The Greatest Players in English Football History

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by comme, Nov 9, 2007.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    6. Wilf Copping
    17/8/1909
    England
    20 caps
    Clubs: Leeds, Arsenal, Leeds
    [​IMG]

5. Emlyn Hughes
    28/8/1947
    England
    62 caps
    Clubs: Blackpool, Liverpool, Wolves, Rotherham, Hull, Swansea
    [​IMG]

4. Mike England
    2/12/1941
    Wales
    44 caps
    Clubs: Blackburn, Tottenham Hotspur, Cardiff City, Seattle Sounders
    [​IMG]

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    3. Tony Adams
    10/10/1966
    England
    66 caps
    Clubs: Arsenal
    [​IMG]

2. Roy McFarland
    5/4/1948
    England
    28 caps
    Clubs: Tranmere, Derby, Bradford, Derby
    [​IMG]

1. Sol Campbell
    18/9/1974
    England
    73 caps
    Clubs: Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Portsmouth
    [​IMG]

Gregoriak repped this.
  3. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sol Campbell higher than Emlyn Hughes?

Certainly, I'm bias. But, someone needs to justify that to me.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It's all going to be subjective, but Campbell has been now either the best or among the best central defenders for the last 12 years, not just in England but in the world. Campbell is a wall, he can single-handedly make a defence.

He was as strong as any defender in the league, quick, excellent in the air, a superb tackler, a leader, good with the ball at his feet (despite looking clumsy).

His only fault was that he could be drawn out of position at times.

5. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then, why was he let go from the full international set-up and his previous club team?

To my knowledge, he's never been first-choice captain at either club or country - like Terry and Hughes. He has never shown an ability to go forward like Hughes. Hughes has won all major honors over a number of years, where Campbell has never seemed to rise to any occasion.

I see Campbell in the Top 5. But is there anything especially significant about his ability or career to make him #1?

What separates him from Terry, Charlton, Hughes, or Adams?

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He wasn't let go. He was first choice until late 2004 when he got injured. By the time he had come back to fitness Terry and Ferdinand were playing well together and he didn't get back in.

Arsenal let him go because he said he wanted to go abroad and he seemed to have had a nervous breakdown after the West Ham game. The fact that he then went and was outstanding at Portsmouth showed that Arsenal made a mistake.

Remember Emlyn Hughes was let go by Liverpool, was consistently played out of position for England, was dropped by England on numerous occasions.

He was captain of Spurs, no ex-Spur is ever going to be captain of Arsenal and now he is captain of Portsmouth. He was all set to be captain (having been vice-captain) of England but Peter Taylor gave it to Beckham for some reason, and then Eriksson carried that on. He was the youngest man to captain England since Bobby Moore.

I haven't taken European or internation performances into account in any of this but he has been in the squad of the tournament three times. He scored the opener in the CL final. So to say he hasn't risen is pretty unfair.

Campbell has won all the honours in the domestic game.

All these things are close calls. On GKs, there isn't much to choose between Banks and Shilton, but if you have an order there needs to be one.

No other defender has had such a set of attributes that you would want for in a stopper, nor done it at such a high level for such a long period of time.

7. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Got to agree with Campbell being right up there - if not first then i would have him second.

I would have Des Walker higher, just outside the top 10 possibly. For me he is possibly the most under-reated player on the list, a top quality performer throught his career in England.

Stam would not make my list. As good as he was, 80 league games just isn't enough warrant inclusion.

Ron Harris should really have been included as well.

I would tend to have listed Neil Franklin on the second list. He may have been able to play a bit, but he was ultimately a stopper. McGrath should also be ahead of him - I would have him 3rd on that list.

For me Colin Todd should also be higher, certainly above O'Leary.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  8. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    I haven't seen some of the top 5 play because of my age obviously, but regardless I don't think Sol gets #1. I'd put Adams ahead, and then based on names and overall reputation, I'd guess most would put Hughes and Charlton ahead of him as well (as 26 has said).

Also, a 12 ranking difference between Terry and Carra? Will players be included in two lists i.e. Carra on both CB and RB, because that had to have hurt Carra's spot no?

And if this is based on their English careers only (which I assumed it was), I don't think Stam deserves a spot ahead of Carra.

9. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    A few things about the last two:

- 26. William Gallas.

I am very surprised by this. I think he should be put in another list if the argument is that he's not played enough in the middle or not been as good there for Arsenal as he was at Chelsea. He's got to be right up there in one list or other. He was immense at Chelsea, comfortably their best defender, and that was in a record-setting team.

- 10. John Terry.

I don't know what that's based on. He's had one stellar season, and a few choppy ones - certainly not in keeping with when he won player of the year. Are you saying that, evened out, he still ranks 10 for you?

- No Ricardo Carvalho in either list.

Very, very surprising indeed. Especially how Ledley is in there. I haven't checked, but surely they've played a similar amount of games now - well, certainly whilst King was a noted CB anyway? Carvalho is Chelsea's best central defender outside of Terry's stellar season. How's he not on the list, an accident or ?

- Des Walker should be higher up.

Or not?

- McGrath should be higher up.

He was stellar at Aston Villa and won PFA player of the year there as well, an incredible feat for the era. I am curious as to what has him ranked down as he was solid at United as well, even if he was sloshed out of his head.

- Sol Campbell at #1 i

Is great to see. :p wondered what you'd do there. Kudos you didn't.. :D

- Jaap Stam

Now I know lanman's argument about longevity is a stickler for him, but Stam was a revelation until his last season and won 3 league titles on the bounce as well as the FA Cup, and he was very much essential to the backline's he was in until he 'left' I don't know where I'd put him, hence just leaving a name there, but I'd like to know your thoughts on his positioning. Is it only longevity that has him where he is (low)?

All-in-all, a good job. A very tricky minefield to sort out there (Pallister should be on the other list) I don't envy your task. I figure a few will be put in midfield who aren't on either list.. should be interesting.

10. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Campbell at #1 :eek:

I'm not going to argue or question it, just going to say i am surprised to see that Campbell had surpassed so many others. I guess I never appreciated how good Campbell was then.

On another note I thought i could tell the difference between a stopper and a centreback but it seems i was wildly mistaken. Can anyone go into more detail about the difference between them ??

11. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair points. I'm not entirely sure you couldn't be as rosy about other players performances. But, I'll agree with what you've said.

12. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so mad about Sol being named number one, but Terry's inclusion so high is a mystery to me. Especially when he is ahead of certain players that I think are better than him.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Players will only be rated on one list. Carragher was a pretty average player until Henchoz left Liverpool. As a right-back I didn't rate him.

As a centre-back his best performances have been in the CL, which I have not counted. Terry on the other hand has been better in the league than Europe.

14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He was class, but as with so many he suffers from his time at left-back. I know that a numer of people thought he was the best defender in the league for a time, but I never really did.

I personally thought he was world-class in 2003-4, 2004-5 and 2005-6, and just very good before that. Before 2006-7 so many people were saying that the only reason Terry looked good was because of Makelele. Once he was injured people realised how good he was.

Carvalho struggled to be first choice in his first season, didn't play particularly well in his second, and was brilliant last year. To me that doesn't merit a place.

I hope he won't mind me saying this, but Tom Clare put Carvalho 8th on a list of central defenders (he didn't split them out like I have). I almost choked when I saw it.

The King is a personal favourite, but if he was playing for United or Chelsea (and was fit) he would always be in the "best defender in the league lists"

Excellent player, phenomenal pace, hurt by never playing with a bigger club.

Higher up than 5th? The only place he can take is 4th and that would be on longevity.

As much as I may despise him, he is a phenomenal player.

Yes, he was incredible in his time in the Premiership. As a 3 year spell, very few have come close to it. He was only here for 3 years though.

Coming up with a top 30 is tough, putting them into an order is almost impossible.

15. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Having him 26th is very controversial. I think he's been top 3 as a defender for a very long time, with last season being his only blip and that had a lot to do with injury. Obviously, being a multi-positional player is not going to help him, but I wouldn't have him at 26th in any of the lists - he's higher than that across the board. I figure that multi-positional players will be the biggest fall-guys in such lists an ironic twist of fate where their gift is a curse. Certainly in the top 3 surprises I've seen thus far, interestingly along with other Chelsea players.

Can agree wholeheartedly with 03/04, but after that we differ quite considerably. I still don't see what he's done to date to be in the top 10. It's an incredibly lofty position.I don't think his performance level merits it.

We're polaric here. Carvalho has been quite fantastic for a very long time. I really can't fathom him not being in the top 30 when I think he's been better than Terry, who is in your top 10. I haven't had a go at a top 30 myself, but I know for sure I'd have Caravlho in there in a very comfortable position. I don't know if I'd have him as high as 8th, but it's roundabouts where I'd imagine him to be give or a deficit of no more than seven.

The problem is that he's never fit. His performances are becoming quite the yesteryear memory and I'm curious as to how many games he's played in for you to rate him in the top 30. On talent, he's comfortably there, but by longevity or impact?

Hehe, that's a can of worms for you right there. Chattermouth was a superb centre-back - I don't know why not playing for a big club negates that? It won't do for Finney, Matthews or a host of others, surely, so why Des?

Yea, I figured. Quite a travesty of his own making. I suppose knowing what he was as opposed to what he managed will temper his ranking. On his day, he was an equal of any of those ranked above him, which makes it quite odd to see ranked at 5th.

It's great to see you give his due is all. :D

See the King point. But yea, I can see where 3 seasons make it problematic. (I could see that for Carvalho also.)

True. But it does make for some decent discussion. Your minefield is only just starting :D

16. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    It will certainly be interesting in Tom Finney's case. Undoubtedly one of the best players ever in England, but he had substantial time on both flanks and also at centre forward.

I don't think playing for a big club should be an issue whatsoever, and in Walker's case it shouldn't be an issue. For his last five years before moving to Italy he was as good as any central defender in the country and was up there as well for a good few years at Sheffield Wednesday.

At his best he was better than Hansen - he could deal with pace, skill or power eqaully well and in any conditions. He suffered a bit under Ferguson's strictness, but when allowed to prepare as he saw fit (ie not bother training or even playing drunk) he was as good as anyone.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!

Concur on all accounts. But this is comme's can o' worms! :D

I was surprised to see McGrath at 5th and Walker where he is.

18. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that is the truth. Just wait until we get to central midfielders and strikers...then the discussion will be good.

19. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Although I can't imagine any arguments about the number one for the right wing.

20. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jermaine Pennant of course :eek::rolleyes::D

21. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be most interested in the left wing position.

22. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Indeed. There are three outstanding candidates and each could be top depening on the criteria used.

23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'd have both Gallas and Marcel D ahead of Terry in terms of pure ability

But maybe Desailly never had the record in England? I dunno - i didn't watch much chelsea football in that period.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I have split central midfield into defensive midfield and attacking midfield. Attacking midfield will include the "deep lying playmakers", while defensive midfield will include "box to box" players. In some cases the distinction will obviously be dubious.

Defensive midfield

30. Manu Petit
    22/9/1970
    France
    63 caps
    Clubs: Monaco, Arsenal, Barcelona, Chelsea
    [​IMG]

29. Jimmy Gabriel
    10/10/1940
    Scotland
    2 caps
    Clubs: Dundee, Everton, Southampton, Bornemouth, Swindon, Brentford