PBP: The Greatest Team The World Has Ever Seen vs. William Tecumseh Sherman's bitches

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by DrunkandDisorderly, Jul 21, 2020.

1. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Exactly , I think some just hate TT and anything short of a blow job will not satisfy our fan base

2. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is out for a few games minimum. Porter said it after the game. I assume he could be back by the semi final or final, but it isn't a definite.

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  3. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did they mention what his issue is ?

4. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not from what I can find, and I doubt they will say, but I assume it is quad/hamstring related from how he was walking on Thursday.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    My problem is when "it's about Atlanta" becomes "LAFC this and LAFC that". We were like an annoying opponent that has to be mentioned here and there.

TKyle repped this.
  6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Tarbell was motm. I didn't even expect him to play (thought Lampson was #2). Nagbe had a good night, Zardes was solid. It was nice to see Valenzuela back on the field but he didn't have a good match. Adi was really slow. I doubt he can start in Zardes' absence, Adi looks more like an 80th minute sub when we need a goal and have to add a body in the box.

It was interesting to hear Artur is trying for US citizenship in order to play for USMNT.

It's still a hose job that we don't get a 3rd place team in the next round.

7. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    annoying but when we beat all their Asses, it will be Great!

8. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously this wasn't stellar soccer by any stretch of the imagination. It got the job done. We absolutely carved them up in the first half though. It would have been nice to cash in 1 or 2 more of the chances to make the scoreline look like the game.

Those mentioning TT harshing their buzz about how good this team is may be forgetting that he was arguing for Nagbe and Artur to be the best midfield in the league.

Artur seems to be growing in confidence with every touch. I love to see it. He had a couple down years IMO after his first year with us. Playing with Trapp might do that to a guy. The US citizenship thing is interesting and maybe Trapp related as well. Artur sees Wil getting call-ups and must think to himselft, if that guy is good enough for the USMNT, then certainly I am too.

The second half was garbage except for finding out that Tarbel is a decent guy to have as a back up that has to start our next game.

Keita continues to play really nicely. Really loving his growth. Seems to improve with each opportunity. I had no idea he came to the game so late, bodes well for him to continue to improve. A guy I love to cheer for.

All in all, we did just enough to inch this one over the finish line. A full week to regroup and then on to the knockout. We'll know our opponent by a little before 1am tomorrow morning.

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant, slow everywhere. Slow to react. Slow to pressure. Slow to loose balls.

It was a comment directed more at effort when he does not have the ball than straight line jets.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We 100% agree on that. Plus, because LAFC is down 1 guy. ATL lost like 4-5 from their heydey: Almiron, Josef, Nagbe, Gressel, Parkhust, + a couple more defenders. No comparison.

Plus, didn't LAFC leak 3 goals vs Houston? How is that awesome?

TKyle and DGA57v2 repped this.
  11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned something to either Fat Tony or GGG about how Columbus fans are loyal, but when we turn, we turn hard and don't look back.

Twellman was pro-move and our fans haven't forgotten, just the way we never forgot about Nee hiding in the locker room, refusing to answer questions.

TRUJDUB and TKyle repped this.
  12. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut up and pay me for all the tailgate beer you drank in the past ten years.

I crack me up.

LaMacchia repped this.
  13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999

[​IMG]

TyphonInc, TKyle and kgilbert78 repped this.
  14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus Vilalba plus Pirez. Team was gutted. TT hasn't noticed yet but this is not your.....um...slightly older brothers ATL Utd.

Its like figuring the Yankees are the best team in baseball because Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera.

Other teams lost a key guy,(see Vela, Carlos, LAG) and managed to score more than....checks stats....ZERO frikkin goals in 3 games.

And I'm sorry, but they can babble "Pity Martinez" over and over and over until you want to throw something at that TV on the wall but where was he? What did he do? Where was he? Superstar bigshot did absolutely nothing.

He and Barco were the darlings of the media and they might as well have been back at the hotel staying cool while Adam Jahn, who simply cannot play, washed and waxed Jonathan Mensahs car.

I really do love like hell saying I told you so but Atlanta has nothing. Even with Josef, theyre a weak, badly led, shallow and dysfunctional team with limited talent, no ideas and no heart.

TrueCrew repped this.
  15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, that you happily offered me? :p:ROFLMAO:

16. LastOfEleven

LastOfEleven Member

May 1, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Artur mentioning this desire years ago. I would love to see it. And you are probably right on the mark with your reasoning!

It appears to me that the addition of Nagbe has unlocked Artur. He's now free once again to be the box to box pest he once was. I would love to see the stats on his km's covered per match. The young man sure covers some ground.

Bill Archer and Minnman repped this.
  17. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, was Valenzuela just rusty, or is he still not fully recovered?

18. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a reason we kept a Krypto Cooler outside with all the beer we didn't want.

Kryptonite repped this.
  19. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Artur is a #6. We tried to make him an #8. "He's Brazilian!" But it just never worked. He struggles in the exact facet of the game most needed in a #8, quick transition from defense to attack. Pan left and enter one Darlington Nagbe, the quintessential MLS #8. They tried to make him a #10 for a while, but it never took.

When Trapp was back there backpassing his way to USMNT call ups, Artur was struggling to transition the team to attack. He just couldn't seem to take 3 dribbles and hit a forward pass. Now, he doesn't have to. He presses the ball, wins it, drops it to Mensah and moves in to space while Mensah hits Nagbe for the transition. They all compliment each other in their movement. They all are in roles that fit their skills.

The best part is that it is only going to get better. I'm enjoying watching them play.

Tobias C, TKyle, TRUJDUB and 4 others repped this.
  20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I remember.

Do you remember us winning MLS Cup, the USOC, or qualifying for CCL in the last 3 years? Or averaging 50,000 a game? Me neither. Atlanta did all of them. That's why them crashing & burning is a bigger talking point. Yeesh.

And to pile on Bill's point, they lost Tata, too.

100% agree on Artur. While he is rangy and has some bite, he was a bit out of place as a #8. Not a good enough passer/connector. He fits much better as a #6 who gets forward some (when Nagbe is between the CBs) than an 8 who is nearly always forward (with Trapp between the CBs).

This way, our #8 is the better possession player and the #6 is the more aggressive defender. As it should be.

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #196 KCbus, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Only one match left in group D, and there’s still three possibilities for our next opponent.

MIN v COL

MIN win: They take 1st, and we face KC.
    MIN draw: They finish 2nd, and we face them.
    MIN loss: If it’s 1-0, it comes down to the disciplinary points tiebreaker. If it’s a one-goal loss by a higher score, they keep 2nd by virtue of goals scored. If they lose by more than one, they drop to 3rd on GD and we play RSL.

Kryptonite, TRUJDUB and zman31 repped this.
  22. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL looked just slightly better than a summer sun baked egg salad sandwich against SKC last night. So, I guess hoping for a big MIN loss tonight.

But, I like our match up against all 3. But thinking about 85 year old Beckerman try to match up with Artur and Nagbe makes me giggle a bit.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And so others don't have to search:

10:30 ESPN

24. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    All three Group D teams will be on our side of the bracket, and if KFC can manage a draw against Red Bull tonight (8 ET on ESPN), then the remaining third place team in our half would be either the Food Lions or Houston. Screenshot_20200722-191144.jpg

25. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am one thousand percent convinced that Columbus Crew SC "fans" will never approve of a soccer pundit not named Alejandro Moreno until someone gets on ESPN or Fox Sports 1 or NBC Sports Network and says "I am sorry for talking shit about or discounting Columbus." Anyone who doesn't say that is the boogeyman.

F*cking Stuart Holden married into a Columbus family. Does that mean nothing to you people? Are you totally incapable of seeing anything other than your bias? Is a man not entitled to a dissenting opinion?

Let's look at Alexi Lalas. His stance is/was that the Columbus Franchise is a risk, and that it hasn't been supported - historically - by the business Columbus business community and revenue has been lacking. Is he wrong? Is he making an inaccurate statement? Is a soccer team in a college football town not a risk? No. But his opinions are unpopular therefore he is the ginger devil incarnate and he's a big idiot poo-poo head.

And this is why I hate SportsFans. Y'all are completely incapable of being logical. Sigh. I love you all.

TRUJDUB and KCbus repped this.