The Greatest Ever Left-Winger

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jul 11, 2005.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Here are the options for the left midfield position.

This is far from clear cut with a few good options.

2. Heff

Heff New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Relegation Battle

As I suggested in the attack mid poll, Robert Pires needs a mention. If Giggs in his hey day is in the poll then Pires currently or in the past 3 seasons should defo be in.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Giggs has been consistantly great for a decade.

4. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Ouch, no Piet Keizer.

5. Gringocholo

Gringocholo New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Dublin
    Nedved does'nt play on the wing.Agan crap list to pick from.

6. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    I vote for Abe Lenstra.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

no kidding, WTF?

8. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Although his presence in this poll is a tribute to his versatility, IMO Rivelino should really not be on this list. Not because he wasn't great (he was); but from what I remember, he only played 5 games his entire international career as a winger (in order to accomodate the 5x"10"s at WC '70). He did a fantastic job, but shoudn't be sharing votes with players who played that position their whole careers.

He should be in one of the more central midfielder polls, where he played most of his career in Brasil and for the NT.

I've decided not to worry about defensive abilities of my wingers, and will go for Czibor of Hungary.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree that a true and traditional left winger ala Best/Giggs should be there ahead of someone who managed to play on the left from time to time... oh well, such is life.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Zagallo should be on the poll ahead of Rivelino IMHO. My vote though is for Best.

11. Perchik

Perchik New Member

May 24, 2004
    Chicago
    With all due respect to Giggs and Best, my vote goes to Paco Gento. He's by far the fastest and the most consistent winger among all choices. 18 years on the highest level, 6 time CL winner, 12 La Liga titles, he's probably won more titles throughout his career than anyone else... ever, starting in a team full of stars for such a long period of time - simply amazing.

12. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Dutchies, no Keizer =/

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Best, Czibor, Gento, in that order.

14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    There are a lot of players on this list who played more than just the left wing on top of those mentioned -

Schiaffino could be classed as either an attacking midfielder or withdrawn striker.
    Finney could (and did) play anywhere accross the front line (although he is most recognised as a winger)
    Best likewise.
    Czibor was an inside left who was shifted out to the wing because of Puskas.

Much as I would like to vote for Finney (who I think was the best player on the list) I'm voting for Czibor as he was the best left winger.

15. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Someone who wasn't even a winger is going to win this poll.. hmm :D

16. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Benn

oh, OK. Czibor.

17. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
  18. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Baxter was a pure midfielder (left half) but Cooper is a good shout - one of the most naturally talented players I've ever seen. Just a shame it never worked out for him with the national team.

19. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    This poll has the most flaws...Nedved, Rivelino etc. I voted Rivelino because I thought he possessed the amplest skill set and displayed them successfully at the highest level. If there was no Rivelino on the list, I would go with Gento.

20. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    It amazes me to see, apart from Astabooty; Bluedaddy and myself, no mention at all of Piet Keizer. This man was pure genius, he was one of the main reasons Cruijff looked so good. Cruijff could count on atleast one not-to-miss chance every match from Keizer. Keizer could be invisible for an entire match and then leave an entire defense behind him in his wake to pass the ball with deadly precision to Cruijff who only had to tap the ball into the goal. There were even people who thought Keizer was an even better player then Cruijff. A great example of this is the goal from Cruijff in EC 1 finale in 1972 against Inter.

This man was certainly a better player then someone like Nedved who is on the poll and isn't even really a left-winger.

There you go tpmazembe. ;)

21. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    being too young to yet wield a driver's license, i feel that i should only vote for the players that i've actually seen, especially when one of said players has the craziest dribble in all the land............

Denilson

22. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    True. Just wanted to get his name in! :D

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I am sorry if I misrepresented Rivelino, if I am honest I didn't for a second think that he could possibly win this poll. Maybe I was just seeking to give him some representation, ditto Schiaffino.

I had expected Best to walk it, perhaps that is being British, half the people here over 40 consider him to be the greatest player of all time bar none.

Piet Keizer was an omission, as I said in the other thread.

Nedved is a left-sided midfielder, maybe not a winger but his place is in this poll.