The greatest player you've never seen play but heard great things about?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    comme's threads has made me curious. Many are being honest enough to say they are voting for who they have seen play extensively (or enough to evaluate them) and that is fair enough. I guess the thinking being: why buy into a 'myth' you've never seen with your own eyes or 'he can't be as great as he is now eulogised to be in textual folklore' etc, etc.

The idea of this poll is to see who of the players you never seen play but have heard/read so much about wins your vote. This isn't designed to mock anyone or slight your choices in comme's polls - I mean, it is actually very difficult to get footage of some of these players other then a few clips so I definitely understand why some would remain sceptical as seeing is often believing. All I ask is that you vote honestly in this poll.

Thanks.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Obdulio Varela, the inspriational captain of Uruguay's 1950 World Cup team. He was a guy that had a great will to win, he was great in the 1950 World Cup and also did very well in 1954.

I would say Lev Yashin too but I've seen footage of him but it's not great footage of him.

3. Laurie Cunningham.

4. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    voted for garrincha with no second thoughts, but surprised to not see di stefano mentioned.

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It all depends by what you mean of never seen play. There are plenty that I never saw in the flesh but I have seen clips of pretty much everyone.

Some of the clips are very brief of certain players, and also defensive players get so little attention, as the clips are, in the main, goals which they could have prevented.

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    The three players I would really like to see extensive footage of would be Alex James, Ricardo Zamora and Dixie Dean. From the list (other than Zamora) I have seenat least reasonable amounts of footage, but would certainly like to see more of Varela.

7. Peruvian_6663

Peruvian_6663 Member+

May 28, 2005
    In my House
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    ur missing Cesar Cueto ugo sotil La Rosa and Cubillas :)

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also want to mention Guillermo Stabile, Zizinho, Ademir, Helmut Rahn and Oldrich Nejedly. I've only seen about 10 seconds worth of footage of Rahn, which included his goals in the 1954 World Cup final and the winner against Yugoslavia in the 1958 World Cup.

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Di Stefano and the entire Real Madrid team of his era.

10. Hannah Lee

Hannah Lee New Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Garrincha, Puskas, Yashin. I've heard plenty about them but have never seen them play.

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For those who haven't seen these players in action, its about time now, get to it.

12. jp77

jp77 New Member

Apr 18, 2002
    USA- CT
    for me Garrincha.....my dad lived in Brazil for most of the 60s and he said that Garrincha was awesome....his moves were ridiculous, only his off-the-field debacles brought down what was a great player...I have seen some video of him in the "History of Football" dvd set and he looked really good

13. cristianoronaldo17

cristianoronaldo17 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    Garrincha my dad said he could get past a whole team, he would always go to the right but the defender never knew when

14. HjkF50

HjkF50 New Member

May 1, 2005
    NOVA
    Cruyff, beckenbauer, maradona, pele, and the list goes on and on ,

i'm only 14 :cool:

at least when i'm older i'll be able to say that i saw Ronaldo, Zidane , Henry, and Ronaldinho play

15. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cruyff definatelly for me because of the fact that I was always taught to do "Cruyff's" dribble move, but have never actually seen the man in action footage; much less doing the move.

16. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's difficult to judge a player's greatness having not seen him or her play

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're kind of supposed to judge them based on what you've heard, as far as this thread goes - after all, seeing them play disqualifies them for the vote in this poll.

18. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Di Steffano. Were video cameras even invented back then? i've never yet to see a single clip of him.

19. Ibranco

Ibranco New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Kingston, Canada
    Mario coluna. The only old footage of Portugal i have ever seen is of Eusebio. Granted there are other great players outside of POrtugal :eek: but when you speak of Portuguese greats of the past you speak of Eusebio and Coluna.

20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  21. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Giani(spl?) Rivera.

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  23. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    In my clamour to get 16 on I deleted Di Stefano :( apologies. Please state if he was your choice.

24. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003