteemed jackholes presented in tweets and commentaries during the time period between October 2017 and October 2018? Have you completely forgiven and forgotten what these asshats had to say? Perhaps you are quite the Michael Bradley (another asshat, but that's another post) in your zen-like achievement of peace of mind. As I've stated before, there are those of us who are still rather sore about these two. If they were to say "I am sorry for talking shit about or discounting Columbus," that would go a long way to restoring their credibility. Devils will put on parkas before that ever happens.

I have no qualms with Stuart Holden. Or Ian Darke. Or Jon Champion. Or Kasey Keller. Or Steve Nicol (he's a hoot!). Or anyone for that matter NOT named Taylor Twellmann or Alexi Lalas. And I didn't care for Twellmann (mls shill) or Lalas (egomaniac) before Oct 2017. They were asshats then, and over the subsequent 12 months cemented that status. So don't go broad-brushing Crew fan's hate for all the others. Taytay and Guitar Man are in their own, well, I'd say class, but that's not fitting for these two.

CybrSlydr and LaMacchia repped this.
  6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [re-aims flamethrower]
    Oh, so we're all supposed to be completely objective about a team that we're (let's face it, subjectively) fans of? I got news for you; most sports fans AREN'T objective. Goody to those that can watch an Ohio State throwball game objectively and have no qualms when a call goes against the Buckeyes. You're probably in the ~10% of sports fandom.

Not every commentator that works for ESPiN during pointyball season hates on Ohio State. In fact, since the apparent disappearance of Mark May (who very clearly showed his anti-Ohio State bias), there's been a lot LESS hating on Ohio State. The big problem with ESPiN during armball season is their nearly CONSTANT fellating on the SEC. I've talked to fans of schools in other conferences, and THEY notice it and are highly annoyed by it.

"Fans" (which you'll remember is short for fanatics) are not objective, nor do most realistic people expect fans to be (unless you're in this 10% of refined spectators). When watching a national telecast, if the commentators are being one-sided and droning on and on about one player, team, or conference, you better believe some fans are going to gripe. And rightly so.

You've been referring to "cancel culture" quite a bit lately. I think you're directing this paradigm on some things that just aren't true. People have been hating on announcers, columnists, and sports talk show hosts for as long as I can remember.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @TKyle no, I don't expect complete objectivity. Of course. I just wish more people landed closer to objectivity on the spectrum. As opposed to "anyone who doesn't pour buckets of praise on my team every time they open their mouth sucks."

TKyle, TrueCrew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  8. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how even when we're in absolute disagreement we're in agreement.

CybrSlydr and TKyle repped this.
  9. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    FCC have ridden their innovative 8-2-0 formation to a 1-0 halftime lead against the MetroCows.

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Complete objectivity is something I don't expect from fans. Certainly not here.

But when I see folks drifting too far off the reservation, I say something. That was the case the other night.

Look, if everyone wants to hate Stu/Tweety for being pro-move, fine. I'm with you.

But when everyone hyperventilates over (largely inagined) slights on every thing he says, you all just end up sounding ridiculous.

"Oh my God! Did you hear TT refuse to declare Nagbe & Artur the best CM duo in the league! Eff him! He sucks! He's so anti-Crew!"

I mean, Jesus. I'm a fan but I try to be objective. I fail sometimes. But I think taking LAFC's midfield trio as tops is perfectly reasonable, given what they accomplished last year. Yes?

There is plenty of stuff to attack/belittle Holden/Twellman about without inventing outrage over the reasonable stuff they do say.

TRUJDUB, KCbus and LaMacchia repped this.
  11. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    For Pete's sake! The question he was asked was about midfield duos! Even his broadcast partner was noticably frustrated with him not addressing the question posed to him! TT was asked a question about there being a better duo and waxed at length about a trio instead. A trio that was not even in the game. He was asked to provide insight, positive or negative, about a couple of players playing in the game that they were covering at that moment and he dipped again into fawning over LAFC.

And I might speculate that the question was asked in order to get TT to talk more about Columbus because a bulk of his talking was around Atlanta. As I posted earlier... my wife, a fan but not a die hard fan, who was barely paying attention to the TV made a comment about how much TT kept regurgitating the same one or two comments about Atlanta over and over and over. And then again for good measure.

"So Taylor, so who has the better chicken sandwich: Popeye's or Chik-Fil-A?"
    "I really like the Baconator hamburger from Wendy's."
    "Yes, but I was asking about chicken sanwiches."
    "Baconator. I mean the beef is just the right amount and the bacon is not too much..."
    "But for chicken sandwiches, you would like?...."
    "A Baconator without the cheese."
    "And there we have it, no answer about chicken sandwiches at all...."

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK... the 2-2 draw with Colorado means we face Minnesota in the round of 16.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ragging him for dodging the question is fine. Ascribing some anti-Crew bias to him everytime he opens his mouth is something else.

Every post you make demonstrates you have difficulty discerning between them.

Anyway, game over. We get Minnesota. And an extra days rest compared to the Loons. ANTI-Crew bias! They gave us extra rest! With the way we are playing! Might as well put us in the cooler!

TRUJDUB and LaMacchia repped this.
  14. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    ????? on that last part... I can discern just fine. Did I ascribe anti-Crew bias everytime somewhere? I would say my critique has been more along the lines that he has a select few teams he fawns over and usually has just 2-3 points he just repeats over and over again... And, usually once or twice a game, he makes some observation about an event that is strange if you are someone watching the game.

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Lalas is right to have doubts about professional soccer succeeding in a college town, yet he prances and preens his way around Austin Texas?

As for Twellman, he's a shill for the league. LAFC is the team they're promoting right now, as is his employer. Weren't they originally scheduled to be on the national broadcast 17 times this year? Something like that.

So his bosses, and the league ( which, per the contract, has announcer approval) want him talking up LA.

Nobody is interested in promoting the Columbus Crew. Not what he's being paid to do.

Ale Moreno is an honest man. He's not owned by the suits and doesn't have Don Garbers hand up the back of his shirt. The other 2 are trained seals.

POdinCowtown and Kryptonite repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gotten worse, though. But I was thinking here about Lalas and Twellman in particular, specifically because of their views on the move. I am not saying I liked where they were coming from, but I could understand it. Here, they will be PNG for the rest of their lives.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one I did notice--and it's a very fair critique.

TyphonInc and TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    [sarcasm]That's because they were expecting us to finish second and the majestic AUFC first.[/sarcasm]

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Five of those 17 (29% of the schedule) games were on broadcast TV. A few times were on Spanish-language TV which may or may not have been broadcast alongside FS1, ESPN or whatever.

We were on once. I can kind of see why, but not even at one of the teams Dawn Garbage is in bed with? Not at Orlando? Not even at Atlanta?

https://www.lafc.com/es/post/2019/12/19/lafc-announces-2020-regular-season-schedule

As far as OSU, I've been watching those games for decades. (Many of the games in the early 90s weren't televised outside maybe 1-2 per year that weren't a bowl game.) There may not be as big of an anti-OSU bias as some like to claim, but there is definitely an SEC bias, undoubtedly due to the SEC Network being part of ESPN. I've also noticed that, for whatever reason, Chris Fowler tends to say "Mighty Mee-shee-gan" and especially when talking about the OSU-TTUN rivalry. He'll say something like "Mighty Mee-shee-gan awaits in just three weeks" like they're some sort of threat to OSU's bowl chances.

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

TKyle repped this.
  21. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, to me, Lalas is playing a character. He's, dare I say, the heel to MLS and its fans. I would say he's trolling, but that's not even right. Lalas is just contrarian and, well, the heel.

Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with him - I expect him to disagree with the majority most of the time.

I'm still soul searching about why I like Twellman. I'll get back to you.

22. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's the Face to Lalas's Heel.

23. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Lalas = Hang?

I'm here all week folks.

TKyle repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where my scrapple analogy comes in. I love the stuff--but I don't expect others to. It's a matter of taste--and tastes differ.

25. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Scrapple fans represent!

But we've done this before...

FYI - I eat that stuff straight, none of that syrup on it

kgilbert78 repped this.